Daily Current Affairs 6 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India successfully test-fires nuclear capable Agni-1 missile
India successfully test-fired its short-range nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-1 with a strike range of over 700 km from a test range off the Odisha coast.
- It was launched as a part of a periodic training activity by the Strategic Forces Command of the Army to consolidate operational readiness.
- Weighing around 12 tonnes, the 15-metre-long Agni-I can carry payloads up to 1,000 kg and is capable of hitting a target beyond 700 km. The missile is also capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
Govt launches Start-up-India ranking framework
The government launched the Start-up-India ranking framework to help the Startup India initiative to drive economic growth of the country.
- Three new tools, namely the State and Union Territory Startup Ranking Framework, the Compendium of Good Practices for Promoting Startups in India and the Startup India Kit were launched by Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- The key objective of the Startup States and Union Territories ranking framework is to encourage States and Union Territories to take pro-active steps towards strengthening the Startup ecosystems at the local level.
Centre releases ₹65,000 cr under SC special assistance plan
The Centre has released ₹65,000 crore to States and union territories under the special assistance to scheduled castes sub plan till January end of the current fiscal.
- The amount is more than 80 per cent of the total allocation of ₹80,000 crore made under the Special Central Assistance to SC Sub Plan for 2017-18.
- The money is released to States and union territories subject to certain conditions, including that of submission of utilisation certificates.
Uber, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways join hands for road safety awareness
Taxi aggregator Uber reinforced its commitment to road safety by announcing a slew of measures and initiatives.
- As part of its ongoing efforts to encourage road safety awareness, Uber will be jointly promoting road safety messaging on the Uber app and social media through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways co branded materials and mediums.
Haryana Govt launches ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ to support farmers
The Haryana government has launched the ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ to provide for the sale of organic manure and cow urine with an aim to benefit farmers.
- A provision of Rs 11 crore has been made to provide benefits of various projects under this scheme.
Mumbai airport becomes world’s busiest single-runway airport
On January 20, Mumbai airport (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport) created a new world record for single-runway operations by handling 980 arrivals and take-offs in 24 hours, or almost one flight every minute!
- With this, the airport has become the world’s busiest single-runway airport.
Dubai retains rank as world’s busiest international airport
Dubai International, DXB, has retained its position as the world’s number one airport for international passengers for the fourth consecutive year with annual traffic for 2017 reaching 88.2 million passengers.
Google India, NCERT bring ‘Digital Citizenship’ lessons to schools
Reiterating its commitment to make the web a safer place for everyone, Google India announced its collaboration with NCERT to integrate a course on “Digital Citizenship and Safety” in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) curriculum in schools.
- Students from class I to class XII across 1.4 million schools in India would now learn how to become good and responsible digital citizens, through structured classroom modules on the social, ethical and legal aspects of Internet safety.
- In addition, Google has also created a curriculum for teachers so that they can help students learn all about digital citizenship in their classrooms.
First ever chat based job search app ‘Empzilla’ launched
Taking prime minister Narendra Modi’s Digital India initiative forward, a chat based job search mobile app ‘Empzilla’, first ever of its kind in the country, is being launched that will do away with existing limitations of employers and job seekers making selection process quick and cost effective.
- The mobile app gets conversation between employers and job seekers going in seconds and the latter can chat with the potential employer even within his office set up without letting his peers and seniors know the context of the conversation.
MobiKwik launches ‘Magic’ SaaS-based digital enterprise solutions suite
MobiKwik, a issuer-independent digital financial services platform and mobile wallet announced the launch of Magic – a digital platform for end-to-end corporate processes, rewards and reimbursements.
- Magic is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)-based institutional platform that aims to radically reform the employee benefit and reimbursements process by eliminating the constant challenges faced by both the employer and the employee.
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant granted extension till June 2019
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant has been granted an extension of his tenure until June 30, 2019. A 1980-batch IAS officer from the Kerala Cadre, Kant was appointed as the CEO of the government’s think tank in 2016, for a two-year term.