Daily Current Affairs 5 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
IAF commemorates 60 years of glorious service by Chetak Helicopters
The Chetak helicopter in the inventory of the Indian Armed Forces has completed 60 years of glorious service to the Nation. To commemorate this momentous event, a conclave is being organized on April 2 by Air Force Station Hakimpet under the aegis of Indian Air Force & Training Command, IAF.
- The conclave intends to provide a platform to showcase six decades of helicopter operations in the country, highlighting Chetak helicopter operations in particular.
- The highlights of the event will involve reflections, narrations and discussions by prominent speakers from the veteran community and the services.
Andhra Pradesh’s first ‘She Auto’ stands set up in Tirupati
In a move to provide safe transport to women and girl students, Andhra Pradesh’s Tirupati police have set up three ‘She Auto’ stands, the first of its kind in the state. The three auto stands have been set up in RTC Bus Stand, Mahila University, and Ruia Hospital.
- Tirupati is the first city in the state to set up special auto stands for women like this. Proved that women have a special place in society by setting up auto stand in RTC bus stand in Tirupati, Women’s University and Rua Hospital. Earlier, women, auto drivers used to keep their vehicles with men at other auto stands.
Rajasthan: Gangaur festival celebrated across state with traditional reverence, gaiety
In Rajasthan, the festival of Gangaur was celebrated across the state with traditional reverence and gaiety. Women did pray for happiness and prosperity by worshiping Isar-Gaur that is Lord Shiva and Parvati at homes and temples. On this occasion, the royal procession of Gangaur took place after two years due to the COVID pandemic in the capital Jaipur.
- This royal procession started from City Palace and concluded at Talkatora. Thousands of people from the state and the country witnessed this royal ride of Gangaur. This royal procession has been a tourist attraction for several years, but did not take place for the last two years due to COVID.
Stand-Up India Scheme completes 6 years; Loans worth over 30,160 crore rupees sanctioned to more than one lakh 33 thousand beneficiaries
The sixth anniversary of the Stand Up India scheme is being celebrated on April 5,2022.
- Over 30 thousand 160 crore rupees have been sanctioned under Stand Up India Scheme to more than 1 lakh 33 thousand 995 accounts since inception of the Scheme.
- Stand Up India scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 5th April 2016. It facilitates loans to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, and women borrowers for setting up a greenfield enterprise in manufacturing, services, or trading sector.
As on 23rd March 2022 approximately 45 crore Jan-Dhan accounts opened with deposit balance of over Rs 1.63 lakh cr: Bhagwat Karad
As informed by banks, as on 23rd March, 2022 approximately 45 crore Jan-Dhan accounts have been opened with deposit balance of over 1.63 lakh crore rupees. This was stated by the Union Minister of State for Finance Dr. Bhagwat Karad in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
- The Minister informed that under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojan(PMMY), as on 18th March, 2022, 34.28 crore loans amounting to 18.52 lakh crore rupees have been sanctioned since inception of the scheme.
- Under Stand-Up India Scheme(SUPI), as on 25th of March, 2022, 1.34 lakh loans amounting to 30,274 crore rupees have been sanctioned since inception of the scheme.
15th Finance Commission recommends total of Rs 2 lakh 36 thousand 805 cr for duly constituted Rural Local Bodies in 28 states
The 15th Finance Commission has recommended a total of two lakh 36 thousand 805 crore rupees for duly constituted Rural Local Bodies in 28 states for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26. The commission has recommended a total of over one lakh 42 thousand crore rupees as tied grant, for maintenance of ODF status, supply of drinking water, rainwater harvesting and water recycling.
- During the last financial year, out of total 26 thousand 941 crore rupees, more than 21 thousand 741 crore rupees has been released till 31st of March this year. The Ministry said, out of the total grant earmarked for Panchayati Raj institutions, 60 per cent is earmarked for drinking water and sanitation sector.
India, Australia sign accord to double trade in 5 years
India and Australia signed an Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (ECTA) that seeks to almost double bilateral trade in the next five years to $45-50 billion from $27 billion now.
- Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal and Australian minister for trade, tourism, and investment Dan Tehan signed the India-Australia ECTA in a virtual ceremony in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison.
- India expects one million jobs will be created in the country in the next five years through the pact.The pact includes concessions in services as well with both countries willing to facilitate the recognition of professional qualifications, licensing, and registration procedures between professional bodies.
BANKING & FINANCE
Google Pay collaborates with Pine Labs to launch ‘Tap to Pay’ for UPI
Payments platform Google Pay has launched ‘Tap to Pay’ feature in collaboration with Pine Labs for Unified Payments Interface (UPI)-based transactions.
- This is the first time the ‘Tap to Pay’ functionality is available on a payments platform as it was earlier only available for debit or credit cards.
- To complete payment using this feature, a user needs to tap his phone on the POS terminal and authenticate the payment from his smartphone, using his UPI PIN, making the process virtually instantaneous and fast, compared to scanning a QR code or entering the UPI-linked mobile number.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FICCI survey estimates India’s GDP growth for 2022-23 at 7.4%
The country’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to grow 7.4 per cent in the current financial year 2022-23, according to the FICCI Economic Outlook Survey.
- It forecasts the growth for agriculture and allied activities at 3.3 per cent, while for industry and services sectors at 5.9 per cent and 8.5 per cent, respectively, during the fiscal year.
- According to estimates provided by the Survey participants, global growth could slow by 50-75 basis points due to the conflict, further moderating the prospects of the post-COVID-19 recovery.
Chhattisgarh with Lowest Unemployment Rate in Country, Highest Joblessness in Haryana
Chhattisgarh has been ranked first among states with the lowest unemployment rate in the country, an official statement said. According to the latest data released by the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE), Chhattisgarh has registered an unemployment rate of 0.6 per cent this March, which is the lowest so far.
- As per the data, Haryana has the highest unemployment rate at 26.7 per cent, followed by Rajasthan and Jammu and Kashmir at 25 per cent each and Jharkhand at 14.5 per cent.
- The Chhattisgarh government adopted a new model of development three years ago in line with Mahatma Gandhi’s vision of ’Gram Swaraj’ envisaging inclusive development of the state and launched various schemes including Suraji Gaon Yojana, Narva-Garva-Ghurva-Bari programme, Godhan Nyay Yojana, Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana etc. for boosting the rural economy.
Australia win women’s cricket World Cup for record seventh time
Australia produced yet another dominant performance on the day of the final to beat England by 71 runs, winning a record-extending seventh Women’s World Cup title in Christchurch.
- Alyssa Healy smashed a whirlwind 170 to power Australia to a mammoth total of 356/5 in 50 overs. It was a dominating performance from the Aussies after being invited to bat — besides Healy’s special performance, Rachael Haynes (68) and Beth Mooney (62) also struck fine half-centuries to power the Aussie innings.
ICC Women’s ODI Rankings: Captain Mithali Raj Slips to 7th, Smriti Mandhana Moves to 9th in Batting Charts
India skipper Mithali Raj dropped a place to seventh but star opener Smriti Mandhana moved up to ninth position in the ICC Women ODI batters rankings issued.
- Besides the duo, vice-captain Harmanpreet Kaur climbed one place to the 14th spot.Harmanpreet has been India’s second best batter in the World Cup with 318 runs from seven games. Her highest was 109.
- Australian keeper-batter Alyssa Healy jumped to the top of the batter rankings after her phenomenal 170 in the final against England
- Four Australians remained in the top six in the latest ODI rankings, with Beth Mooney, Meg Lanning and Haynes joining Healy among the world’s top-ranked batters.
- England all-rounder Nat Sciver’s unbeaten 148 not out in the world Cup final saw her jump to the second spot in the batting rankings.
- England spinner Sophie Ecclestone remained at the number spot 1 in the bowler rankings, with South Africa pacer Shabnim Ismail moving up to second after a terrific tournament.Veteran India pacer Jhulan Goswami remained static at the fifth position.Goswami also held on to her 10th spot in the all-rounders’ rankings, which also featured another Indian in Deepti Sharma at seventh.
UN rights body appoints Tuvalu negotiator as climate change expert
The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) has appointed Dr Ian Fry as the world’s first independent expert for human rights and climate change.
- Dr Fry has been appointed for a period of three years. He holds dual citizenship of Tuvalu and Australia. The first to hold the post will be Ian Fry, who holds both Australian and Tuvaluan nationality.
PharmEasy appoints Aamir Khan as brand ambassador
PharmEasy, a consumer healthcare “super app,” has unveiled its new campaign, which introduces Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan as its brand ambassador.
- API Holdings Limited is in charge of the PharmEasy brand. This partnership will aid in the development of the brand and raising consumer awareness of healthcare in India.
S Raju takes over as Director General of GSI
Dr S Raju has taken over as the Director-General of the Geological Survey of India (GSI) with effect from April 01, 2022. He succeeds R. S. Garkhal who superannuated on March 31, 2022.
- Prior to this, Dr Raju was holding the post of Additional Director General and National Head, Mission-III & IV at GSI HQ.
Viktor Orbán wins fourth consecutive term as Hungary’s prime minister
Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orban won a fourth successive term in office by a landslide victory in the country’s general elections for 2022.
- His right-wing Fidesz party secured 53.1% of the total 98% of the count complete.
- The 58-year-old is already the longest-serving head of government in the EU, since assuming the role of Prime Minister in May 2010.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Haryana Government launches Insurance Portal for Mukhya Mantri Bagwani Bima Yojana
Haryana Agriculture Minister J P Dalal launched the Mukha Mantri Bagwani Bima Yojana webpage, which has a Rs 10 crore starting fund.
- Under this the farmers will be compensated for the damage caused to their crops due to adverse weather and natural calamities.
- The scheme compensates a sum of Rs 30,000 per acre for vegetables and Spices and Rs 40,000 per acre for fruits, which will be compensated to the farmers upon claim via four categories such as 25 per cent, 50 per cent, 75 per cent and 100 per cent based on the survey.
Pixxel launches its first satellite aboard SpaceX, to launch seven more by March 2023
Indian space-tech startup Pixxel has launched its first satellite, part of its eventual 36-satellite planned constellation, aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rideshare mission.
- The satellite was incidentally the second that Pixxel built, and is a part of the first three technology demonstration satellites in its constellation.
- Called ‘Shakuntala’, the satellite will help Pixxel begin its hyperspectral satellite imagery and satellite-based data analytics services to pilot customers.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur launches Broadcast Seva Portal
Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur launched the Broadcast Seva Portal in New Delhi. The portal will provide a single point facility to the stakeholders to request for required permission, registrations and licences. Speaking on the occasion,
- The Broadcast Seva Portal will reduce the turnaround time of applications and at the same time help applicants track the progress.
- The 360-degree digital solution will facilitate the stakeholders in seeking permissions, applying for registration, tracking applications, calculating fees and executing payments. This portal will provide its services under the wider umbrella efforts of Digital India to all stakeholders to private satellite TV channels, teleport operators, community and private radio channels.
Noted Onco-Surgeon Dr Devendra Patel passes away
Noted Onco-Surgeon Dr Devendra Patel passes away.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled his demise. He recalled Dr Patel’s contribution in boosting health infrastructure and cancer care.
- He has been rewarded with various awards including Oncology Excellence Award.