Daily Current Affairs 5 June 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union Minister Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Scheme “SHRESHTA”
Union Minister of social Justice and empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Scheme “SHRESHTA”-Scheme for residential education for students in High school in Targeted Areas.
- The Scheme for Residential Education for Students in Targeted Areas (SHRESHTA) has been formulated with the objective to provide quality education and opportunities for even the poorest Scheduled Caste students, as per the Constitutional mandate. The students from the Scheduled Caste communities, for long been subjects to inequality, were kept out of quality education and a situation that perpetuates the disadvantages carried forward for generations of lack of adequate education.
Country’s first Liquid Mirror Telescope comes up in Uttarakhand
The first liquid mirror telescope in the country and the largest in Asia – commissioned atop Devasthal, a hill in Uttarakhand – will now keep a watch on the overhead sky to identify transient or variable objects such as supernovae, gravitational lenses, space debris, and asteroids.
- The Indian Liquid Mirror Telescope (ILMT) will help in surveying the sky, making it possible to observe several galaxies and other astronomical sources just by staring at the strip of sky that passes overhead.
- Built by astronomers from India, Belgium and Canada, the novel instrument employs a 4-meter-diameter rotating mirror made up of a thin film of liquid mercury to collect and focus light.
- It is located at an altitude of 2,450 metres at the Devasthal Observatory campus of Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India in Nainital district, Uttarakhand.
India’s first private spacecraft manufacturing facility launched in Bengaluru
Ananth Technologies Private Limited opened India’s largest private spacecraft manufacturing facility in Bengaluru. In terms of infrastructure, the launch will make private spacecraft manufacturing in India easier.
- S Somanath, chairman of the ISRO, officially opened the spacecraft production facility. With four independent modules existing within the 15,000 sqm facility, four enormous spacecraft can be assembled, integrated and tested at the same time.
- The facility is located at the Aerospace Park of the Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board.
Delhi to rename streets and colonies with ‘Harijan’ in their names after Ambedkar
Delhi’s Aam Aadmi Party government is planning to rename streets and colonies in the city with the word “Harijan” in their names after BR Ambedkar.
- The proposal has come in the wake of the central government’s guideline advising against the use of the word “Harijan”, considered derogatory by scheduled caste communities.
Cyclone Yaas makes landfall over Odisha, West Bengal coasts
Very severe cyclonic storm, Yaas made landfall over Odisha-West Bengal coasts. During landfall, its wind speed was 130 to 140 kmph gusting to 155 kmh, lower than earlier expected.
- The major impact of the cyclonic system is expected across the north-eastern coastal districts of India. Odisha is anticipated to bear the maximum brunt of wind and rainfall with some impact on West Bengal, primarily driven by surge and rainfall-induced floods, particularly in the coastal districts.
Instagram to help find missing children with AMBER alerts
Meta announced that AMBER alerts will soon be rolled out to Instagram in 25 countries. With AMBER alerts users in these regions will soon get notifications of missing children in the area. The feature was already present on Facebook, and Meta said that it has helped find hundreds of children since it was introduced in 2015.
- AMBER alerts for Instagram was developed in partnership with various organisations like the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) in the United States and the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC ties up with Accenture for digital transformation
HDFC, the housing finance major has collaborated with Accenture to digitally transform its lending business. The transformation exercise is aimed at making HDFC’s lending lifecycle paper-less and nimble.
- The collaboration will revamp HDFC’s customer experience and business processes to provide greater operational agility and efficiency, and drive business growth.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TN signs MoU with IPPB for pensioners’ digital life certificate
The Tamil Nadu government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) for obtaining life certificate from pensioners through doorstep services of the Postal Department.
- As per the agreement, the IPPB would render the doorstep services at a cost of ₹70 per digital life certificate, an official release said. Over 7.15 lakh State government pensioners/ family pensioners submit their life certificate during July, August and September every year for annual mustering.
CarTrade Tech partners with IDFC First Bank to offer financing solutions for used-cars
Multi-channel automobile buying and selling platform CarTrade Tech Ltd has entered into an alliance with IDFC First Bank to offer easy and smart financing for used cars.
- Under the partnership, IDFC First Bank will become the preferred financier for customers purchasing used vehicles from CarWale abSure’s dealers with customised offerings to suit their needs, the company said in a statement.
- CarWale abSure is the used car platform of CarTrade Tech.
Rajesh Gera appointed National Informatics Centre DG
Senior scientist Rajesh Gera has been appointed as the Director General, National Informatics Centre (NIC). Gera is currently Deputy Director General in the NIC.
- The NIC, under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), was established in 1976 with the objective to provide technology-driven solutions to central and state governments.