Daily Current Affairs 5 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s largest floating solar power plant opens in Kerala
Kerala Electricity Minister MM Mani inaugurated India’s largest floating solar power plant at the Banasura Sagar dam in Wayanad district. The plant, worth approximately ₹9.25 crore, floats on 6,000 square metres of water surface. With a capacity of 500 kilowatts, the plant comprises 1,938 solar panels and 17 inverters.
Newly-formed 15th Finance Commission holds its first meeting
The newly constituted 15th Finance Commission, held its first meeting in Delhi and touched upon preliminary discussions regarding its terms of reference.
- The commission also agreed that it would expedite meetings with the government and the various stakeholders in order to meet those terms.
Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli District Included in NCR
Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district has been included in the national capital region, taking the total number of districts in the NCR to 23.
- Cities in the NCR get funds at “attractive” interest rates from the National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) for infrastructure development.
- Besides Delhi, there are at present 22 districts — 13 of Haryana, seven of Uttar Pradesh and two of Rajasthan — in the NCR.
Missile AKASH successfully launched from Chandipur, Odisha
The Surface to Air Missile AKASH with indigenous radio frequency seeker against target Banshee has been successfully launched from Chandipur, Odisha. With this success, India has achieved the capability of making any type of Surface to Air Missile.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB Funds $580 Million for Reliance’s Bangladesh Power Plant Project
The Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) Board of Directors has approved debt financing and partial risk guarantees totaling $583 million to develop the Reliance Bangladesh Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and Power Project.
- The financing package of ADB includes loans and partial risk guarantees for the power generation facility, as well as for the LNG terminal and the power project, being set up for $1 billion.
Paytm unveils ‘Paytm Ka ATM’ partner outlet for banking operations
India’s largest digital bank Paytm Payments bank has unveiled ‘Paytm Ka ATM’ outlets that allows customers to open Saving Accounts and deposit/withdraw money from their bank accounts. These specially branded outlets will play a key role in bringing banking access to smaller cities and towns by ensuring customers find it easy to locate an access point near them.
- The Bank is the only bank providing zero balance accounts and zero charges on digital transactions.
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance launches digital branches through Mosambee
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company has started adoption of digital branch services through its offering Mosambee to add depth and breadth to its service offerings.
- Mosambee is a handheld device that offers the services of a mobile branch and assists customers with an entire range of customer services such as obtaining premium payment certificates, procuring account statements, paying insurance renewal premiums, checking claim status, locating branches, SMS services for updating PAN and Aadhaar details, etc.
Google launches ‘Files Go’ for smarter mobile-first approach
Tech giant Google announced the launch of Files Go app that takes a mobile-first approach to freeing up space, finding files faster and easily sharing them with others, even when offline.
India win South Asian badminton title
India beat Nepal 3-0 to win the first ever South Asian Regional Badminton Tournament (team championship) held at Guwahati, Assam.
Afghanistan crowned ICC Intercontinental Cup champions
Afghanistan grabbed the ICC Intercontinental Cup defeating United Arab Emirates by 10 wickets on the fourth and final day at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Melbourne to host golf World Cup for 3rd straight time
Organizers of the golf World Cup announced that Melbourne (city in Victoria, Australia) will host the grand team event for the third straight time in 2018.
16-year-old Syrian wins Children’s Peace Prize 2017
Sixteen-year-old Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria was awarded the International Children’s Peace Prize for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children.
- Al Jounde, a refugee of the Syrian civil war, set up a school together with his family in a Lebanese refugee camp that currently provides 200 children with eduction.
Singer Purabi Mukhopadhyay passes away
Veteran Rabindrasangeet singer Purabi Mukhopadhyay has passed away at her city residence in Kolkata after suffering from age-related health problems. She was 83.
World Soil Day: 5 December
World Soil Day (WSD) is held annually on 5 December as a means to focus attention on the importance of healthy soil and advocating for the sustainable management of soil resources.
- The theme of World Soil Day 2017 is “Caring for the Planet starts from the Ground”.