Daily Current Affairs 4 & 5 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi inaugurates artificial intelligence ‘RAISE 2020’ Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a five-day global virtual summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI). The Responsible AI for Social Empowerment (RAISE 2020) summit organized by the Government of India in partnership with Industry and Academia.
- The RAISE 2020 summit aims to highlight India’s vision and the potential roadmap of using AI.
- The summit will discuss cross-sector subjects like ‘Leveraging AI for Pandemic Preparedness’, the Impetus that Innovation Places on Digitisation’, Inclusive AI and Partnerships for Successful Innovation.
PM Modi inaugurates Vaibhav Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Vaishvik Bhartiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV )Summit, organised for the overseas and resident Indian Researchers and Academicians.
- The objective of the summit is to bring Indian-origin luminaries in academic institutes and research organisations across the world and resident counterparts on a single platform to debate upon collaboration mechanisms to strengthen academic and science and technology (S&T) base in India for global development.
- The summit is organised by around 200 academic institutes and S&T departments, led by the Principal scientific advisor, Government of India.
‘Sunidhi’ project launched to digitise Coal Mines Provident Fund Organisation services
The government announced the launch of an ambitious information technology project ‘Sunidhi’ to digitise all provident fund and pension related activities of the Coal Mines Provident Fund Organisation (CMPFO).
- The Sunidhi module was inaugurated by settling the provident fund and pension dues of three retired employees of Bharat Coking Coal Ltd (BCCL).
- This software application is running from its data centre at Hyderabad in sync with the Disaster Recovery Centre at Bhubaneshwar.
- CMPFO, a statutory body under the coal ministry, administers different schemes of provident fund, pension and deposit linked insurance for coal mine workers.
Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar launches Gram Darshan
Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar digitally launched ‘Gram Darshan’, which will allow accessibility to data of development projects of 6,197 gram panchayats of the state.
- With the launch of Gram Darshan, the details of the completed, ongoing and required development projects of every village in Haryana will be digitally available.
BANKING & FINANCE
BOB Financial, Mastercard join hands to launch 4 new variants of BOB Credit Card
BOB Financial Solutions, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda, and Mastercard have launched 4 new credit cards catering to its customers across segments, including affluent as well as the first-time credit card owners.
- Two of these cards were in association with eminent professional institutions of the country. The new card variants are Eterna, which will cater to the distinctive needs of the NBFC’s affluent customers and will be offered to customers as part of the Radiance program of Bank of Baroda. Swavlamban, a ‘by Invitation only’ card, targets the low-income employees of select corporates and SMEs which have a banking relationship with Bank of Barod.
- 2 co-branded cards in partnership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and the Institute of Cost Accountants of India (ICMAI), which will be offered exclusively to chartered accountants and cost and management accountants respectively.
PNB launches financial inclusion, literacy initiative Gram Sampark Abhiyan
State-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) launched a financial inclusion and literacy initiative ‘Gram Sampark Abhiyan’ to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.The nationwide campaign was launched by Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar.
- The campaign is centred on four key themes -digital, credit, social security and financial literacy that will encapsulate various activities and prescribes the cherished theme of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- This campaign will culminate on December 31, 2020 covering 526 districts in 24 states, including Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Odisha, Manipur, Tripura and Telangana.
India’s Visnu Wins Gold In 10m Air Rifle Event In 5th International Online Shooting Championship
India’s Visnu Shivaraj Pandian won the 10m air rifle event at the fifth edition of the International Online Shooting Championship.
- The second place was won by world no. 27 Etienne Germond of France while Olympic quota winner Martin Strempfl of Austria, who had shot the best qualification score of 631.4, took the third place.
- The only other Indian in the finals Pratyush Aman Barik finished seventh.
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 announced
The 2020 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice “for the discovery of Hepatitis C virus,” the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet announced in Stockholm, Sweden.
- The trio’s work helped explain a major source of blood-borne hepatitis that couldn’t be explained by the hepatitis A and B viruses.
HDFC Bank’s Ravi Santhanam in Forbes list of World’s Most Influential CMOs
Ravi Santhanam, Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), HDFC Bank has been recognised in the Forbes list of ’The World’s Most Influential CMOs’.
- Ranked at Number 39, he is the only CMO of an Indian company to be featured in the illustrious list which includes marketing heads of Apple, BMW, Lego, Adobe, Microsoft, P&G among others.
- This is the 8th edition of this annual list released by Forbes with research partners Sprinklr and LinkedIn. This year, 427 global CMOs were eligible for consideration. It is generated using data from news reports, websites and social networks to measure influence.
Belarus, Iran, US, Nicaragua Activists Win ‘alternate’ Nobel Prize Of 2020
A Belarusian pro-democracy campaigner, an imprisoned Iranian human rights lawyer, a US civil rights attorney, and a Nicaraguan activist won a top Swedish honour sometimes called “the alternative Nobel Prize.
- Ales Bialiatski of Belarus and his NGO Viasna, Nasrin Sotoudeh of Iran, Bryan Stevenson of the United States and indigenous rights and environmental activist Lottie Cunningham Wren of Nicaragua share the Right Livelihood Award.
- Although the Right Livelihood Award is promoted as an “Alternative Nobel Prize”, it is not a Nobel prize.The top Swedish award has been honouring courageous changemakers since 1980, aimed at boosting urgent and long-term social change.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India Successfully Test Fires Nuclear-capable Shaurya Missile
India successfully test fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable hypersonic missile ‘Shaurya’ with a strike range of around 1,000 km from a test range in Odisha.
- The surface-to-surface tactical missile, which is the land variant of India’s K-15 missile, has a strike range of 700 km to 1000 km and is capable of carrying payloads of 200 kg tO 1000 kg.
- It is 10 metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes. Its two stages use solid propellants.
Odisha MLA Pradeep Maharathy passes away
Former Odisha Minister and veteran Biju Janata Dal MLA Pradeep Maharathy passed away, weeks after he tested positive for COVID-19. He was 66.
- He was elected to the Assembly from the Pipili constituency consecutively seven times from 1985 till last Assembly elections in 2019.
- Before joining the ruling Biju Janata Dal in 2000, he was in Janata Dal and a staunch follower of former Chief Minister Biju Patnaik.
- He was Agriculture Minister from 2011-2012 and was made Minister again between 2014 and 2017. He returned to hold portfolios such as Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment, Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water and Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from 2017 to 2019.
World Space Week
World Space Week is celebrated on October 4-10, to commemorate the launch of earth’s first human-made satellite, Sputnik I, on October 4, 1957, and the signing of the Outer Space Treaty on October 10, 1967.
- 2020 World Space Week is dedicated to satellites and their broad benefits under the theme “Satellites improve life.”
World Teachers Day
World Teachers’ Day, also known as International Teachers Day, is an international day held annually on October 5 every year to celebrate the works of teachers, researchers and professors across the world.
- The theme for World Teachers’ Day 2020 is “Teachers: Leading in Crisis, Reimagining the Future”.