Daily Current Affairs 5 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Urban learning internship programme – TULIP – launched for graduates
Union human resource development (HRD) minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and minister of housing and urban affairs (MoHUA) Hardeep Singh Puri jointly inaugurated The Urban Learning Internship Programme (TULIP) to provide internship opportunities to thousands of fresh graduates and engineers of the county under the ‘Smart City’ projects.
- The TULIP portal has been developed by AICTE. Under the internship programme students will get to work for 100 smart cities under ministry of housing and urban development.
- According to the TULIP portal, there are a total of 295,200 internships under 23,970 companies
Chhattisgarh govt launches ‘Spandan Campaign’ to check suicide and fratricide
The Chhattisgarh government launched the Spandan Campaign to contain incidents of suicide and fratricide involving police personnel, and instructions were issued to senior officers to strictly adhere to guidelines in this regard
- All superintendents of police will start a parade at police lines in their districts every Friday, keeping in mind social distancing, and grievances of personnel will be redressed after the event.
- A mobile application is also being prepared for monitoring the problems of police personnel.
Global Vaccine Summit 2020 hosted virtually by UK
Virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020 was hosted by the UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson urging countries and organizations to pledge funding for vaccinations to save millions of lives. India was represented by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the summit.
- The virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020 featured the participation of over 50 countries including the business leaders, civil society, government ministers, UN agencies, Heads of State and country leaders.
- During the virtual summit, India pledged a contribution of 15 Million US Dollars to Gavi, the international vaccine alliance.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI creates Payments Infrastructure Development Fund to boost digitisation
In an effort to give a push to digital payments across the country, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said they are setting up a Payment Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF) of Rs 500 crore.
- The RBI has made an initial contribution of Rs 250 crore covering half the fund. The remaining will come from the card issuing banks and card networks operating in the country.
- This fund has been created to encourage acquirers to deploy point of sale (PoS) infrastructure, both physical and digital, in tier-3 to tier-6 centres and north eastern states.
- This is in line with the measures proposed by the vision document on payment and settlement systems in India 2019-2021.
SBI creates separate vertical to drive MSME, agri finance
In a major restructuring exercise, State Bank of India has created a separate Financial Inclusion and Micro Market (FI&MM) vertical with a focus on rural and semi urban areas to improve customer experience.
- Under this newly launched vertical, the bank will offer loans mainly for agriculture as well as allied activities, and micro and small enterprises.
IndusInd Bank launches India’s 1st mobile app-based facility for opening current accounts
IndusInd Bank announced the launch of a first-of-its-kind assisted mobile application based facility, that enables the bank to open current accounts for self-employed individuals and businesses digitally, in just a few hours.
- The bank mentioned that the officials can now capture and verify information about customers and their businesses in real-time, at the premise of the customer in a convenient and secure manner.
- The app uses multiple ‘Application Programme Interface’ (APIs) which enables secured validation of KYC documents from authorised government platforms
MasterCard, Axis Bank and Worldline launch Soft POS
Mastercard, Axis Bank and Worldline launched Soft POS to become the first financial payments service in India to transform everyday smartphones into merchant Point of Sale terminals. The solution comes with various features for the merchant community.
- The merchant community can start using Soft POS almost instantly as the online registration process with the acquiring bank takes less than 30 minutes.
- The white label solution is available to all banks and payment aggregators in the industry.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CCI approves Peugeot and Fiat Chrysler merger
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the proposed merger between Peugeot S.A. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V
- Peugeot S.A (PSA) is a publicly listed limited liability company incorporated in France.
- Headquartered in London, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (FCA) is a public company with limited liability. FCA is a global automotive group.
Rajeev Topno appointed Senior Advisor to World Bank Executive Director
Senior bureaucrat Rajeev Topno has been appointed as the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director (ED) of World Bank, in Washington DC for a period of three years.
- He was presently serving as the Private Secretary to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi since 2014.
- He is a 1996 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
Former Miss India Manushi Chhillar roped in by Adidas as brand ambassador; joins the ranks of Rohit, Hima Das
Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar joined the roster of brand ambassadors such as Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma, actor Ranveer Singh and sprinter Hima Das for sportswear brand Adidas.
- The beauty pageant winner will work in support of the footwear giant’s app-based fitness challenge where guided workout hours logged in are converted into monetary proceeds for frontline workers amid the Covid-19 pandemic
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
J&K Lt Gov launches MeraVetan App to provide salary related information to employees
Lieutenant Governor, Girish Chandra Murmu launched JK Employees Salary Tracker Mobile App- ‘MeraVetan’ (Version-1) at Raj Bhavan.
- The MeraVetan application is aimed to provide Salary Related information to Employees.
- With the launch of MeraVetan App (V-1), the employees especially posted in remote & rural areas who don’t have access to the DDO will easily access their salary and other details anytime.
DRDO develops device to keep PPE wearers comfortable
The Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a device — SUMERU-PACS — that helps wearers of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) comfortable without sweating.
- The DRDO officials found out, on the basis of the feedback received from doctors and medical staff, that the PPE wearers feel uncomfortable after wearing PPE for more than 30 to 45 minutes and start sweating which makes the situation worse.
- After receiving the feedback, DRDO developed a personal air circulation system which can be used inside the PPE as a small backpack of approximately 500 grams weight which works well at an ambient temperature of 39 degrees Celsius and keeps wearer comfortable and cool without sweating.
Former Pakistan first-class cricketer Riaz Sheikh passes away
Former Pakistan first-class cricketer Riaz Sheikh became the second professional player in the country to die because of suspected conronavirus.
- Sheikh, 51, a leg-spinner who took 116 wickets in 43 first-class matches and was at one time considered for national selection.
- He was a popular figure in Pakistan’s domestic circuit, was a coach at the Moin Khan Academy.Ex-Pakistan
Legendary Filmmaker Basu Chatterjee passes away
Filmmaker-screenwriter Basu Chatterjee, best known for directing films like Choti Si Baat, Rajnigandha, Baaton Baaton Mein, Ek Ruka Hua Faisla and Chameli Ki Shaadi among more, passed away in Mumbai, following age-related ailments. He was 93.
- Chatterjee worked in Hindi as well as Bengali cinema. His films, which were considered to be more realistic, stood out as the 70s was the era of the ‘angry young man’ and action movies.
- In 1992, he was awarded National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare for his film Durga.
Veteran lyricist Anwar Sagar passes away
Veteran lyricist and member of Indian Performing Right Society Limited (IPRS), Anwar Sagar breathed his last at Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital . He was 70.
- Anwar Sagar wrote many songs in Bollywood films of the eighties and the nineties.
- The lyricist also has to his credit films like Yaarana, Salaami, Aa Gale Lag Jaa and Vijaypath among more. Anwar Sagar also worked with music directors like Nadeem-Shravan, Rajesh Roshan, Jatin-Lalit and Anu Malik.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
The Dry Fasting Miracle From Deprive to Thrive: Book by Luke Coutinho
Joining the bandwagon of books on beauty and healthy living is best selling Indian author and renowned personal lifestyle coach, Luke Coutinho”s new book, “The Dry Fasting Miracle: From Deprive to Thrive” released recently.
- Co-authored by Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Ali Bin Rashed Al Nuami, a member of the Ajman royal family in the UAE, the book will be published under the Ebury Press imprint of Penguin Random House.
- In the book, the authors look back at traditional eating practices to explain why the dry fasting diet is the “most superior form of fasting and cleansing”
World Environment Day
World Environment Day is the most renowned day for environmental action. Since 1974, it has been celebrated every year on 5 June.
- The theme of World Environment 2020 is ‘celebrating biodiversity’ — a concern that is both urgent and existential.