Daily Current Affairs 31 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Yogi inaugurates Mahesra bridge connecting Nepal to east UP
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the long-awaited Mahesra over bridge at Sonauli-Gorakhpur National highway (NH80). The bridge would connect Gorakhpur and other east UP districts to Nepal. It will also become a major route for people going from Gorakhpur to Balrampur, Maharajganj and Gonda.
MCD launches new app to improve civic services
Mobile App 311 was launched by Delhi’s Lt Governor Anil Baijal. It is a mobile application of the three municipal corporations of Delhi (MCD) that was launched in a bid to enhance engagement of citizens in resolution of grievances and improvement of civic services in the city.
- Once a complaint is submitted by citizens in via the 311 App, it will be resolved by the designated officers of that locality identified by the geo-tagged photo.
Delhi most polluted among 280 cities where air quality is tracked
Airpocalypse II, a report by environmental NGO Greenpeace India, has found that more than 47% of the population in India is still living in areas where there is no air quality monitoring.
- Greenpeace researchers analysed PM10 (coarse pollution particles) annual averages for 280 cities monitored by the Central Pollution Control Board under their national air quality monitoring programme, which shows Delhi to be the most polluted and Hassan in Karnataka to have the cleanest air.
19th India International Watch & Clock Fair Samaya Bharati 2018 Inaugurated in Mumbai
The 19th India International Watch & Clock Fair “Samaya Bharati 2018” was held in Mumbai. The Fair, a grand horological event, was organized by India’s leading watch & clock magazine “Trade Post” under the auspices of Watch Trade Federation and supported by other trade bodies.
3rd Scorpene-class submarine, INS Karanj, launched in Mumbai
The third indigenously-built diesel-electric Scorpene-class submarine, INS Karanj, has been launched at the Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) in Mumbai.
The first of the vessels, INS Kalvari, was commissioned into the Indian Navy on December 14, 2017 while the second, INS Kandhari was launched in January of that year and is undergoing sea trials.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI signs Information Utility agreement with NeSL
State Bank of India (SBI) announced signing of a Information Utility (IU) agreement with National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL), the first information utility registered with the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI), to share financial and security information under IBBI (IU) regulation 2017.
India’s GDP growth fell to 7.1% in 2016-17 from 8.2% in 2015-16: CSO
According to Central Statistics Office (CSO) data, in line with the earlier official estimate of the country’s GDP growth in the last fiscal, India’s gross domestic product during 2016-17 grew at 7.1 per cent.
India slips to 42nd place on EIU Democracy Index; US at 21st
India has slipped to 42nd place on an annual Global Democracy Index amid “rise of conservative religious ideologies” and increase in vigilantism and violence against minorities as well as other dissenting voices.
- While Norway has again topped the list, followed by Iceland and Sweden, compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), India has moved down from 32nd place last year and remains classified among “flawed democracies”.
India becomes third largest producer of crude steel
According to a recent report published by World Steel Association (WSA), India overtook the US to become the world’s third-largest steel producer in 2018.
- China has remained world leader by producing 831.7 MT in 2017, up 5.7% from 786.9 MT in the year-ago period.
- Japan is second largest global steel producer.
Google seals $1.1bn deal to acquire HTC’s talent
Tech giant Google has announced the closure of a USD 1.1 billion deal with smartphone maker HTC, following which the former is set to acquire the latter’s design talent.
Paytm, AGTech launch mobile gaming platform Gamepind
Chinese gaming and entertainment company AGTech Holdings Limited has entered a joint venture with Paytm to launch Gamepind, a mobile gaming platform with social and casual games that include rewards. Gamepind includes casual games, contests, and sports games, combined with a rewarding and engaging winning experience for the end user.
Google Forays Into Hyperlocal News Through ‘Bulletin’ App
Google has introduced a new app named “Bulletin” that allows anybody to submit stories for and about their communities.
- This is a free, lightweight app for telling a story by capturing photos, video clips and text right from your phone, published straight to the web.
- The app is made for contributing hyperlocal stories about your community.
Anu Kumar wins first gold medal of Khelo India School Games
Anu Kumar of Uttarakhand grabbed the first gold medal of the Khelo India School Games in 1500 metres at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
Table Tennis: Sharath Kamal lifts National Men’s singles title for the eighth time
Sharath Kamal beat top-seeded Anthony Amalraj to win the men singles title for the eighth time, equalling the feat of Kamlesh Mehta in the 79th edition of the 11Even Sports Senior Nationals in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Suthirta Mukherjee from West Bengal emerged the new women champion, beating Hyderabad Nationals winner Manika Batra.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Calicut University confers D.Litt on Mohanlal, P.T.Usha
Calicut University conferred honorary Doctor of Letters (DLitt) on actor Mohanlal and athlete P T Usha at a special convocation ceremony.
- The rise of Mohanlal opened a new era in Malayalam cinema. Usha rose to national attention at a time when India’s athletic scene was marked by pessimism and doubts about the country’s future in sports.
Soumitra Chatterjee presented Legion d’Honneur
Legendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee was presented France’s highest civilian award, Legion d’Honneur.
- In 1999, Chatterjee became the first Indian actor to receive the ‘Officier des Arts et Metiers’, the highest award for arts given by the French government.
Renowned Sri Lankan filmmaker Dharmasena Pathiraja passes away
Renowned Sri Lankan filmmaker Dharmasena Pathiraja, fondly referred to as ‘a rebel with a cause’ and acclaimed for his compelling portrayals of urban underclasses has passed away.