Daily Current Affairs 5 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Dharmendra Pradhan launches customer outreach initiative of banks in Bhubaneswar
Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan launched a customer outreach initiative, ‘Grahak Mela Camp’ by various national banks in Bhubaneswar.
- Pradhan said that Self Help Groups (SHGs) can avail loans of Rs 50,000 within 30 seconds and bank customers can get loans of up to Rs 1 crore within 59 minutes from these centres.
Health Minister Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Trans-Fat Free’ logo
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan launched the “Trans-Fat Free” logo during the 8th International Chefs Conference in New Delhi. The campaign to end trans-fat is seen as one of the important steps to accelerate the ‘Eat Right India’ campaign led by the FSSAI under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- “The FSSAI is committed to reducing trans-fatty acids produced in industries by 2 per cent in a phased manner by 2022 and has launched ‘India @ 75,” he added.
HP Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched the Pragati Rath of the HDFC bank
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched the Pragati Rath of the HDFC bank. Pragati Rath will provide financial and digital literacy to the people during a month-long initiative by moving to different parts of Himachal Pradesh.
Andhra Pradesh: CM Reddy launches YSR Vahana Mitra scheme
Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the YSR Vahana Mitra scheme which provides Rs 10,000 allowance to self-employed drivers of autos, taxis and maxi cabs.
Kejriwal launches campaign to make Delhi pothole-free
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched a campaign to make Delhi pothole-free which will be undertaken by the Public Works Department under his government.
- The Delhi government has also prepared a software which will have important data related to the roads in the city. The repair work will then make use of this database.
India-Bangladesh Business Forum held in New Delhi
The India-Bangladesh Business Forum was held in New Delhi presence of Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Union Minister for Commerce and Industries, Piyush Goyal.
India ranked 4th in GFP Index 2019
In the Global Firepower Index (GFP) /Military Strength Ranking 2019 of the Global Firepower which ranks each nation’s potential war-making capability across land, sea and air with conventional weapons, India was ranked 4th with the PowerIndex (PwrIndx) score of 0.1065 and in South Asia, it stood at the No 1 position.
- Globally, the list was topped by the United States.
Indo-Mongolian Joint Exercise Nomadic Elephant 2019
14th edition of Indo – Mongolian joint military training, Exercise Nomadic Elephant-XIV has commenced at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh.
- Nomadic Elephant-XIV is aimed at training troops in counter insurgency &counter terrorism operations under United Nations mandate. The Joint Exercise will enhance defence co-operation and military relations between the two nations.
Singapore tops new ‘citizen-centric’ global smart city index
Out of 102 cities in the world, Singapore is officially ranked the smartest city in 2019 by the very-first edition of the IMD Smart City Index 2019 (SCI).
- The SCI is presented by the IMD World Competitiveness Center’s Smart City Observatory in partnership with Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
- The Smart City Index assesses a city’s efforts and success in embracing smart technologies to improve the lives of their citizens
- Among India cities, Hyderabad has topped the ranking and has been positioned at 67.
BANKING & FINANCE
UCO Bank launches UCash, Digilocker and an App
UCO Bank has launched three new digital products called, UCash, Digilocker and an app in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- UCash enables customers to withdraw money from ATMs through mobile banking without using a debit card. Digilocker aims to eliminate the use of physical documents and enables sharing of verified electronic documents. The third product, the new mobile app, integrates four existing apps of the bank – UCO Mbanking, UCO UPI, UCO Mpassbook and UCO Secure- in a single interface.
ICICI Bank partners CSC e-Governance Services India to expand rural reach
ICICI Bank has signed a pact with CSC e-Governance Services India to extend its banking and other services to the country’s rural regions. ICICI Bank will engage more than 3 lakh CSCs (common service centres) working at the last mile as banking correspondents
InstantPay granted Corporate Agency license by IRDA
InstantPay, India’s largest Inclusive and Neo Banking platform, announced that it has received the Corporate Agency license from Insurance Regulatory Development Authority (IRDA).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NHA, Google sign SoI to strengthen implementation of Ayushman Bharat scheme
The National Health Authority (NHA), the apex body responsible for implementing the Ayushman Bharat health insurance scheme, has signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) with Google to collaborate and strengthen the implementation of the programme.
- The two organisations will be working closely to explore various use cases for increasing process efficiencies in day-to-day applications.
- Google will also support the NHA in improving Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana’s digital presence and showcasing relevant content to 50 crore entitled beneficiaries.
Vaibhav Gehlot elected as president of Rajasthan Cricket Association
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot’s son, Vaibhav Gehlot, has been elected as the president of Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA).
Vijay Patil elected President of Mumbai Cricket Association
Vijay Patil has been elected the president of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), while Sanjay Naik and Amol Kale were elected as secretary and vice-president respectively. Vijay Patil is the son of former Governor of Bihar Dr DY Patil.
Ben Stokes named PCA player of the year
England all-rounder Ben Stokes has been voted Professional Cricketers’ Association player of the year at the Professional Cricketers’ Association awards.
Super 30’s Anand Kumar to receive prestigious Mahaveer Award-2019
Anand Kumar of Super 30 will be given the prestigious Mahaveer Award-2019 instituted by Bhagwan Mahaveer Foundation for his contributions in the field of education.
- He teaches 30 educationally bright yet underprivileged students into his coaching program each year – free of cost – giving them a shot at the prestigious, highly competitive, and daunting entry exam for the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
Bhumi Pednekar earns Face of Asia honour at Busan International Film Festival
Bhumi Pednekar has bagged the Face of Asia award at the Busan International Film Festival in Busan, South Korea.
Prominent Indian-origin journalist dies in South Africa
Farook Khan, an Indian-origin journalist in South Africa passed away. He hailed from Maharashtra. He had started the Miss India South Africa Pageant as part of the Miss India Worldwide Pageant.
Centenarian philatelist Krishna Kadekodi passes away
Centenarian philatelist and coin collector Krishna Gopalkrishna Kadekodi has passed away. He was 102.
Bangladesh: Buddhist leader Satyapriya Mohathero passes away
The second highest Buddhist leader of Bangladesh and head of Sima Bihar of Ramu, Satyapriya Mohathero passed away in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
World Teachers’ Day
World Teachers’ Day or International Teachers’ Days is celebrated on October 5 with the aim to acknowledge the significant role of educators across the world. It commemorates the anniversary of the adoption of UNESCO’s 1966 recommendation concerning the status of teachers.
- This year’s theme is ‘Young Teachers: The future of the Profession’.