BP Kanungo takes over as RBI Deputy Governor
B.P. Kanungo took over as the Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a period of three years, following the retirement of R. Gandhi.
- Kanungo was Executive Director of the Reserve Bank before being elevated to the post of Deputy Governor. His appointment was announced on March 11.
- RBI’s other deputy governors are Viral Acharya, S.S. Mundra and N.S. Vishwanathan.
Under GST, tax evasion over Rs 5 crore a non-bailable offence
Doubling the threshold for cognizable offences, the government has decided to make tax evasion of over Rs 5 crore under the proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime as a non-bailable offence, with the police having authority to make an arrest without a warrant.
- The earlier threshold for treating tax evasion as a cognizable and non-bailable offence was proposed to be at Rs 2.5 crore.
Union Textiles Minister launches PowerTex India
The Government has launched PowerTex India, a comprehensive scheme for powerloom sector development, simultaneously at over 45 locations in the country.
19th commonwealth forestry conference began in Dehradun, Uttarakhand
Scientists and experts from 49 member countries of the Commonwealth gathered to participate in a five-day forestry conference. It is for the second time India is hosting the conference. In 1968, Delhi hosted the event.
Indo-Bangla army joint cycling expedition flagged in Kolkata
A joint cycling expedition by 30 personnel of Indian and Bangladesh armies to commemorate the 47th Independence Day of Bangladesh was flagged in by Lieutenant General Praveen Bakshi, General Officer Commanding in Chief, Eastern Command at Fort William, Kolkata.
India to help Afghanistan build WTO research centre
India has promised to provide technical assistance to Afghanistan to build a research and training centre for the World Trade Organisation (WTO)
- The centre in Kabul will also help train people on the rules and regulations of the WTO.
Centre sanctions Rs 98.35 crores for a Heritage Circuit in Assam
Union Ministry of Tourism has sanctioned Rs 98.35 crores for a Heritage Circuit in Assam.
- This amount is sanctioned for development of the Tezpur, Majuli and Sivasagar circuit under the scheme of Swadesh Darshan.
- This includes development of a composite tourist infrastructure in Majuli, comprising of an interpretation centre near Kamalabari ghat, log huts, watch towers, cafeteria, elevated walkway, solar illumination, landscaping etc. worth Rs. 61.26 crores.
Madhya Pradesh government launches app to provide municipal services online
The Madhya Pradesh government has launched a mobile app ‘MP e-nagarpalika’ to provide various municipal services online.
- This app would offer 378 services like online payment of property tax, seeking building permission, birth/ marriage/death certificates etc. It will also register complaints related to garbage, water, streetlights etc. Online payment gateway would be available on this app
Government of Odisha, University of Chicago partner for research and pilot project implementations
The Government of Odisha collaborated with the University of Chicago and the University of Chicago Trust in India to sign a statement of intention April 3, 2017to advance its commitments for new research, knowledge, and capacity-building partnerships.
- This partnership will enable the University of Chicago’s Center in Delhi to work closely with the Government of Odisha in carrying out research, impact evaluations, and pilot project implementation in the sectors of energy and environment, health, and water and sanitation.
Indian Navy team heading to climb Mt. Everest again
A team from Indian Navy is all set for an expedition to the Mt. Everest, the world’s tallest mountain peak once again.
- The mission is named “Sagartal se Sagarmatha“, and involves 24 avid climbers from the Indian Navy. They will scale the Everest. The flag-off was conducted 50 metres below the sea surface in Submarine Sindhuraj.
- Sagarmatha is the Nepali name for Mt. Everest.
IISc Bangalore best university, Miranda House top college: HRD ministry rankings
Delhi’s Miranda House and Bengaluru’s Indian Institute of Science are India’s best college and university respectively, according to a countrywide government ranking of educational institutions.
- Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University – which was at the centre of a storm on nationalism last year – was ranked second among universities while Banaras Hindu University secured third position.
- Loyola College in Chennai and Shri Ram College were the second and third-best colleges in India. This is the first time colleges have been ranked.
Arko becomes first Indian to enter in Billboard charts
Singer Arko Pravo Mukherjee is now taking the world by storm with his latest single ‘Reeva’ entering the Billboard Dance Club 50 Charts.
- Since the start of his career, Arko’s ultimate dream was to release an English album, as English is his first language.
Federer wins Miami Open, beats Nadal in straight sets
Roger Federer continued his recent mastery of Rafa Nadal when he beat his great rival 6-3 6-4 in the final of the Miami Open.
Myanmar becomes SASEC’s newest member
Myanmar has become the 7th member of the South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) partnership, opening up new markets and supply chain links for trade and business between South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- SASEC countries – Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, and Sri Lanka – coordinate the planning of projects and activities to increase economic growth by building transport connectivity, facilitating faster and more efficient trade, and promoting cross-border power trade.
- Myanmar’s membership comes in advance of the first SASEC meeting of Finance Ministers that held in New Delhi on April 3.
Mega-conference of world parliamentarians held in Dhaka, Bangladesh
A mega conference of world parliamentarians has started in Dhaka promising to focus on ways and means to end political and economic inequality and uphold democracy and human rights.
Lenin Moreno to be new president of Ecuador
Noted scriptwriter Ajey Jhankar passed away
He is writer of well-known Marathi novel “Sarkarnama”, Jhankar later produced the Marathi movie with the same name in 1998, which had won many awards.