Daily Current Affairs 1 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NITI Aayog’s Aspirational district ranking : Chandauli of UP tops in December 2019
Chandauli district in Uttar Pradesh has topped the list of aspirational districts ranked by the government think tank Niti Aayog in December 2019.
- Belangir (Odisha) and YSR (Andhra Pradesh) have been placed at the second and third positions, respectively, Niti Aayog.
Assam Rifles builds war memorial in Nagaland for 357 martyrs
The Assam Rifles has constructed a combined war memorial in Nagaland for the 357 Army and Assam Rifles personnel killed while fighting insurgency in the northeastern state.
- The memorial has been built at Mokokchung, which is also the cultural and intellectual centre of Nagaland.
Luxembourg foreign minister Jean Asselborn meets EAM Jaishankar during his 2-day visit to India
Visiting Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn met External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar in New Delhi . As part of the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Luxembourg had issued a special postage stamp.
- The Ministers reviewed the bilateral relations between the two countries and discussed ways to further strengthen ties in the areas of trade and economic cooperation, space, political and strategic relations among others
Assam tops in best budgetary practices followed by states, Meghalaya at bottom: TII survey
Assam occupied the top slot in the ranking of best practices followed by states in Budget formulation, followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha, says a survey by Transparency International.
- The states which figured lower in the ranking were Meghalaya, Manipur and Punjab.
NCRB Launched ‘Searching the missing persons’ & ‘Generate Vehicle NOC’ services
The National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) launched police-related citizen-centric services in New Delhi .The two online services will help citizens in searching missing persons and generating no objection certificate (NOC) for vehicles.
- Both services can be accessed through gov.in or through a link in the existing Digital Police Portal.
India-Bangladesh joint exercise SAMPRITI-IX to be held in Meghalaya
The ninth edition of joint military training exercise between India-Bangladesh — SAMPRITI-IX will be conducted at Umroi, Meghalaya from February 3 to February 16.
Govt of Odisha launches virtual police station
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched a virtual police station along with two other transformational projects of the Odisha Police with an aim to reduce human interface with government offices.
- The three projects include Virtual Police Station, Road Accident Case Documents Module and Medico Legal Opinion System.
- This is the first transformation project under 5T initiative which the police department is going to implement. One of the main objectives under the 5T is to reduce the necessity for the public to go to government offices
World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) 2020 held in New Delhi
World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) 2020 is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) held in New Delhi, India, under the overarching theme, ‘Towards 2030 Goals: Making the Decade Count’.
- As part of the WSDS 2020, in cooperation with TERI, IWA is organizing thematic track on Achieving SDG 6 Goals: The need for circular economy approaches on 29th January, 2020.
BANKING & FINANCE
No charge on UPI, RuPay transactions If MDR is zero: Banks to NPCI
The Indian Banks’ Association has written to the National Payments Council of India (NPCI), which enables digital payments and settlements in India, to ask for retrospective application of zero merchant discount rate for Rupay card and Unified Payments Interface (UPI) transactions.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FICCI estimates India’s GDP growth at 5 % for FY20; could reach 5.5% in FY21
According to, FICCI’s Economic Outlook Survey puts forth the annual median GDP growth forecast for 2019-20 at 5.0%. While the median growth forecast for agriculture and allied activities has been put at 2.6% for 2019-20.
- The industry and services sector are expected to grow by 3.5% and 7.2% respectively during the current year. Growth is likely to improve to 5% in 2020-21 as per the projections.
Google announces $1-million grant to promote news literacy in India
In an effort to counter fake news and misinformation in India, Google News Initiative (GNI) has announced a $1 million grant for Internews, a news literacy organisation.The funding support is part of Google’s broader, $10-million commitment to media literacy.
- Google’s initiative will focus on delivering news literacy, especially in the non-metro cities.
Esow Alben bags gold at Six Day Berlin cycling tournament
Indian cyclist Esow Alben has bagged a gold in the men’s Keirin individual event of the Six Day Berlin Tournament in Berlin.
- Czech Republic’s Tomas Babek came in second while Maximilian Lev of Germany took home the bronze.
Gita Sabharwal of India appointed UN Resident Coordinator in Thailand
The UN has appointed India’s Gita Sabharwal, who has over two decades of experience in peacebuilding and social policy, as the Resident Coordinator in Thailand.
- She most recently served the UN in Sri Lanka as the Peacebuilding and Development Adviser for nearly seven years.
RBI appoints ED Janak Raj as member of the Monetary Policy Committee
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed its Executive Director Janak Raj as member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), the highest interest rate setting body.
- Raj replaces M D Patra, who was recently elevated as Deputy Governor of the RBI.The decision to appoint Janak Raj was taken at the 581st meeting of the central board .
IITian Arvind Krishna to be new IBM CEO, replacing Ginni Rometty
International Business Machines Corp. named Arvind Krishna as chief executive officer, replacing longtime CEO Virginia Rometty
- Krishna, 57, is currently the head of IBM’s cloud and cognitive software unit
Govt appoints M Ajit Kumar as chairman of CBIC ahead of Budget
The government appointed M Ajit Kumar as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs(CBIC). The appointment comes just two days before the Union Budget presentation. Kumar is presently a member of CBIC.
Dr. Partap chauhan honoured with Ayurveda ratan award 2020 in Brussels, Belgium
Dr Partap Chauhan conferred with Prestigious Ayurveda Ratan Award 2020 in Brussels, Belgium during Ayurveda Day Celebration at the European Parliament.
India hockey captain Rani Rampal named 2019 World Games Athlete of the Year
India womens hockey captain Rani Rampal won the 2019 World Games Athlete of the Year award. The prize, which is voted for by the public, is given for outstanding performance, along with social commitment and fair behaviour.
- She became the first-ever hockey player worldwide to win the prestigious ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’ award.
Padma Shri awardee and Indian Social Worker Tushar Kanjilal passed away
Eminent social worker, environmentalist, educationist and writer Tushar Kanjilal passed away. He was 85.
- Kanjilal is known for his contribution to education in remote Rangabelia in the Sundarbans in the 1970s and his work for the uplift of the people in the area.
- Kanjilal was awarded the Padma Shri in 1996 and received the Jamnalal Bajaj Award in 2008.He wrotes a number of books in Bengali
Former Kerala Minister M. Kamalam passed away at 93
Former Kerala Minister and veteran Congress leader M. Kamalam passed away at Nadakkavu in Kozhikode on Thursday. She was 93.
- Kamalam was active in politics for seven decades. She was Co-operation Minister between 1982-1985 during Chief Minister K Karunakaran’s tenure. She represented Kalpetta Assembly constituency twice – having won in 1980 and in 1982.
Titan pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on death anniversary, launches special edition Khadi watches
On the occasion of Martyrs’ Day, paying tribute on the 72nd death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Union minister Nitin Gadkari launched the limited edition of Khadi wrist watches manufactured as part of a joint initiative by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission and Titan.