Daily Current Affairs 31 July 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Leh, Kargil to be developed as smart cities in the newly-formed union territory of Ladakh
The Centre will develop Leh and Kargil as smart cities in the newly-formed union territory of Ladakh.
- Working on a home ministry proposal to improve infrastructure and generate job opportunities in Ladakh, the housing and urban affairs ministry has formed a five-member team under Smart Cities director Rahul Kapoor to guide the union territory in formulating detailed projects reports for both the cities.
- The move is part of the Centre’s initiative to develop Jammu & Kashmir as well as Ladakh—the two union territories formed after the state was bifurcated in October 2019.
BANKING & FINANCE
Wibmo launches video-based customer identification process for banks
Wibmo Inc., a leading provider of payer authentication services in the world and India’s largest provider of card payment security solutions today announced the launch of Wibmo Video-KYC, its video-based KYC solution to enable banks to digitally onboard their customers.
- Wibmo’s Video-KYC platform has been designed keeping in mind the emerging need of financial service providers and their customers world-wide to establish a trust relationship in a digital world.
- This solution will not only help banks and financial service providers bring on new customers, but also opens up more ways for reaching their customers online.
Banks sanctions about Rs 90,000 crore concessional credit to 1.1 crore KCC holders
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said banks have sanctioned Rs 89,810 crore to about 11 million Kisan Credit Card (KCC) holders to help farmers meet finances for kharif sowing and allied activities.
- As part of the Rs 20.97 trillion stimulus package, the government had announced Rs 2 trillion of concessional credit through KCC to 25 million farmers, including fishermen and those involved in animal husbandry.
- This marks an increase of Rs 26,940 crore over Rs 62,870 crore sanctioned to 70.32 lakh KCC holders as on June 30.
Axis Bank launches AI-powered conversational voice BOT for IVR
Private sector lender Axis Bank unveiled as Automated Voice Assistant ‘AXAA’, which is an artificial intelligence-powered conversational voice BOT.
- AXAA operates like a humanoid and has power to change the paradigm of customer experience from conventional Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system to a new era of call steering and precise response with very high degree of accuracy and consistency.
- It can converse in English, Hindi and Hinglish and is capable of handling one lakh customer queries and requests per day
Sundaram Mutual launches ‘Any Day SIP’ in schemes
Sundaram Mutual has introduced ‘Any Day SIP’ feature in all open-ended schemes of the fund house, except in liquid schemes. This is effective July 29, 2020.
- As the name suggests, the feature allows an investor to schedule their SIPs on any day of the month.
- The Any Day SIP facility is available for transactions made through the Sundaram Mutual website. Investors can also choose to modify their existing SIP date in their mutual funds on the same platform.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Microsoft India most attractive employer brand: Survey
According to Randstad Employer Brand Research (REBR) 2020,Technology giant Microsoft India has emerged as the country’s most attractive employer brand, followed by Samsung India and Amazon India in the second and third place, respectively, says a survey.
- Microsoft India scored high on financial health, strong reputation and utilisation of the latest technologies.
- The REBR revealed that in 2020, work-life balance emerged as the top Employee Value Proposition (EVP) driver for the Indian workforce while choosing an employer as it was cited by 43% respondents, followed by attractive salary and employee benefits (41%) and job security (40%).
Flipkart launches hyperlocal delivery service in Bengaluru
Walmart Inc.-owned Flipkart launched a 90-minute hyperlocal delivery service for groceries and electronic products, among other items, in a challenge to Amazon Fresh, which offers two-hour delivery of groceries.
- The Flipkart Quick service has started in parts of Bengaluru, and will be expanded to 4-5 major cities in the coming months.
- For a minimum delivery fee of ₹29, consumers can get deliveries in 90 minutes, or book a two-hour slot for deliveries later.
Deadline for mandatory hallmarking of Gold Jewellery extended
In view of the coronavirus pandemic, the government announced the extension of a deadline for mandatory hallmarking of gold jewellery and artefacts by over four months till June 1, 2021.
- Accordingly, from June 1 next year, jewellers will be allowed to sell only 14, 18 and 22 carats of gold jewellery.
Govt notifies changes in FDI norms allowing NRIs to acquire up to 100% in Air India
The finance ministry has notified changes in foreign direct investment (FDI) rules which permit non-resident Indians (NRIs) to acquire upto 100% in Air India.
- The amendment in FDI policy will permit foreign investment in Air India Ltd at par with other Scheduled Airline Operators.
- Foreign investments in m/s Air India Limited, including that of foreign airlines shall not exceed 49% either directly or indirectly except in case of those NRIs, who are Indian nationals, where foreign investments is permitted up to 100% under automatic route, according to the notification on the third amendment to FEMA (non-debt instruments) Rules, 2020.
Divij Sharan-Vijay Sundar Prashanth win doubles title in Surrey
Post the COVID-19 break, Divij Sharan and Vijay Sundar Prashanth won their first doubles title of the season at the Lawn Tennis Association’s British Tour in Surrey.
- Vijay Sundar Prashanth & Divij Sharan defeated Ryan Peniston & David Stevenson in the final, the top-seeded Indian duo won 4-2, 4-1 at the National Tennis Centre.
India’s domestic cricket star Rajat Bhatia announces retirement
Veteran domestic all-rounder and former Kolkata Knight Riders star Rajat Bhatia has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket, bringing an end to a 20-year long career.
- The 40-year-old Bhatia, who started his First Class career with Tamil Nadu 21 seasons ago, turned out for Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand in domestic cricket. In the Indian Premier League, he was part of the title-winning Kolkata Knight Riders in 2012, besides playing for Rajasthan Royals and Rising Pune Supergiants.
- The medium-fast bowler scalped 137 wickets and amassed 6482 runs in his first-class career. He played 112 first-class games and smashed 17 centuries and 50 half-centuries.
Paytm Money appoints Varun Sridhar as new CEO
Paytm Money, the subsidiary of One97 Communications Ltd which operates Paytm, has appointed Varun Sridhar as its new CEO.
- Sridhar’s appointment comes just months after its former MD and CEO Pravin Jadhav resigned from the startup due to differences with the management of Paytm.
SS Motivation Founder & CEO Sunil ydv SS Honored with Karamveer Chakra Award of United Nations and ICONGO
Founder of SS Motivation, World record holder Sunil ydv SS was honoured with “Karamveer Chakra Award” by Global Fellowship Award instituted by United Nations and International Confederation of NGO (iCONGO) at the ReX ConcLIVE hosted in IIT Delhi.
- He received the award for his relentless contribution to society through his Telegram channel “SS Motivation.”
- The Karamveer Chakra Award is a sign of respect for its ambassador Dr A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, a former President of India and recognizes noble laureates.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Microsoft launches new Family Safety app for iOS and Android
Microsoft has rolled out its new Family Safety app for iOS and Android users. Now parents will be able to monitor the time spent by the kids on devices and limit hours of play.
- Microsoft Family Safety app prevents kids from swapping devices to get some extra hours to play Minecraft or Fortnite. Specific apps can also be fully blocked.
- Family Safety can also be used for location sharing between family members. Microsoft has added a new location-clustering feature during the beta phase, which lets people see when multiple family members are at the same location.
Veteran Telugu Actor Raavi Kondal Rao Passes Away
Veteran actor, writer, director and producer Raavi Kondal Rao died due to cardiac arrest at a private hospital. He was 88.
- Rao had acted and associated with over 600 south Indian movies mainly in Telugu. He made his debut with Telugu movie Sobha in 1958 as an actor.
- Before venturing into movies, he worked as an editor, writer and columnist for English and Telugu dailies and weeklies.
Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto passes away
Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto, known for styling musician David Bowie, has died at the age of 76.
- Yamamoto was known for creating bold avant-garde pieces that defied gender norms and featured brilliant colours and patterns.
- His so-called super-shows were staged around the world, with the 1993 “Hello!! Russia” edition, held in Moscow’s Red Square, drawing 120,000 spectators.
Senco Gold CMD Shaankar Sen passes away
Shaankar Sen, chairman and managing director of Senco Gold Ltd., which runs the chain of Senco Gold and diamond jewellery stores, passed away in Kolkata. He was 60.
- He was also the vice chairman of All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council, the domestic body responsible for the welfare of the jewellery sector and all stakeholders.
Folk musician Sonam Tshering Lepcha passes away
Folk musician and Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha passed away at Kalimpong due to old age ailments. He was 92.
- He travelled to various parts of Sikkim and complied a wide range of Indian folk and traditional Lepcha songs and played folk music on All India Radio in 1960.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri for his contribution in the field of folk music.
J-K High Court judge Sanjay Gupta passes away
Justice Sanjay Gupta, a sitting judge of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, died due to illness. He was 59 .
- In 2004, Justice Gupta was selected as a direct recruit in the higher judicial service and posted as Additional District and Sessions Judge Doda.
- Lastly when was posted as Principal District and Sessions Judge, Jammu, he was elevated as permanent judge of High Court of Jammu and Kashmir.
World Day Against Trafficking in Persons
The world day against trafficking in persons is observed on July 30 every year in order to raise awareness about the condition of victims of human trafficking and to promote and protect their rights.
- World Day Against Trafficking 2020 theme is ‘Committed to the Cause – Working on the Frontline to End Human Trafficking’. The 2020 theme will focus on the people who play the role of the first responders to human trafficking.