Daily Current Affairs 5 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Ministry of Defence approved Indian Navy’s Rs 3,600 crore deal for 10 ‘Kamov Ka-31’ Helicopters
Defence ministry has approved the procurement of 10 Kamov Ka-31 Airborne Early Warning and Control helicopters for the Indian Navy. The cost of the deal would be around Rs 3,600 crore and the 10 helicopters would be deployed on the aircraft carriers and warships of the Navy including the INS Vikrant and Grigorovich-class frigates.
- The aim of the choppers is to sanitise the air space around the battle groups led by the aircraft carriers while carrying out operations in the sea or anti-submarine warfare operations.
Paytm president Bhushan Patil quits
Bhushan Patil, president at Paytm, has quit the company. Patil, who joined Paytm after a five year stint with Alibaba, had initially joined the Noida-based company to look after its cross border commerce business.
- With Paytm focusing on its domestic commerce business, he was one of the key executives for Paytm Mall. Patil joined Paytm in March 2016.
ONGC gets green nod for Rs 240cr project in Assam
State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has received the green nod to drill 6 development wells in Assam at an estimated cost of Rs 240 crore. The Union Environment Ministry has given the environment clearance for six development wells in five mining lease blocks in Jorhat and Golghat districts.
- The company had sought permission for drilling 12 development wells but it received clearance for six wells at present. The total mining lease area of Jorhat and Golaghat districts is 32.116 sq km and 120.5 sq km, respectively.
- Extra info.:
ONGC Headquarters: Vasant Kunj, Delhi
ISRO : Chandrayaan-2 to be launch between July 9-16
All the modules are getting ready for Chandrayaan-2 launch during the window of July 9 to July 16, 2019, with an expected Moon landing on September 6, 2019. India’s second lunar mission, Chandrayaan-2, has three modules namely Orbiter, Lander (Vikram) & Rover (Pragyan).
- The Orbiter and Lander modules will be interfaced mechanically and stacked together as an integrated module and accommodated inside the GSLV MK-III launch vehicle.
Thai King coronated after 2 years
Thai King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun was finally coronated recently after ascending the throne two years ago, in a $31 million three-day celebration that comes almost 69 years since the last coronation.
- The coronation took place at the Chakrabat Biman Royal Residence at the Grand Palace in Bangkok. The ceremonies ended with the King sitting beneath a nine-tiered umbrella which means that he has now officially succeeded his late father Bhumibol Adulyadej also known as Rama IX as the King of Thailand.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s MICE tourism growing at 8 pc a year: FICCI-Yes Bank report
A new report by industry body FICCI says that strong economic growth coupled with rapid emergence of India on the global horizon is poised to drive the growth of MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) tourism at a much faster rate.
- In 2018, MICE tourism in India was pegged at Rs 25,000 crore with 8 per cent growth year-on-year, said the report titled ‘India Inbound Tourism: Unlocking the Opportunity’.
According to ADB’s report, Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow 5.7% in 2019
The Asia-Pacific region is expected to power ahead growing at 5.7% this year but escalating trade tensions are a source of worry, according to Takehiko Nakao, President and Chairperson, Asian Development Bank.
- Addressing the opening session of the Board of Governors at ADB’s 52nd Annual Meeting in Nadi, Fiji. Mr. Nakao said that consumer and investor behaviour could be undermined by trade tensions between countries.
Saurav Ghoshal & Joshna Chinappa win Asian Individual Squash Ch’ship titles
Ace Indian squash players Saurav Ghoshal and Joshna Chinappa won their respective Asian Individual Squash Championship titles in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Saurav Ghoshal defeated Leo Au Chun Ming of Hong Kong.
- Ghoshal who had become the first Indian male player to reach top ten of the world rankings is the finalist of the previous edition.
Article on coalgate wins ACJ Award for Investigative Journalism
The article titled ‘Coalgate 2.0’ authored by Nileena M S and published in The Caravan magazine in March last year has won the ACJ Award for Investigative Journalism, 2018.
- The final jury comprising Gopalkrishna Gandhi, Nilita Vachani and Dr A R Venkatachalapathy unanimously decided on Nileena’s work as the winner.
J&K: BJP District Vice President for South Kashmir’s Anantnag shot dead
In Jammu & Kashmir, terrorists shot dead a BJP functionary in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district. Unidentified gunmen suspected to be terrorists shot and injured a BJP worker at Nowgam Verinag area of Anantnag district.
- The injured person Ghulam Mohammad Mir was a 60 year old working as BJP’s district vice president for Anantnag district.