Daily Current Affairs 4 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Vice President releases a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan
The Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu released a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan in New Delhi. He said that our text books must throw light on the lives of great saints and spiritual icons such as Sri Vedanta Desikan so that our children internalize and practice the lofty ideals of humanism, peace and compassion propagated by them.
- Sri Vedanta Desikan is one of the most prominent preceptors in the Sri vaishnava tradition and one of the most effulgent luminaries to have graced this land. The Vice President also stressed that massive public awareness and education campaigns must be undertaken to bring to the fore luminaries such as Sri Vedant Desikan who have shaped our Bharat into a “Jnana Bhoomi”.
14th edition of Sino-Indian border trade opens at Nathu La
The 14th edition of the annual Sino-Indian border trade opened at Nathu La in Sikkim. A function was held to mark the occasion. The Principal Secretary of Commerce and Industries Department, Dr Thomas Chandy, along with officers of various central agencies were present on the occasion.
- The bilateral border trade between the two countries is organised four days a week for six months, between May 1 and November 30, every year. It was resumed in 2006 after a gap of 44 years.
SEBI bars NSE from securities market for 6 months in co-location case
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) directed the National Stock Exchange (NSE) to disgorge Rs 625 crore, along with interest at 12 per cent per annum since 2014, for lapses at its co-location (colo) facility, which allowed unfair access to certain brokers. The regulator also barred the exchange for a period of six months from accessing the securities market.
- The markets regulator also came down heavily on NSE’s former managing directors (MDs) and chief executive officers (CEOs) Ravi Narain and Chitra Ramkrishna, who were at the helm when the exchange servers were exploited.
Government and IIT-Delhi to set up a CoE for Waste to Wealth Technologies
The Indian Institute of Technology Delhi has announced that they will be introducing a new Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies. This step has been taken as a way to celebrate Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th Birthday. The initiative is a joint effort of IIT-D and Government of India’s Principle Scientific Advisor (PSA).
- The Centre of Excellence will help in bringing about the application of Technological and scientific solutions to the issues regarding waste management which are sustainable as well.
BHEL signs MoU with ARAI for e-mobility projects
Bharat Heavy Electricals and Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), an autonomous body affiliated to the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises have signed an MoU for cooperation on various projects related to e-mobility.
- BHEL’s unique strength as technology developer and implementer and ARAI’s advanced facilities and expertise in design, testing and certification of mobility products, will generate synergies in implementing solutions for Electric & Trolley Bus, EV Chargers, Battery & Charger testing, etc.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
PayPal ‘One Touch’ Instant Payment Feature for Android Launched in India
PayPal India has launched its One Touch instant payments feature for Android devices in the country. The feature uses Google Smart Lock to save your login credentials on that particular device. Customers will still need to go through the 2-factor authentication of their respective debit or credit cards.
- PayPal separated from e-commerce platform eBay in 2015, and has since broadened the scope of its services.
India drop to 5th spot in T20I rankings
India dropped 3 places to be the fifth-ranked team in T20Is. On the other hand, reigning T20 World Cup champions Pakistan have consolidated their top spot and are now on 286 points while the next four teams are within two points of each other- South Africa (262), England (261), Australia (261) and India (260).
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) unveiled the new expanded T20I team rankings table with 80 teams who will now be able to gauge their progress in a format, recognised by the ICC as the vehicle for the growth of the game.
Barcelona and Spain legend footballer Xavi Hernandez announced retirement
Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez has announced that the 2018/19 season will be his final one as a professional footballer. Xavi, who currently plays for Al-Sadd in Qatar, holds the all-time appearances record at FC Barcelona with 767, and scored 85 goals from 1998 to 2015.
- Xavi debuted with the Barca first team under Louis Van Gaal, and was part of the team’s glory years from 1998 to 2015.
Jaipur to host Asian Youth Women Handball Championship
Jaipur will host the 8th Asian Youth Women Handball Championship in which 10 teams, including defending champions South Korea, will be participating. It is the first time that the tournament will be hosted by Pink city Jaipur. Earlier Delhi had hosted it in 2015 where the hosts India had finished seventh.
- The previous edition in 2017 was held at Jakarta in Indonesia where South Korea was the champion while Japan and China were placed second and third respectively.
Myntra appoints Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma as first brand ambassadors
Flipkart-owned fashion e-commerce platform Myntra announced that it had appointed celebrity couple Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma as its first brand ambassadors. This is would be the couple’s second big brand endorsement deal after men’s ethnic wear brand Manyavar, which they have been associated with since 2017.
- Myntra has launched an integrated campaign called ‘Go Myntra-la-la’ which will be promoted across television, print, digital and outdoor.
Ex-Kerala Minister Vishwanatha Menon passes away
Former CPI-M Kerala Finance Minister V. Vishwanatha Menon passed away at a private hospital in Kochi. He was 92. Finance Minister in the E.K. Nayanar cabinet from 1987-91, Menon was one of the tallest leaders in Ernakulam, and was popularly referred to as Ambadi Viswan.
- He was the a popular leader of the undivided Communist party and later moved on to the CPI-M.
Actor Peter Mayhew passes away
“Star Wars” actor Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca in the original trilogy. He was 74. Mayhew went on to appear in “The Empire Strikes Back,” “Return of the Jedi,” “Revenge of the Sith,” “The Force Awakens” and “The Star Wars Holiday Special.” He was active on the “Star Wars” convention circuit and wrote two books, “Growing Up Giant” and “My Favorite Giant.”
- He established the Peter Mayhew Foundation to provide funds for those in need, and suported the 501st Legion, Wounded Warriors, Make-a-Wish and other non-profits.
World Password Day 2019
The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the first Thursday of May (2 May) of each year as World Password Day. World Password Day is a celebration to promote better password habits. Passwords are critical gatekeepers to our digital identities, allowing us to access online shopping, dating, banking, social media, private work and life communications.