Daily Current Affairs 4 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union Minister Bhupender Yadav launches DigiSaksham – a digital skills programme to enhance employability of youth
Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav launched DigiSaksham – a digital skills programme to enhance the employability of youth by imparting digital skills.
- This joint initiative with Microsoft India is an extension of the Government’s ongoing programmes to support the youth from rural and semi-urban areas.
- Through DigiSaksham initiative, free of cost training in digital skills including basic skills as well as advance computing, will be provided to more than three lakh youths in the first year. The Jobseekers can access the training through National Career Service Portal – www.ncs.gov.in.
World’s largest Khadi Tricolour unfurled in Ladakh on Gandhi Jayanti
World’s largest Khadi national flag was installed at Leh in Ladakh on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on October 2, 2021. It was inaugurated by Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur.
- The tricolor, which is 225-feet long and 150-feet wide, weighs around 1,000 kg. The flag has been made by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and was displayed by 57 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army.
- Sura-Soi Engineer Regiment was entrusted with the responsibility of installing the National Flag at the top of the high mountains.
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt keeps interest rates of PPF & other small saving schemes unchanged for third quarter of current fiscal
Government has kept interest rates on the popular Public Provident Fund (PPF) and other small saving schemes unchanged for the third quarter of current fiscal.
- A circular issued by the finance ministry said that PPF will continue to earn 7.10%, NSC 6.8%, and Post Office Monthly Income Scheme Account will earn 6.6% interest during the October-December quarter.
- For the Senior Citizen Savings Scheme, the interest rate is 7.4 per cent per annum. Sukanya Samriddhi Account holders will continue to get 7.6 per cent compounded annually on their account balance.
- The 5-year Monthly Income Account Scheme is offering 6.6 per cent payable monthly, while the 5-year NSC continues to offer 6.8 per cent compounded annually. On the 1-year time deposit, the rate of interest stands at 5.5 per cent while on the 5-year deposit, the rate is 6.7 per cent per annum.
- Currently, most leading banks are offering interest rates of around 5.5 per cent over1 to 10-year deposits.
Former India striker SV Sunil retires from international hockey
Veteran India men’s hockey team striker SV Sunil announced his international retirement, ending a 14-year-long career during which he was a part of the 2014 Asian Games gold-winning side.
- The 32-year-old Sunil, hailing from Karnataka, was not a part of the team that competed in the Tokyo Olympics. The senior player appeared in 264 India matches, striking 72 goals.
Air Marshal BR Krishna assumes charge of Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee
Air Marshal B.R. Krishna assumed charge of Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC).
- Commissioned as a fighter pilot in 1983, Air Marshal Krishna has had a distinguished career spanning over 38 years.
- Qualified Flying Instructor and experimental test pilot, he has flown a wide variety of fighters, transport aircraft and helicopters in the inventory of Indian Air Force (IAF). He has over 5,000 hours of flying experience including operational, instructional and test flying.
Amish Mehta takes charge as MD & CEO of CRISIL
Amish Mehta will take over as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of CRISIL Ltd, an S&P Global Company, effective October 1, 2021, CRISIL said.
- He is taking over from Ashu Suyash, who had decided to step down to set up her own venture. The change is in line with an announcement to this effect by the CRISIL Board in July 2021.
Kangana Ranaut becomes brand ambassador of UP govt’s ‘one district-one product’ scheme
The Uttar Pradesh government named actor Kangana Ranaut as the brand ambassador of its ambitious ‘one district-one product’ programme.
- The U.P. government has launched the ODOP programme with the aim to create product-specific traditional industrial hubs across 75 districts of the State.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav launches web portal -indianwetlands.in
Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav has launched a web portal – indianwetlands.in on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti and heralding the Iconic Week of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav of the Ministry. The portal is a single point access to all information relating to wetlands.
- The portal is a dynamic system for processing information and making it available to the stakeholders in an efficient and accessible manner.
- The portal also hosts capacity building material, data repository, videos and and information for students.
Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’s Nattu Kaka Aka Ghanshyam Nayak Passes Away
Veteran actor Ghanshyam Nayak, fondly known for playing the role of Nattu Kaka in Sony SAB’s ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ passed away in Mumbai. He was 77.
- Apart from TMKOC, Ghanshyam haD worked in several Gujarati films, Hindi movies and TV shows. Not only this, but had even been a part of 100 Gujrati stage plays. He also made an appearance in various Bollywood films including– . Masoom, Tirangaa, Aashik Awara, Aankhen, China Gate, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Tere Naam.
National Wildlife Week
India observes Wildlife Week from October 2nd to October 8th every year with the aim of protecting India’s fauna.
- During the week, experts conduct workshops in order to make people understand the importance of wildlife conservation.