Daily Current Affairs 5 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Article 370 scrapped, Jammu and Kashmir will now be Union Territory
Centre has scrapped Article 370 of the Constitution that gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir and converted the border state into a Union Territory with a legislature. Also, Rajya Sabha passed the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019, paving the way for division of Jammu and Kashmir into two Union territories — Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Ladakh region will be a Union Territory without a legislature. The total number of UTs will now go up to 9 with states cut down to 28.
- The Governor of current J&K will be the Lt Governor of the J&K and Ladakh UTs.
- The provision of Article 239A applicable to Puducherry UT will be applicable to new J&K Union Territory.
- Article 370 – Under which the state had separate laws and provisions that barred people from rest of India from buying land and settling down in the state.
- A UT with a legislature, like Delhi, has a partial statehood status, an elected CM and a council of ministers. Lieutenant Governor in such a UT acts on aid and recommendation of council of ministers but doesn’t need their approval on every matter.
- A UT without a legislature, like Chandigarh, is ruled directly by Centre and doesn’t have a CM.
Udaipur set to host India’s largest education Brainstorm
The third edition of India’s largest education brainstorming event, the ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) will be held on August 09 and 10 in Udaipur- the City of Lakes.
- It will bring together over 500 educators to discuss the way towards establishing India as the next global education powerhouse.
- The theme for this year’s fest is ‘Education for Sustainability: Moving on from conformity to creativity’.
“Aadi Perukku” festival being celebrated in Tamil Nadu
In Tamil Nadu, the “Aadi Perukku” festival was being celebrated. People performed puja’s on the banks of larger water bodies including sea coasts, lakes and rivers. The festival is to show reverence by the public to rivers, as the traditional season of sowing of seeds for the next crops begins from that day.
ISRO sets up SSAM in Bengaluru
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) laid the foundation stone for the Space Situational Awareness Control Centre (SSAM) in Bengaluru.
- The control centre would host a range of activities related to the protection of Indian space assets from inactive satellites, pieces of orbiting objects, near earth asteroids and adverse space weather conditions.
- It would also assimilate the tracking data of inactive satellites from indigenous observation facilities and generates useful information from bare observations through analysis.
EAM Jaishankar attends 10th Mekong-Ganga Cooperation in Bangkok
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar attended 10th Mekong-Ganga Cooperation (MGC) in Thailand’s Bangkok.
- In MGC the Ministers adopted the new MGC Plan of Action 2019-2022 that envisages project-based cooperation in the seven areas of MGC cooperation.
Rohit Sharma becomes the batsman with most number of sixes in T20Is
India’s opening batsman Rohit Sharma has become the batsman with the most number of sixes in the T20I format.
- Sharma blasted two sixes to go past West Indies’s Chris Gayle at the top spot. The right-handed Sharma now has 106 sixes in the format whereas Gayle has 105.
Vinesh Phogat Wins 3rd Successive Gold in 53kg in Poland Open
Vinesh Phogat has bagged her third consecutive gold in women’s 53kg category after winning the Poland Open wrestling tournament in Warsaw.
- The top Indian woman wrestler had stood atop the podium at Grand Prix of Spain and at the Yasar Dogu International at Istanbul, Turkey last month.
Adarsh Singh wins double gold in shooting meet
In Shooting, young Adarsh Singh outclassed his rivals in the Sardar Sajjan Singh Sethi Memorial Masters competition, winning the gold medal in both the men and junior 25 metres rapid fire pistol event in New Delhi.
Thailand Open: Satwiksairaj, Chirag 1st Indian doubles pair to win Super 500 title
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty have become the first Indian pair to win a BWF Super 500 badminton tournament.
- They beat World champions Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen of China in the summit clash of Thailand Open 21-19, 18-21, 21-18 in Bangkok to win the men’s doubles category.
Lewis Hamilton wins his seventh Hungarian Grand Prix
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won his record-extending seventh Hungarian Grand Prix in the Hungaroring. Red Bull’s Max Verstappen finished second while Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel was placed third.
Brendon McCullum announces retirement from all forms of cricket
Former New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. McCullum had previously bid adieu to international cricket on February 24, 2016.
Dale Steyn announces retirement from Test cricket
South African pacer Dale Steyn has announced his retirement from Test cricket with immediate effect.
Noel Quinn becomes interim CEO of HSBC
HSBC has announced the departure of its Chief Executive Officer John Flint. Noel Quinn, the head of HSBC’s Global Commercial Banking unit will replace John Flint as the interim CEO.
Cricket commentator Anant Setalvad passes away
Yesteryear cricket commentator Anant Setalvad has passed away. He was in his mid-80s, according to sources in the Cricket Club of India, of which Setalvad was a long-term member.
Veteran Gujarati journalist Kanti Bhatt passes away
Veteran Gujarati journalist Kanti Bhatt passed away in Mumbai. He was 88.
- He also worked as journalist, writer, columnist and editor in various Gujarati publications like Chitralekha, Mumbai Samachar, Janshakti, Sandesh, Yuva Darshan, Jansatta, Vyapar and Abhiyan.
Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker passes away
Oscar-winning documentarian D.A. Pennebaker (from US) passed away at the age of 94. Pennebaker was popularly known to bring to life Bob Dylan’s mythical 1965 tour of England and also Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign in a documentary titled ‘The War Room’.