Daily Current Affairs 31 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet clears pension scheme for small farmers, traders
In its first meeting, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi decided to give monthly pension of Rs 3,000 to all small and marginal farmers across the country, small traders, businessmen, and shopkeepers after they attain the age of 60 years.
- All small shopkeepers and self-employed persons as well as the retail traders with Goods and Services Tax (GST) turnover below Rs 1.5 crore and aged between 18 and 40 years can enroll themselves for the scheme.
- The Central government shall also contribute to the pension fund an equal amount matching the farmer’s contribution.
- The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) launched by Modi in February provides income support to small and marginal farmer families with cultivable land holding up to two hectares across the country by way of payment of Rs 6,000 per year.
Centre launches song ‘Hawa Aane De’ on air pollution
As the World Environment Day is approaching, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched a theme song ‘Hawa Aane De’ on air pollution. The song was launched in the national capital. The aim is to spread awareness regarding protecting the environment. Secretary of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the song in the presence of actor Shekhar Suman and singer Shaan. World Environment Day is celebrated on June 05.
IIT Guwahati signs MoU with ISRO to set up space technology
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati has signed an MoU with The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to set up an IITG-ISRO Space Technology Cell (STC) at the institute where Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi inaugurated a new academic complex and research and development building.
SWIFT India and South Asia Conference held in Mumbai
The SWIFT India and South Asia Conference held at the St Regis Mumbai saw the participation of 500 delegates representing financial institutions, regulators, market infrastructure experts, multinational corporations, and other industry professionals, to discuss the most pertinent issues concerning the nation’s financial market.
- The theme of the conference was “Digitisation in transition: The future of innovation and cyber security.
- It was organized and hosted by SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication).
The objective of the conference was to discuss these key issues with a specific focus on innovation and our preparedness to face challenges around cybersecurity.
National Science Film Festival to be held in Agartala in 2020
In an effort to raise awareness about science and environment through films, the 10th National Science Film Festival of India (NSFFI) will be organised in Tripura on January and February 2020.
- The film festival would include films produced by UNICEF, UNESCO and filmmakers from different countries. It will also include entries from Tripura and other states.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FICCI survey forecasts India’s GDP growth at 7.1% for FY20
The country’s median GDP is forecast at 7.10 percent for Financial Year 2020 and 7.20 percent for Financial Year 2021. The industry body FICCI’s economic outlook survey stated that the minimum and maximum growth estimate stood at 6.80 per 0cent and 7.3 percent for 2019-20.
India’s 2018-19 fiscal deficit at 3.39% of GDP, lower than target
As per the data released by Controller General of Accounts (CGA), India met its fiscal deficit target for 2018-19, which came in at 3.39 per cent of GDP, slightly lower than 3.4 per cent estimated in the revised estimates of the Budget, on the back of an increase in non-tax revenue and lower expenditure.
GDP growth dips to five-year low of 6.8 pc in FY19
As per the data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), the economic growth rate for the financial year 2018-19 stood at a five-year low of 6.8 per cent.
Jaishankar becomes first Foreign Secretary to be Foreign Minister
Former IFS officer S. Jaishankar created history as he became the first former Foreign Secretary to become External Affairs Minister.
Mohana Singh becomes first IAF woman pilot to be operational by day on Hawk jets
Flight Lieutenant Mohana Singh, one of India’s first female fighter pilots, scripted history as the first ever woman pilot to become operational on Hawk advanced jet aircraft.
- The female fighter pilot achieved the feat after rigorous training involving both Air to Air combat and Air to Ground missions.
World No-Tobacco Day
Every year, on 31st May, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD). The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke exposure, and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
- The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on “tobacco and lung health.”