Daily Current Affairs 5 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Piyush Goyal Launches UTTAM APP for Coal Quality Monitoring
The Union Minister for Railways and Coal Shri Piyush Goyal launched UTTAM App for Coal Quality Monitoring. UTTAM stands for – Unlocking Transparency by Third Party Assessment of Mined Coal (uttam.coalindia.in). The Ministry of Coal and Coal India Limited (CIL) developed UTTAM,aims to provide an App for all citizens and coal consumers to monitor the process of Third Party Sampling of coal across CIL subsidiaries.
- UTTAM App ensures accountability, transparency, effectiveness and efficiency in coal ecosystem. It provides a platform for monitoring of sampling and coal dispatches. The App is designed with an aim to make the citizens a stakeholder in the coal ecosystem.
‘Monument Mitras’ to adopt heritage sites/monuments to provide world class tourist amenities
Ministry of Tourism in close collaboration with Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) launched “Adopt a Heritage Project” to provide world class tourist facilities at the various natural/cultural heritage sites, monuments and other tourist sites to make them tourist friendly, enhance their tourist potential and cultural importance in a planned and phased manner across the country.
- The project envisages that selected public sector companies, private sector companies and individuals will develop tourist amenities at heritage sites. They would become ‘Monument Mitra’ and adopt the sites essentially under their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activity.
UIDAI launches ‘Virtual ID’ to address privacy concerns related to Aadhaar
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched the much-awaited ‘Virtual ID’ which will be a random 16-digit number mapped to a person’s Aadhaar number.
- The concept of Virtual ID was announced earlier this year to address privacy concerns. The new feature will allow Aadhaar holders to quote their Virtual ID (VID) number without actually disclosing the 12-digit Aadhaar number for authentication or verification purposes.
- UIDAI had stated that it will be compulsory for all agencies that undertake authentication to accept the VID from their users from June 1, 2018.
Himachal Government launches programme to promote breastfeeding
With an aim to promote breastfeeding, Himachal Pradesh Government launched Mother’s Absolute Affection (MAA) programme in the state. The aim of the programme was to make people aware about the importance of breastfeeding.
India pips Japan to become second largest crude steel-maker
In a major achievement, India has overtaken Japan to become the world’s second largest producer of crude steel in February, according to the Steel Users Federation of India (Sufi).
- At present, China is the largest producer of crude steel in the world, accounting for more than 50 per cent of the production.
Nasa’s Hubble telescope captures image of Icarus, farthest star ever seen
Nasa’s Hubble Space Telescope has discovered the farthest individual star ever seen – an enormous blue stellar body nicknamed Icarus located over halfway across the universe.
- The star, harboured in a very distant spiral galaxy, is so far away that its light has taken nine billion years to reach Earth.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI holds repo rate at 6% in first policy review of fiscal
The RBI maintained the status quo on its key short-term lending rate at 6 per cent, along with its ‘neutral’ stance, at the first bi-monthly monetary policy review of the new fiscal, in line with what was being widely expected.
- This is the fourth policy review in succession that the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) six-member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has kept the repo, or short-term interest rate for commercial banks, unchanged.
- The RBI also revised downwards inflation in Q4 of FY18 from 5.1 per cent to 4.5 per cent.
- RBI estimated that the real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth for FY20 will range from 7.4 to 7.9 percent.
IndusInd first bank to use WhatsApp for basic services
IndusInd Bank has become the first lender to start using WhatsApp enterprise solution to provide basic banking services to customers. Using the widely-used messaging service, customers can check their balance, obtain a mini statement, check reward points as well as update Aadhaar.
- The private sector lender is the first bank to participate in the WhatsApp pilot. In India, BookMyShow recently started using the platform to communicate with customers.
Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu clinches India’s first gold medal of the 2018 Commonwealth Games
World champion weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu gave India its first Gold Medal at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
India win South East Asian Women Handball C’ship
India defeated Bangladesh by 27-10 in a one-sided match to win the fifth South East Asian Women Handball Championship at K.D. Singh Babu Stadium in Lucknow.
Malayalam actor Ajith passes away
Malayalam film star Ajith, known for portraying negative roles, has passed away. Ajith, 56, was admitted to the hospital 10 days ago following health issues.
International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action: 4 April
The United Nations’ International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed on April 4 each year. This day aims to raise awareness about landmines and progress toward their eradication.
- The theme of International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action in 2018 is “Mine Action: Advancing Protection, Peace, and Development”.
National Maritime Day: 5 April
April 5 is celebrated as the National Maritime Day in India every year. It was on this day 99 years ago in 1919 when the country’s navigation history set sail with SS Loyalty, the first ship of the Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd started for the United Kingdom from Mumbai (then British Bombay).
- The theme of the National Maritime Day in 2018 is ‘Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity’.