Daily Current Affairs 5 & 6 November for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Jal Diwali -“Women for Water, Water for Women Campaign” launched
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) is all set to unveil a progressive initiative “Women for Water, Water for Women Campaign” under its flagship scheme – Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), in partnership with the Ministry’s National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM).
- Odisha Urban Academy is the knowledge partner.The campaign aims to provide a platform for inclusion of women in water governance.This campaign celebrates “Jal Diwali” and commences from, 7th November, 2023. It will continue till 9th November, 2023.
IIT-Kanpur ready to tackle Delhi-NCR air pollution with artificial rain: Report
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur has reportedly developed a potential solution to address the problem of air pollution in Delhi and its neighbouring regions. They propose the use of “artificial rains” through cloud seeding to help clear pollutants and dust from the air.
- The premier institute has been working on creating the necessary conditions for artificial rains for over five years and conducted successful trials in July. The researchers have obtained the necessary permissions from government authorities, including the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), for cloud seeding, according to the report.
Bhutan King arrives in Delhi; scheduled to meet PM Modi, EAM Jaishankar
Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck arrived in New Delhi to a red carpet welcome with External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar receiving him at the airport, reflecting the importance India has attached to the trip.
- Wangchuck’s high-profile trip to India comes amid renewed push by Bhutan and China for an early settlement of their decades-old boundary dispute.
- The visit will further strengthen close bonds of friendship and cooperation with a valued partner.
Free Ration Scheme To Be Extended 5 More Years: PM Modi
PM Narendra Modi announced the extension of the free foodgrain scheme, the PM Garib Kalyan Ann Yojna (PMGKAY) — benefiting over 80 crore poor for the next five years.
- This announcement has been made by PM Modi while addressing a public rally in Durg, Chhattisgarh, ahead of the state assembly elections.
- Currently under the scheme, the beneficiaries receive food grains every month at a nominal price of ₹ 1-3 per kilogram. The monthly quantity of food grains has been defined as per the categories mandated under the provision of the NFSA Act.
India tops in workplace burnout survey with 59% reporting symptoms
A new survey on employees’ well-being has revealed that India topped the rank in workplace burnout. According to the McKinsey Health Institute’s 2023 survey, “India respondents reported the highest rates of burnout symptoms at 59%”.
- Younger workers aged 18 to 24, employees from smaller companies, and all workers who are nonmanagers reported higher burnout.
- Cameroon, a country in Central Africa reported the lowest rates of burnout symptoms at workplaces at 9%. The global average of burnout was 20% but cognitive, exhaustion, and emotional impairment varied.
- Indian employees reported the highest level of workplace exhaustion at 62%, followed by Japan (61%). Switzerland reported the least level of workplace exhaustion at 22%.On the other hand, India ranked 2nd in holistic health of employees after Turkey in McKinsey Health Institute’s 2023 survey.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IOC acquires Mercator Petroleum for Rs 148 crore
State-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has acquired Mercator Petroleum for about Rs 148 crore in an insolvency proceeding, according to regulatory filings by the company.
- MPL has an onland oil and gas exploration block located in Cambay Basin, Gujarat. The block CB-ONN-2005/9, which the company had won in 7th NELP bid round in 2008, has potential oil discovery of 45.5 million barrels of inplace reserves.
NTPC Renewable Energy starts commercial operation from its maiden project in Gujarat
NTPC Renewable Energy, a wholly owned subsidiary of NTPC, has declared the commercial operation of its first project, the 50 MW wind project at Dayapar in Kutch, Gujarat.
- With this commercial operation, which started recently, the total installed capacity of the NTPC Group has become 73,874 MW and the total renewable energy (RE) operational capacity now stands at 3,364 MW.
- Dayapar is the first project of NTPC Renewable Energy Limited. NTPC REL was incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC on October 7, 2020, to accelerate the addition of renewable energy capacity to NTPC.
New York city wins first US National Gatka Championship
The city of New York has been declared the winner of the US National Gatka Championship, the first-ever American national championship of the popular Sikh martial arts.
- Held at a Gurdwara in Queens, New York, over the weekend, the popular Sikh martial arts championship was attended by more than 100 players in different age groups from various parts of the country.
‘AI’ named Collins Word of the Year
The abbreviation of artificial intelligence (AI) has been named the Collins Word of the Year for 2023, the dictionary publisher said.
- Lexicographers at Collins Dictionary said use of the term had “accelerated” and that it had become the dominant conversation of 2023.
- Collins said its wordsmiths analysed the Collins Corpus, a database that contains more than 20 billion words with written material from websites, newspapers, magazines and books published around the world.
RBI conferred with businessline’s Changemaker of the Year 2023 Award
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), under the stewardship of its Governor Shaktikanta Das, was honoured with the ‘Changemaker of the Year’ award recently.The honour was part of the Hindu businessline Changemaker Awards 2023, which were held at ITC Maurya in New Delhi.
- Meanwhile, world-renowned dairy cooperative AMUL (Anand Milk Union Limited) was named the ‘Iconic Changemaker of the Year’ in recognition of its enduring impact on the country over the decades, standing the test of time as a transformative force.
- Furthermore, Neha Bagaria– Founder and CEO of HerKey and Safeena Hussain- Founder of Educate Girls were honoured with the ‘Changemaker – Social Transformation’ award. Stellapps Technologies Private Limited received the ‘Changemaker – Digital Transformation’ accolade.
- Also, the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was recognised with the ‘Changemaker – Financial Transformation’ award for its significant role in India’s economic revolution.Shrinidhi RS was announced as the ‘Young Changemaker’ for their dedicated efforts in Ed-tech and Mental Health Awareness respectively.