Daily Current Affairs 6 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre approves Rs 2900 crore to make cities safer for women
Women and Child Development Ministry has approved projects worth over Rs 2,900 crore under the Nirbhaya fund for eight major cities to make them safer for women.
- These cities are Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Lucknow.
Vietnam President Tran Dai Quang arrives in Delhi on three-day India visit
Vietnam President Tran Dai Quang arrived on a three-day visit to India at the invitation of his Indian counterpart Ram Nath Kovind. Vietnam is an important partner in southeast Asia and is currently the country coordinator for India with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) regional bloc, a role that will be handed over to Thailand later this year.
Over Rs. 5600 crore sanctioned under Swadesh Darshan Scheme by Tourism Ministry
A total amount of Rs. 5638.87 crore was sanctioned with release of Rs. 2148.17 crore since 2014-15 till date under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism. Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, thirteen thematic circuits have been identified, for development namely: North-East India Circuit, Buddhist Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
- Meanwhile, under the PRASHAD scheme, 23 projects have been sanctioned to 15 States for a total amount of Rs.687.92 crore with release of Rs.241.28 crore since 2015-16 till date. The objective of the ‘National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) is of holistic development of identified pilgrimage and heritage destination.
India’s first helicopter taxi service launched in Bengaluru
India’s first helicopter taxi service was launched in Bengaluru to fly passengers from Kempegowda International Airport to Electronic City. The service is expected to reduce the time taken to cover the distance from 2 hours to 15 minutes. The helicopter will seat up to six people apart from the pilot and the service will cost ₹3,500 plus GST.
Itanagar celebrates Silver Jubilee of Losar festival
The Buddhist Community of Itanagar celebrated the silver jubilee of the Losar Festival at the Nyokum Lapang Ground here.
- The three-day festival, organized by the Itanagar Buddhist Cultural Society (IBCS) was celebrated from March 2 to March 4 with a lot of enthusiasm and traditional zeal.
Global Firepower ranks India’s military as fourth strongest, Pakistan on 13th
Out of 133 countries, India is ranked fourth on a global index for its military strength, only the United States, Russia and China are ranked above India on the list. Meanwhile, neighbouring Pakistan is ranked 13th on the Global Firepower index 2017.
- Other global powers – United Kingdom, Japan, Turkey, Germany and Egypt make the top ten list.
BANKING & FINANCE
Citi India launches home loans linked to T-Bill
Citi India has launched India’s first home loan linked to the 3-month Government of India Treasury Bill benchmark rate.
- This will give home buyers the opportunity to take part in a floating rate benchmarked to a publicly available external reference rate, which is driven by market forces, and in line with international markets such as the US, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Indian economy to recover gradually to 7.1% in FY2019
According to a report by Kotak Economic Research, the Indian economy is likely to recover gradually to 7.1 per cent in 2018-19 financial year as GST related disruptions have smoothened and consumption levels have improved.
Crisil pegs GDP growth at 7.5% this fiscal
The GDP growth is seen rising to a respectable 7.5 per cent next fiscal from 6.5 per cent expected this fiscal, propelled by domestic consumption, policy push, and synchronised global growth, according to Crisil.
Paytm unveils ‘Paytm for Business’ mobile app for TN
Mobile wallet company Paytm has come out with a business application aimed at serving merchants in Tamil Nadu who can track payments, navigate past collections and can also make settlements instantly.
- The ‘Paytm for Business’ app, available on Android Play Store, for merchants and business partners who accept Paytm at their offline stores in the state.
Manu Bhaker shoots gold in Women’s 10m Air Pistol,ISSF World Cup
Manu Bhaker, who recently earned a quota place for the Beunos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games scheduled for October, won a sensational gold in the Women’s 10m Air Pistol, to put India firmly on top of the medals tally in the year’s first International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup stage in Mexico’s Guadalajara.
Neiphiu Rio appointed Nagaland CM
Nagaland Governor PB Acharya has appointed Neiphiu Rio as the Chief Minister of the state. He will replace TR Zeliang.
Biplab Deb to be new Chief Minister of Tripura
Biplab Kumar Deb will be the new Chief Minister of Tripura. He will replace Manik Sarkar.
Sandeep Bakhshi gets 2-yr extension as MD of ICICI Prudential Life
Sandeep Bakhshi managing director and chief executive officer ICICI Prudential Life Insurance was re-appointed with effect from June 1, 2018 for a term of two years till May 31, 2020.
Armen Sarkisian elected next Armenian president
Armenia’s parliament on March 2 elected Armen Sarkisian as the country’s next president. Sarkisian succeeds Serzh Sarkisian, who opposition leaders say could now become prime minister and continue to wield power.
Oscar Awards 2018
The 90th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 2017 and took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Best Picture – “The Shape of Water”
- Best Director – Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
- Best Actor – Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
- Best Actress – Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Best Supporting Actor – Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Best Supporting Actress – Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
- Best Original Screenplay – “Get Out”
- Best Adapted Screenplay – “Call Me by Your Name”
- Best Foreign Language Film – “A Fantastic Woman” (Chile)
- Best Animated Feature – “Coco”
- Best Visual Effects – “Blade Runner 2049”
- Best Film Editing – “Dunkirk”
- Best Animated Short – “Dear Basketball”
- Best Live Action Short – “The Silent Child”
- Best Documentary Short – “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
- Best Score – “The Shape of Water”
- Best Song – “Remember Me” from “Coco”
- Best Production Design – “The Shape of Water”
- Best Cinematography – “Blade Runner 2049”
- Best Costume Design – “Phantom Thread”
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling – “Darkest Hour”
- Best Documentary Feature – “Icarus”
- Best Sound Editing – “Dunkirk”
- Best Sound Mixing – “Dunkirk”
- Iconic Bollywood actors Shashi Kapoor and Sridevi were honoured at the 90th Academy Awards ceremony during the ‘In Memoriam’ montage which pays tribute to those the film industry has lost in the past year.
- Filmmaker James Ivory, who once worked closely with late Indian star Shashi Kapoor, became the oldest Oscar winner at 89 for his adapted screenplay for “Call Me By Your Name”.
Veteran Bollywood actor Shammi passes away
Veteran Bollywood actor Shammi has passed away after prolonged illness. She was 89. Fondly addressed as ‘Shammi aunty’ by Bollywood celebrities, Shammi, whose real name is Nargis Rabadi, started her film career with Malhar as a leading lady and later on moved to the comic genre.
Odia actor Sarat Mohanty passes away
Veteran Odia film actor Sarat Mohanty has passed away following prolonged illness. The comedian, a native of Khirkona, had acted in a number of Odia films.