Current Affairs 4 April 2017
MD and CEO of Indian Bank and IDBI Bank swaps
Kishor Kharat assumes charge as Managing Director and CEO of Indian Bank. Prior to taking up the new role, he was serving as the MD and CEO of IDBI Bank
- Mahesh Kumar Jain assumed change as MD and CEO of IDBI bank. Before his role in IDBI, he was the MD and CEO of Indian Bank.
Centre sets up National Board of Electric Mobility
The Centre notified the constitution of the National Board of Electric Mobility (NBEM).
- The NBEM will examine, formulate and propose short- as well as long-term plans and contours of the mission programme on electric mobility, its objectives, quantifiable outcomes and roles and responsibilities of the various stakeholders.
India, Malaysia tie up for skilling, entrepreneurship development
The Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII) has tied up with Human Resource Development Fund under Ministry of HRD, Malaysia, for skill development, and assist the South-East Asian country in its target of ensuring 35 per cent skilled Malaysian workforce by 2020.
India-UK launch 240 mn pound joint fund for green energy
India and Britain agreed to jointly set up a fund with corpus contributions of 120 million pounds each to finance Indian infrastructure projects
- It is a major step taken on the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
- India set up the NIIF in December 2015 as an investment vehicle for funding commercially viable greenfield, brownfield and stalled projects.
Jhargram becomes 22nd Bengal district
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee declared Jhargram as the 22nd district of West Bengal, fulfilling a longstanding demand of its residents.
- She announced that April 4 will henceforth be celebrated as Jhargram Divas.
Piyush Goyal launches self-help book
Union Minister of Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy, Piyush Goyal has launched a self-helpbook on establishing a credible business and making profit.
- Titled “The Entrepreneur’s Guidebook,” the book is authored by Suresh Bharwani, Chairman and Managing Director of Jetking Infotrain Limited.
Haryana Minister Ram Bilas Sharma Nominated as ACKFI Chairman
Haryana Education Minister, Ram Bilas Sharma has been nominated as Chairman of Amateur Circle Kabaddi Federation of India (ACKFI) for the next four years.
New mobile app to facilitate nominations for Neerja Bhanot Awards
App ‘Neerja Bhanot App’ is launched to make it convenient for deserving people to be nominated for the Neerja Bhanot Awards.
- The annual Neerja Bhanot Awards were instituted in 1990 in the memory of the brave Pan-Am senior flight attendant, Neerja.
Chandigarh becomes second kerosene-free city
Chandigarh became the second kerosene-free city, after Delhi, indicating the country’s gradual shift away from the polluting fossil fuel, helped by increased supply of cleaner cooking fuel like liquified petroleum gas (LPG) and progress in rural electrification.
- Subsidised kerosene will not be supplied in Chandigarh from 1 April.
DMRC solar plants listed with United Nations
The Delhi Metro’s solar rooftop plants has become the first of its kind green project to be registered with United Nations on climate change for any metro or railway system in the world.
- The clean development mechanism project has been registered with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) under the ‘small scale category’ for facilities with an installed solar capacity of less than 15 MW
Geetha Johri becomes Gujarat’s first woman IPS
A 1982 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) Geetha Johri has been appointed as the first woman Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat, replacing PP Pandey, who resigned.
Tata AIG conferred with ‘iAAA’ rating by ICRA
Credit rating body ICRA awarded Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited, one of India’s leading private sector General Insurance Company, with ‘iAAA’ rating for its claims paying ability.
- The ‘iAAA’ rating is the highest for claims paying ability for an insurance company in the industry
India ranks 3rd for third year in a row in world doping chart
India has been ranked third for the third year in a row in a doping violation report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for 2015, with 117 athletes from the country being punished after testing positive for banned substances.
- India followed the Russian Federation (176) and Italy (129) in the chart, the same position as in the reports of 2013 and 2014.
NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Games
The National Hockey League will not take part in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. It would finalize its 2017-18 season schedule without a Winter Games break.
FIFA ban former Guatemalan FA president Jimenez for life
FIFA’s ethics committee has banned former Guatemalan Football Association president Brayan Jimenez from all football-related activities for life on corruption charges.
Eritrean-born journalist Dawit Isaak awarded UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2017
Dawit Isaak, an imprisoned Eritrean-Swedish journalist, has been chosen to receive the 2017 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize.
Singapore blocks visas for Indian IT professionals
As US gets tough on H-1B visas, Singapore is the latest country which is seeking to restrict access to Indian professionals employed in the information technology sector.
- At the heart of the matter are three main issues — since 2014, the Singapore government has increased the minimum salary for eligibility to apply for a job in Singapore, it then asked companies to advertise jobs locally, before applying for a work permit. Since February 2016, it has been withholding decisions on work permit applications of Indian companies.