Daily Current Affairs 4 November 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Meghalaya CM launches “Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme”
In Meghalaya, the “Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme” was launched by Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma at Tura, West Garo Hills district.
- Launching the programme, the Chief Minister said that the Government has initiated various welfare programmes and the information should be disseminated for the larger benefit of the public.
- The programme will also aim to create much-needed awareness amongst the masses so that people will have the right information to avail benefits of the schemes being launched by the Government. He further encouraged the team to sensitize themselves so that they can in turn sensitize the public regarding all the available schemes.
Itanagar: Hollongi Greenfield Airport to be called ‘Donyi Polo’ Airport
The Union Cabinet gave approval to the change of name of the Greenfield Airport at Hollongi, Itanagar. The airport will now be known as “Donyi Polo Airport”, Itanagar.
- The new name is aimed at reflecting Arunachal people’s reverence of the Sun (Donyi) and the Moon (Polo) and symbolizes the rich cultural heritage of the State.
- The airport is being developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) with assistance from the Central Government and the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh.
Finance Minister launches Biggest Ever Coal Mine Auction of 141 Mines
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched the biggest-ever coal mine auction of 141 mines that are expected to benefit twelve states directly.
During the launch, the finance minister said that a fast-growing economy like India needs greater investment in coal production and gasification projects.
- The mines being auctioned are spread across coal/lignite-bearing states of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Bihar.
- The Coal Ministry in a statement said that 33 coal mines were put up for auction in the sixth round of commercial auctions, out of which 71 were new coal mines and 62 coal mines were rolling over from earlier tranches of commercial auctions.
- Additionally, 8 coal mines under the second attempt of 5th round of commercial auctions were included for which single bids were received in the first attempt.
Gender Wealth Gap(GWG) In APAC Largest In India At 64%: Report
Gender divide in India seems to have translated into the widest gap in wealth among Asia-Pacific region. A gender wealth gap of 64 percent in India is largely due to limited leadership roles for women and the higher burden of caregiving responsibilities, a study has revealed.
- South Korea tops the league of 12 markets with the gap narrowing down to 90 percent score, it showed.According to the findings of the 2022 WTW Global Gender Wealth Equity, only 3 percent of women in the workforce occupy senior positions in India.
- Globally, women in senior expert and leadership roles were found to have less than 62% of the accumulated wealth that their male counterparts enjoyed at retirement.
- Moreover, at 69%, a substantial gap exists in mid-level professional and technical roles globally, narrowing significantly to 89% in frontline operational roles.
Collins Dictionary’s Word of the Year is “Permacrisis”
Collins Dictionary has captured the troubled essence of 2022 in its Word Of The Year (WOTY) in a portmanteau – permacrisis.
- Permacrisis is a combination of two words, “permanent” and “crisis”. The term describes ‘an extended period of instability and insecurity.’ The lexicographers at Collins believe that the word aptly encompasses the ongoing crises in the UK and the world.
- Nine other words, including sportswashing and quiet quitting, also made it to the ten words of the year list. Six of the declared words on this list, including permacrisis, are new to CollinsDictionary.com.
BANKING & FINANCE
Indian Exim Bank inks pact with Southern Africa’s Leading Bank to Boost India-Africa Trade
The Export-Import Bank of India (India Exim Bank) has signed a Master Risk Participation Agreement with FirstRand Bank (FRB) Limited to support trade transactions.
- The agreement was signed on the sidelines of the India-Southern Africa Regional Conclave in Johannesburg.
- Under this program, India Exim Bank provides credit enhancement to trade instruments, thereby increasing the capacity of commercial banks and financial institutions to conduct cross-border trade transactions with markets where trade lines are constrained or potential has not been realized.
Bank of Baroda launches BoB World Opulence and BoB World Sapphire premium debit cards
Bank of Baroda (BOB) has introduced two new premium debit cards for its customers: the BoB World Opulence (Metal Edition), a super-premium Visa Infinite Debit Card, and the BoB World Sapphire, a Visa Signature Debit Card.
- The two debit card variants include a best-in-class and powerful rewards proposition tailored specifically for the Bank’s High Networth Individual (HNI) customer segment, the bank said.
- The BoB World Sapphire card will be available in two sub-variants: BoB World Sapphire (Male) and BoB World Sapphire (Female), each with its own set of benefits.
Benjamin Netanyahu wins majority in Israeli election
Former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu sealed his return to power, as the final vote count from elections this week gave him and his far-right allies a clear majority in parliament.
- Results released by the electoral commission said that with 99 per cent of votes counted, Netanyahu’s right-wing Likud party had earned 32 seats in Israel’s 120-seat parliament, the Knesset.
- It means that the country’s longest-serving prime minister will reenter office at the head of what many expect will be the most right-wing government in Israel’s 74-year-history.
VR Krishna Gupta named as chairman of BPCL
State-run Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) said its Director (Finance) Vetsa Rama Krishna Gupta has taken up the additional charge of Chairman and Managing Director.
- Gupta’s elevation comes after Arun Kumar Singh superannuated as CMD, the oil marketing company said in a statement.
- With a 24-year career at BPCL in various finance roles, Gupta currently also holds the additional charge of Director (HR).He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (1998 batch) and Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
SEWA Founder & Women’s Activist Elaben Bhatt passes away
Renowned women’s rights activist Ela Bhatt, the founder of SEWA (Self Employed Women’s Association), died due to age-related issues, her associates said.
- Bhatt, 89, a Padma Bhushan recipient, was a pioneer in the field of women empowerment and had received international recognition due to her work.
- She had been nominated to the Rajya Sabha and also served on the Planning Commission.
- Bhatt was also one of the founders of Women’s World Banking, Women in Informal Economy: Globalising, Organising (WIEGO) and International Alliance of Home-based Workers (HomeNet).
- Besides Padma Bhushan and Ramon Magsaysay award, she had also received the Right Livelihood Award, Niwano Peace Prize and Indira Gandhi International Prize for Peace.