Daily Current Affairs 4 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari launches Khadi’s Gift Box of Silk Mask
Union Minister for MSME Nitin Gadkari launched the Gift Box, developed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC). The gift box consists of four handcrafted silk masks in different colors and prints.
- The masks are packed in a beautifully crafted handmade paper box in black color with golden embossed printing.
Minister Gadkari approves launch of ‘Khadi Agarbatti Aatmanirbhar Mission’
Union Minister for MSME, Nitin Gadkari has approved a unique employment generation program proposed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to make India Aatmanirbhar in Agarbatti production. The program named as Khadi Agarbatti Aatmanirbhar Mission aims at creating employment for unemployed and migrant workers in different parts of the country while increasing domestic Agarbatti production substantially.
- The scheme designed by KVIC on PPP mode is unique in the sense that in a very less investment, it will create sustainable employment and help private Agarbatti manufacturers to scale up Agarbatti production without any capital investment by them.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge over river Ganga in Bihar
Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge over river Ganga in Bihar through video conference. Over 5.5 kilometres long, the four lane bridge lies on NH-19 between Patna and Hajipur. It is being constructed at a cost of one thousand 742 crore rupees.
‘Gramodyog Vikas Yojana’: Govt launches programme for artisans involved in manufacturing of agarbatti
The government has approved a programme for the benefit of artisans involved in manufacturing of agarbatti and to develop village industry under the ‘Gramodyog Vikas Yojana’. Initially four pilot projects will be started as part of the programme, including one in the North East.
- Each targeted cluster of artisans will be supported with about 50 automatic agarbatti making machines and 10 mixing machines. Accordingly, a total of 200 automatic agarbatti making machines and 40 mixing machines will be provided to the artisans.
Housing minister Hardeep Puri launches digital platforms to market residential properties
Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched digital platforms of real estate bodies CREDAI and NAREDCO to market residential properties, besides releasing a guide book for affordable rental housing scheme for migrants.
- The minister launched ‘CREDAI Awaas App’ and NAREDCO’s online portal ‘HousingforAll.com’ through a video conference. Puri released the knowledge pack of the government’s ‘Affordable Rental Housing Complexes’ (ARHCs) programme, which has been recently launched to provide rental accommodations to migrant and urban poor.
Sebi to set up virtual museum of securities market
Regulator Sebi is planning to set up a virtual museum of securities market to highlight achievements and milestones in the Indian capital market.
- The museum is intended to be a visual online organised collection of history of evolution, achievements and milestones in the Indian securities market over the decades in terms of market infrastructure, regulation and enforcement, among others.
BSNL Bharat Air Fibre services launched in Maharashtra
Sanjay Dhotre, Union Minister for Electronics, Communication, and IT, inaugurated ‘Bharat Air Fibre Services’, a radio-based last mile telecom connectivity solution for Akola and Washim districts in Maharashtra.
- The Bharat Air Fibre Services will enable residents of Akola and Washim districts to avail of wireless internet connections on-demand.
- It has been launched by the state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) as part of Digital India initiatives and aims at providing wireless connectivity in the range of 20KMs from BSNL locations, which will benefit citizens residing in remote areas.
Madhya Pradesh to begin ‘Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ public awareness campaign
Following the Prime Minister’s appeal, a public awareness campaign called ‘Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ means one mask-many lives will be conducted from from August 1 till August 15 in many districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- The Mask Bank will also be established under the Ek Mask-Anek Zindgi Campaign. In this mask bank, masks will be collected from donors and distributed free of cost to the poor people.
Andhra Pradesh CM launches ‘E-Raksha Bandhan’, online training on cyber crimes
Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘E-Raksha Bandhan’, aimed at creating awareness among the public on Cybercrimes across the State.
- As many as 1 lakh women, girls and the general public would be trained through ‘E-Raksha Bandhan’ up to August 31. Webinars, workshops, debates, essay writing, quiz and slogan writing competitions will be conducted every day on different topics from 11 a.m. to 12 noon every day.
Hyderabad Airport receives UNICEF-ADB funded ‘Mass Fever Screening System’
To enhance the efficacy of the screening process of coronavirus, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, in coordination with Asian Development Bank, has provided Hyderabad International Airport with a state-of-the-art Thermal Scanner, a mass fever screening system funded by United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The new thermal scanner will be used by the airport health officials of the Ministry.
- This system is capable of scanning, detecting and tracking febrile persons with elevated skin temperature. The system automatically adjusts and adapts to the surrounding ambient temperature without any human intervention.
IFSCA sets up panel to suggest ways for development of international retail business
International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) announced setting up an expert committee to suggest ways for the development of international retail business.
- The committee will be headed by Pradip Shah (Chairman, Indasia Fund Advisors Pvt Ltd.).
- IFSCA has been mandated to develop and regulate the financial services market in the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) in India.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Baroda Credit Card offers EMIs on PoS Terminals in partnership with Innoviti
BOB Financial Solutions Limited has tied up with Innoviti Payment Solutions to offer convenient and affordable EMI options.
- During today’s times of COVID crisis, consumers are cautious about their spending and yet would need affordable options in essential categories such as healthcare, education, IT (computers and laptops), and furniture & kitchen appliances. This new partnership will help Bank of Baroda credit card holders’ access to EMIs that can be repaid conveniently through their credit cards.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Rs 700 crore ADB-funded project approved by government to help farmers in Maharashtra
Mahrashtra has approved an ADB-funded Rs 1,000 crore project for boosting fruit and vegetable production in the state. The Maharashtra Agribusiness Network (MagNet) project, which has been approved, aims to help farmers across all districts in the state for the next six years.
- The project is worth $142.9 million, or about Rs 1,000 crore, of which 70% would be lent by Asian Development Bank and the balance will come from state government.
World Cup winner Benedikt Höwedes retires from soccer at 32
Benedikt Howedes, a defender who helped Germany win the World Cup title in 2014, retired from soccer citing family reasons.
- The 32-year-old Höwedes left Lokomotiv Moscow by mutual consent last month while the Russian league was suspended amid the coronavirus pandemic.
CM Nitish releases book by Speaker Vijay Kumar Choudhary
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar released a book titled “Siyasat Mein Sadasyata” – a compilation of articles, views and life journey – of Bihar Assembly Speaker Vijay Kumar Choudhary.
- The book published by Bihar Assembly Secretariat is a compilation of Choudhary”s views, three dozen articles on different important issues and his life journey and book also reflects the different aspects of Choudhary”s personality.
Biography of India’s youngest Basketball captain ‘Vishesh Bhriguvanshi’ to hit stands on 29 August
The inspirational story on the life of Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, India’s youngest basketball team captain, is set to be released on August 29, the National Sports Day. The book, titled “Vishesh: Code To Win”, has been written by sportswoman-turned-author Nirupama Yadav and published by the publishing house Bluerose.
- The book narrates the mindset of a basketball player in a cricket-dominated nation and brings to light the strenuous journey of the 29 year-old Bhriguvanshi, for becoming the captain against all odds.
- Bhriguvanshi hails from Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh’s and has been playing for India since 2007. He was first time became the captain of the Indian team in 2010.
Tamil writer ‘Chayavanam’ Kandasamy passes away
Tamil writer, critic and documentary filmmaker Sa. Kandasamy, who won the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel Visaranai Commission — the death of an innocent bus conductor in police custody, has passed away. He was 81.
- His documentary film on terracotta art — Kaaval Theivangal — won the first prize at the Angino Film Festival, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Theatre maestro Ebrahim Alkazi passes away
Theatre doyen and legendary teacher Ebrahim Alkazi passed away. He was the longest serving director of the National School of Drama. He also mentored generations of actors like Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Rohini Hattangadi, Surekha Sikri and Pankaj Kapoor. He also won the BBC Broadcasting Award in 1950.
Muslim women’s rights day
Recently, 1st August has been recorded as “Muslim Women Rights Day” in the country’s history to mark first anniversary of the passage of Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019. The law made triple talaq a criminal offence.
World Sanskrit Day 2020
Considered to be one of the oldest languages in the world, Sanskrit has a day dedicated to its celebration. Every year, Sanskrit Diwas, also known as ‘Vishvasamskritadinam’ is celebrated on the poornima (full moon) of the ‘Shravana‘ month. The day promotes the revival of this ancient Indian language. This year, it was being celebrated on August 3.