Daily Current Affairs 4 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Manipur: Gaan Ngai festival of Zeliangrong community celebrated
In Manipur, the Gaan Ngai festival of the Zeliangrong community celebrated on 4th January,2023. The Gaan Ngai festival is one of the major festivals of Manipur which is celebrated every year after harvesting.
- The festival also marks the end of the year when the farmers have stored their foodgrain in their ganeries.
- During the festival, the Zeliarong community shows their gratitude by offering to the almighty a good harvest and praying for a better and prosperous life in the coming year.
Second Phase of Sari Festival “VIRAASAT”- Celebrating 75 handwoven Saris of India begins
The second phase of the Sari Festival “VIRAASAT”- Celebrating 75 handwoven Saris of India begun from 3rd to 17th January 2023 at Handloom Haat, Janpath, New Delhi.
- The second phase, having 90 participants from different parts of the country, brings enhanced attraction by participation of famous Handcrafted varieties of Saris like Tie and Dye, Chikan embroidered Saris, Hand Block Saris, Kalamkari printed Saris, Ajrakh, Kantha and Phulkari. These will be in addition to the exclusive handloom Saris of Jamdani, Ikat, Pochampally, Banaras Brocade, Tussar Silk (Champa), Baluchari, Bhagalpuri Sik, Tangail, Chanderi, Lalitpuri, Patola, Paithani etc. Also available will be Handloom Saris like Tanchoi, Jangla, Kota Doria, Cutwork, Maheshwari, Bhujodi, Santipuri, Bomkai and several other varieties like Garad Korial, Khandua and Arni Silk Saris.
Himachal Pradesh Government launches CM’s Sukhashray Sahayata Kosh
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu launched CM’s Sukhashray Sahayata Kosh with an outlay of Rs 101 crore.
- All the Ministers and Congress MLA will contribute their first salary to the fund. The Congress party has 40 MLA in the 68 member Himachal Legislative Assembly.
- The scheme will aim to provide the facility of higher education to needy children and destitute women.There will be no requirement for any income certificate for availing these facilities.
Uttarakhand Govt abolishes system of revenue police
The government of Uttarakhand has announced plans to eliminate the revenue policing system and integrate revenue villages into regular police jurisdiction. All the revenue villages will now be under the regular policing system.
- According to the Chief Minister’s Office the law and order in 1,800 revenue villages of Uttarakhand will now be handled by the state police.
- It was introduced by the British in the hilly state 150 years back. Under the system the civil officials/patwari of the Revenue department had the power to investigate and arrest the offenders just like police.
Madhya Pradesh government launch Chief Minister’s Residential Land Rights Scheme at Bagaj Mata temple complex in Tikamgarh district
In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched the Chief Minister’s Residential Land Rights scheme (Mukhyamantri Awasiya Bhu Adhikar Yojana) in a programme organised at the Bagaj Mata temple complex in Tikamgarh district. Chief Minister also gave land rights letters to the eligible beneficiaries of this scheme.
- Under the scheme, plots worth about 129 crore rupees were distributed to 10 thousand 918 families of Tikamgarh district. The objective of this scheme is to provide free plots to the poor living in rural areas for building their houses.
- The land will be given completely free of cost and along with the plot, the benefits of all other schemes will also be provided.
China becomes only 2nd nation to run Hydrogen Trains
China became the first country in Asia and second in the world to launch Hydrogen powered urban trains. Germany was the first country to introduce hydrogen powered trains in September 2022.
- Chinese company CRRC Corporations ltd built a train that has a top speed of 160 KM per hour and can run without refuelling for 600 Km . The German Coradia iLint serial train developed by French company Alstom has set a record 1175 Km range without refuelling.
- According to the Chinese officials, the operation of the train will reduce CO2 emissions compared to diesel traction by 10 tons per year.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank collaborates with Microsoft for digital transformation
HDFC Bank said it is partnering with Microsoft in the next phase of its digital transformation.
- HDFC Bank will leverage Microsoft’s Azure platform to consolidate and modernize its enterprise data landscape through a Federated Data Lake to scale its information management capabilities across enterprise reporting, and advanced analytics using artificial intelligence.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ONGC, Indian Oil emerge as top profit-making Public Sector Firms in 2021-22
The net profit of operating public sector enterprises jumped 50.87 per cent to Rs 2.49 lakh crore during 2021-22, with ONGC, Indian Oil Corp, Power Grid, NTPC and SAIL emerging as the top five performers, according to a government survey.
- The net profit of operating central public sector enterprises (CPSEs) stood at Rs 1.65 lakh crore in the previous fiscal.
- The Public Enterprises Survey 2021-22 also revealed that the net loss of loss-making CPSEs narrowed to Rs 0.15 lakh crore in FY 2021-22 from Rs 0.23 lakh crore in FY 2020-21, showing a decrease of 37.82 per cent.
NTPC starts India’s first green hydrogen blending operation in PNG network
NTPC Ltd commissions India’s first green hydrogen blending project. The green hydrogen blending has been started in the piped natural gas (PNG) network of NTPC Kawas township, Surat. The project is a joint effort of NTPC and Gujarat Gas Limited (GGL).
- The first molecule of green hydrogen from the project was set in motion by Shri P Ram Prasad, head of project, Kawas in presence of other senior executives of NTPC Kawas and GGL.
- After the start of blending operation, NTPC Kawas held awareness workshops for township residents with help of GGL officials
Assam Government decides to confer State’s highest civilian award, ‘Assam Baibhav,’ to Dr. Tapan Saikia
The Assam government has decided to confer the State’s highest civilian award, ‘Assam Baibhav,’ on Dr. Tapan Saikia, an internationally acclaimed doctor for his contributions to the field of cancer care in the State.
- Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced that five people will receive the ‘Assam Saurav’ the second highest civilian award and they are a renowned producer of Abahan theatre, Krishna Roy; footballer Gilbertson Sangma, lawn baller, Nayanmoni Saikia; scientist at NEIST Jorhat, Dr. Binoi Kumar Saikia and Dr. Shashidhar Phukan, Jt. Director of Health and Family Welfare, Jorhat district.
- The Chief Minister also announced 15 names for the ‘Asom Gaurav’ the third highest civilian award for their exceptional contribution to society, noted among them are Dhritimala Deka for social service; Debajit Barman, entrepreneur; Rustom Basumotary, tourism; Kalyani Rajbanshi, SHG member; Shila Gowalla, ASHA worker; Manthang Hmar, agriculture and Dr. Sayed Iftikar Ahmed for his contribution in the field of AIDS research and treatment.