Daily Current Affairs 4 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Uttar Pradesh CM launches ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ with an aim to ensure 100 per cent enrolment in primary and upper primary schools across the state.
- The campaign is being launched after two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.The ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ is being started from Shravasti district which has the lowest literacy rate in the state followed by Bahraich, Balrampur, Badaun and Rampur.
- The chief minister has instructed officials that districts with low literacy rate should be prioritised and primary schools in the state should be equipped with better facilities.
Fourth edition of India Boat and Marine Show held in Kochi
The fourth edition of India Boat and Marine Show (IBMS) will be held as a physical expo at Bolgatty Palace from March 25 to 27.
- The event, which has emerged as the country’s premier boat and marine industry-related expo, will include a full range of stakeholders from the recreational and leisure boating market, Cruz Expos.
- Nearly 45 exhibitors will display their products and services at the expo, including speed boats, engines, navigational and other systems and equipment, other supply and service providers, the organisers said.
India and Australia sign Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement to double bilateral trade in 5 years
The India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement was signed. The agreement was signed by Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal and Trade, Tourism and Investment Minister of Australia Dan Tehan in a virtual ceremony in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison.
- The agreement encompassing trade in goods and services is a balanced and equitable trade agreement, which will further strengthen the strategic relations between the two countries.
Mumbai International Cruise Terminal to be commissioned by July 2024
The Mumbai International Cruise Terminal, the iconic sea cruise terminal under construction at BPX-Indira Dock, will be commissioned by July 2024.
- The terminal will have a capacity of handling 200 ships and one million passengers per annum. Out of the total project cost of Rs 495 crore, Rs 303 crores will be incurred by Mumbai Port Authority and the remaining by private operators.
- The first-of-its-kind iconic sea cruise terminal in India, with a total construction area of 4.15 lakh square feet, will have 22 elevators, ten escalators and multi-storied car parking for 300 cars. Two cruise ships will be able to berth at a time on the dock.
India to provide USD 1 million to BIMSTEC to increase its operational budget
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India will provide USD 1 million to the ‘Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) secretariat to increase its operational budget. It was announced at the fifth BIMSTEC Summit
- He made the announcement in the backdrop of making early progress on the proposal of the BIMSTEC free trade agreement (FTA) to enhance mutual business.
- He also announced adopting the BIMSTEC charter to develop institution architecture for the group.
India, Turkmenistan Sign 4 MoUs for Cooperation, Agree to Expand Bilateral Trade
India and Turkmenistan signed four agreements, including in financial intelligence and disaster management, as President Ram Nath Kovind met his Turkmen counterpart Serdar Berdimuhamedov and agreed to expand bilateral trade and energy cooperation to further strengthen the multifaceted partnership.
- During his meeting with the President of Turkmenistan Berdimuhamedov, President Kovind held a detailed discussion on the state and prospects of bilateral relations and also exchanged views on various regional and international issues of importance.
- The two leaders highlighted the significance of the International North South Transport Corridor (INSTC) and the Ashgabat Agreement on International Transport and Transit Corridor.
BANKING & FINANCE
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bangladesh signs deal with Adani group for Indian Economic Zone
The Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA) signed an agreement with the Indian company Adani Ports and SEZ Limited to set up an Indian Economic Zone at the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Shilpa Nagar (BSMSN) in Mirsarai of Chattogram. The Indian Economic Zone will provide facilities for Indian investors in Bangladesh.
- The signing of the non-binding agreement called term-sheet between the two entities in Mumbai indicated that the development of the Indian Economic Zone (IEZ) will start in full swing soon, said the press statement.
- The Indian Economic Zone is being built on 857 acres of land with an estimated cost of Taka 964 crore supported by an Indian Line of Credit worth USD 115 million. The project involves land development, construction of connecting roads, security system, water supply, telecommunication, and water treatment plant facilities for the Indian companies investing in Bangladesh.
Exports cross 418 billion dollar mark in 2021-22
India’s merchandise exports spurt to a record high of USD 418 billion in the 2021-22 fiscal on higher shipments of petroleum products, engineering goods, gems and jewellery and chemicals.
- India’s goods trade (exports and imports) crossed USD 1 trillion during 2021-22 as the country’s imports too have touched an all-time high of USD 610 billion.
- Outbound shipments touched an all-time monthly high of USD 40.38 billion in March 2022, Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal told reporters here. Exports stood at USD 35.26 billion in March 2021.
- Merchandise exports were worth USD 292 billion in 2020-21.
Government extends foreign trade policy till September 30
The government has further extended the existing Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) till September 30 this year, according to a commerce ministry notification. FTP provides guidelines for enhancing exports to push economic growth and create jobs.
- On March 31, 2020, the government had extended the Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20 for one year till March 31, 2021, amid the coronavirus outbreak and the lockdown.
- In the policy, the government announces support measures for both goods and services exporters.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Axis Bank acquires Citi’s India consumer business in a Rs 12,325-cr deal
Axis Bank, the third-largest private sector in India, is all set to consolidate its position by entering into an agreement with Citibank.
- As per the deal, Axis Bank would acquire Citibank’s consumer finance business – which covers loans, credit cards, wealth management, and retail banking operations – in India for Rs 12,325 crore.
- The deal will also include sales of consumer business of Citi’s non-banking finance company, Citicorp Finance (India) Ltd. This will comprise commercial vehicles and construction equipment loans, among others.
ICC Women’s World Cup: Australia lift title for seventh time after beating England by 71 runs
Australia has lifted the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup defeating England in the final by 71 runs at Hagley Oval in Christchurch.
- Chasing the target of 357, England Women were all out for 285 in 43.4 overs. Earlier, Put into bat first by England, Australia posted 356 for 5 in 50 overs. This is the record for the seventh time Australia women have won the world cup.
- Jess Jonassen and Alana King took three wickets each for Australia. Alyssa Healy was declared Player of the Match and also the Player of the tournament.
Sports Authority of India releases Rs 7.22 crore as Out of Pocket Allowance to 2509 Khelo India Athletes
The Sports Authority of India has released a total of 7.22 crore rupees as an Out of Pocket Allowance (OPA) for a total of 2,509 Khelo India Athletes across 21 disciplines, including for the months of January to March 2022.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in a statement said that a financial assistance of 6.28 lakh rupees is allocated for each residential athlete training at the accredited academies as per the annual Khelo India scholarship scheme. That includes an out of pocket allowance of 1.20 lakh rupees.
- The Out of Pocket Allowance is transferred directly to the athlete’s bank account, whereas the rest of the amount is spent on the athlete’s training, fooding, lodging and education at the Khelo India Academy where the athlete are trained.
Iga Swiatek beats Naomi Osaka to win Miami Open, set to be world No. 1
Iga Swiatek’s dream season continued as the incoming world number one scooped her third successive WTA 1000 title to beat Naomi Osaka in the Miami Open final.
- The Polish 20-year-old became only the fourth – and youngest – player to win the ‘Sunshine Double’ of Indian Wells and Miami in the same year following Steffi Graf, Kim Cljisters and Victoria Azarenka with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Osaka.
- Swiatek, who will be formally confirmed as world number one when the new WTA rankings are announced, has now won 17 straight games, a winning streak that includes titles in Doha, Indian Wells and now Miami.
Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports unveils Logo, Mascot Jersey & Anthem of 2021 Khelo India University Games
Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Singh Thakur and Governor of Karnataka, TC Gehlot launched the logo, jersey, mascot and anthem of the Khelo India University Games 2021 (KIUG 2021) on April 01, 2022, at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru.
- The logo of the event features the iconic Vidhana Soudha building — the Legislative House in Bengaluru — with two elephants on either side. The mascot of Khelo India University Games 2021 is also an elephant, named Veera
- Shri Thakur launched the official jersey of the games as well as the anthem, sung by Chandan Shetty and Nikhil Joshi. The KIUG 2021 will be held in Karnataka between April 24 and May 3, 2022.
- This will be the second edition of KIUG. The first edition was hosted by Odisha in 2020. KIUG 2021 was postponed for 2022 due to the Covid crisis. A Khelo India App for live updates on the Games has also been launched by Karnataka. Around 4500 athletes, representing 20 sports from across the country will participate in the KIUG 2021.
Indian officer Aprajita Sharrma appointed vice chairperson of ITU body
India has secured a leadership position in Council Standing Committee on Administration and Management of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) as an Indian official has been appointed as vice chairperson for the same.
- International Telecommunication Union at Council meetings held at Geneva from 21st March till 31st March, 2022, has announced the appointment of Ms Aprajita Sharrma, an IP&TAF Service officer from 1995 batch as the vice-chair of Standing Committee on Administration and Management.
- Ms Aprajita Sharrma will remain as vice chairperson of Council Standing Committee for the years 2023 and 2024 and it’s chairperson for the years 2025 and 2026.
Mahesh Verma appointed NABH chairman
Padma Awardee Dr Mahesh Verma, the present Vice Chancellor of Delhi’s Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, has taken over as the new chairman of the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare providers (NABH).
- NABH is a constituent board of the Quality Council of India (QCI). This is responsible for setting benchmarks for quality and certifying hospitals and other health facilities. NABH is also a member of the board of the Asian Society for Quality in Healthcare (ASQua).
Vikas Kumar appointed new MD of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
Vikas Kumar will take over as the new Managing Director (DM) of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) with effect from April 1, 2022.
- Kumar is taking over the post from Dr. Mangu Singh, who was the DMRC MD since January 1, 2012.
- An officer of the 1988 batch of Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS), Kumar worked with the Indian Railways in various capacities before joining DMRC in September, 2004. Ever since, he has been associated with the DMRC for more than 17 years in key management positions.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches the world’s largest electric cruise ship
The world’s largest electric cruise ship has made its maiden voyage, settling back into port in Yichang in China’s central Hubei province after cruising up and down the Yangtze River.
- Powered by a massive 7,500 kilowatt-hour marine battery from the world’s No. 1 battery manufacturer for electric cars, Contemporary Amperex Technology, the ship will go into commercial operations from next month, being used mainly for sightseeing trips.
- At 100 meters long and around 16 meters wide, the Yangtze River Three Gorges 1 can carry up to 1,300 passengers. It can travel for around 100 kilometers on a single charge, saving around 530 metric tons of fuel.
Maharashtra: Chandrapur records third hottest place in the world, witnesses first forest fire
The first forest fire was recorded in Chandrapur district, the third hottest place in the entire world. The fire was witnessed in the area of Irai dam. The fire was seen at the border of Regional forest area, private farms, and buffer zone of national tiger project.
- As the fire was spreading rapidly, forest guards immediately began to extinguish the fire with the help of Blair machines. The fire was said to be caused by negligence on the part of some unidentified persons.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Crunch Time: Narendra Modi’s National Security Crises” book by Dr Sreeram Chaulia
The book titled “Crunch Time: Narendra Modi’s National Security Crises” written by Dr Sreeram Chaulia has been released recently.
- The book explains the doctrines that mark ‘new India’ under PM Modi and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval- ‘Security First’, ‘Offensive Defence’ and a mobilisation of India’s masses to support the state as it took on China and Pakistan in repeated episodes of confrontation since 2016 to present.