Daily Current Affairs 5 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first Design Development Centre ‘Fashionova’ launched in Surat, Gujarat
India’s first Design Development Center ‘Fashionova’ was launched in the Textile city Surat recently to promote the city in the field of the fashion design sector.
- The main objective of this studio is to provide a strong platform to all those who have a flair of the apparel business.
UP CM launches 24×7 helpline to address people’s grievances
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched a 24×7 toll-free helpline to allow people from across the state to register their grievance via a phone call on number 1076 instead of travelling all the way to Lucknow.
- The chief minister will select 100 complaints out of the total complaints in a month and review them himself.
Longest electrified railway tunnel in India commissioned
The South Central Railway (SCR) has added yet another feather in its cap by commissioning the longest electrified tunnel of 6.6 km built at a total cost of ₹460 crore between Cherlopalli and Rapuru stations. The tunnel is part of the recently completed Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam new railway line.
India ranks 86th in Most Powerful Passport index 2019
Recently the Henley Passport Index 2019 ranking was issued. Indian Passport has been given the rank of 86th position with a mobility score of 58. The score means that Indian passport holders can travel to 58 countries without any prior Visa.
- Asian countries dominate the rankings with Japan and Singapore holding on to the top spot with a score of 189 after they removed Germany from the first position in the year 2018.
- India shares the 86th position with Mauritania, Sao Tome and Principe. India has improved from the previous position of January 2019.
Nepal to promote tourism opportunities in India
In a bid to promote tourism, Nepal Tourism Board is organising a program “Visit Nepal 2020” here in India to highlight the country’s many tourist destinations.
- The Indian market continues to be one of the most important contributors of international visitors into Nepal and last year, the Nepal Tourism Board recorded 200,438 visitors from India.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Bank launches web tool for NPA recovery process
Karnataka Bank Ltd has launched the web tool – ‘Vasool So-Ft’ (Vasool So-Fast) – for digitalising the NPA (non-performing asset) recovery process of the bank.
- It will enable easy and faster processing, real time information and immediate decision making in the recovery area.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bharti Airtel completes merger of Tata Tele’s consumer mobile businesses
Bharti Airtel and Bharti Hexacom announced the merger of the consumer mobile businesses (CMB) of Tata Teleservices (TTSL) and Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) (TTML) with the two Bharti Group companies. This move spells better synergies and increased customer base for the country’s third-largest mobile service provider.
Arjen Robben announces retirement from football
Arjen Robben, the former Bayern Munich and Netherland forward, announced his retirement from football. The 35-year-old has featured in over 500 matches for the club and his country in the entire career.
Economist David Lipton appointed as IMF interim leader
American economist David Lipton will serve as interim leader of the International Monetary Fund, replacing Christine Lagarde who was nominated to head the European Central Bank.
M Nageswar Rao appointed director deneral of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
The Central government appointed M Nageswar Rao, Additional Director of CBI as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard.
- As per the government order, he will continue to hold the post till superannuation in July 2020.
AIR’s former newsreader Barun Haldar passes away
Veteran Newsreader of All India Radio Barun Haldar passed away in Kolkata. He was 85. Haldar was ailing for some time. He was a popular presenter of Western Music in AIR Kolkata before shifting to AIR Delhi as an English Newsreader.
CPI-ML veteran Santosh Rana passes away
Santosh Rana, one of the foremost leaders of the Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) and a major thinker on caste, class and tribal politics in West Bengal and winner of a top literary award in the State, passed away recently. He was 76.