Daily Current Affairs 6 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
AP Govt made history with ‘Intivadhakey Pension’ scheme by covering 94 % within few days
The Andhra Pradesh Government has started door-delivery of pension scheme’Intivadhakey Pension to the beneficiaries.This is the first of its kind in India.
- The scheme has covered 94 per cent of about 60 lakh pensioners within a few days.
SC directs States to notify setting up ‘Gram Nyayalayas’ within 4 weeks
The Supreme Court has directed the states, which are yet come out with notifications for establishing ‘Gram Nyayalayas’, to do so within four weeks, and asked the high courts to expedite the process of consultation with state governments on this issue.
- The ruling was delivered by an SC bench headed by Justice N V Ramana.
Greenbone Sustainable Resilience data: Maharashtra tops States hit by global medical data leak
Medical details of over 120 million Indian patients have been leaked and made freely available on the Internet, according to a recent report published by Greenbone Sustainable Resilience, a German cybersecurity firm.
- The updated report places Maharashtra at the top of the States affected by the leak followed by Karnataka.
- The follow-up report, which was published in November, classifies countries in the “good”, “bad” and “ugly” categories based on the action taken by their governments after the first report was made public. India ranks second in the “ugly” category, after the U.S
Karnataka CM launches Janasevaka Scheme to Provide delivery of Govt Services at Doorstep
Karnataka CM B S Yediyurappa launched the Janasevaka scheme in a few municipal corporation wards to ensure home delivery of various services like ration cards, senior citizen identity and health cards.
- The scheme will pertain to 53 services involving 11 departments.
Union Cabinet clears the setting up of Major Port at Vadhavan
The government on Wednesday approved setting up a new major port at Vadhavan near Dahanu in Maharashtra at a cost of ₹65,544.54 crore.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
5 IIITs to get the status of Institution of National Importance
The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) Law (Amendment) Bill, 2020, is approved the cabinet chaired by Prime Minister. According to the official statement, the five IIITs declared as the ‘Institutes of National Importance’ with powers to award degrees will develop a strong research base in the country in the field of information technology by attracting more students.
- The five Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) in PPP mode will be able to use the nomenclature of Bachelor of Technology (BTech) or Master of Technology (MTech) or PhD degree. These five IIITs at Surat, Bhopal, Bhagalpur, Agartala, and Raichur have got approval from the Union Cabinet to confer the status of Institution of National Importance (INI).
Union Cabinet clears the setting up of Major Port at Vadhavan
The Union Cabinet o approved a proposal to set up a major port at Vadhavan near Dahanu in Maharashtra with a total cost of ₹65,545 crore, including about ₹14,500 crore of GST. This is part of the government’s plan to develop infrastructure projects with a cost of ₹100-lakh crore over the next five years.
- The Cabinet also approved bringing amendments in the Banking Regulation Act to put certain co-operative banks under the regulatory ambit of the Reserve Bank of India.
- The Union Cabinet also gave its nod for setting up ‘Shri Ram Janma Bhoomi Tirtha Kshetra’ trust to oversee the construction of a Ram Temple in Ayodhya as ordered by the Supreme Court
One in 10 Indians to have cancer in their lifetime: WHO report
India had an estimated 1.16 million new cancer cases in 2018, according to a report by the World Health Organization (WHO), which said that one in 10 Indians will develop cancer during their lifetime and one in 15 will die of the disease.
- The six most common cancer types are breast, oral, cervical, lung, stomach, and colo-rectal cancer. Together, these accounted for almost half (49%) of all new cancer cases.
- WHO warned that global cancer rates could rise by 60 per cent over the next 20 years unless cancer care is ramped up in low and middle-income countries.
UAE discovers new natural ‘Jebel Ali gas field’ between Abu Dhabi, Dubai
The United Arab Emirates announced the discovery of a natural gas field containing 80 trillion standard cubic feet of gas between Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
- The discovery was made public during the signing of a strategic agreement between Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and Dubai Supply Authority (DUSUP) related to exploration and development of shallow gas resources in a joint project dubbed ‘Jebel Ali’.
Switzerland is named the world’s most expensive country to live in, India ranked 130, India 3rd cheapest, Pakistan cheapest
The CEOWORLD business magazine report says, Switzerland has been named the world’s most expensive country, with Norway second and Iceland third.
- India was cheaper still, coming in 130th – ahead of only Afghanistan and Pakistan out of the 132 countries surveyed.
- Pakistan was listed as the cheapest of the 132 nations, mainly because of its very cheap rent score
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI hikes Insurance cover on bank deposits to Rs 5 lakh from Rs 1 lakh
Insurance cover on bank deposits has been increased to Rs 5 lakh from Rs 1 lakh effective announced by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The cover is provided by the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI.
Digital transactions through IMPS, UPI and BHIM at record high in January 2020
According to National Payments Corporation of India.(NPCI) data, IMPS, UPI and the BHIM app are registering new records in the amount of cash transacted last month. Barring UPI, the number of transactions on IMPS and BHIM platforms also registered all-time record in January.
- The Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) registered a record in both volume and amount of funds transacted last month. With 567 member banks, as many as 25.95 crore transactions, totalling ₹2.16-lakh crore, took place on the IMPS platform in January
- Similarly, in the case of Unified Payments Interface (UPI), though the number of transactions fell marginally in January to 130.5 crore, the total amount transacted was at an all-time high of ₹2.16-lakh crore.
- Transactions through the BHIM app were also robust and reached an all-time record in January. As many as 1.85 crore transactions worth ₹6,611.22 crore took place last month on the platform, compared to 1.78 crore transactions in December amounting to ₹6,316.37 crore
Reliance general insurance introduces comprehensive health insurance plan “Infinity”
Reliance General Insurance, a part of Reliance Capital, launched a comprehensive health insurance plan “Reliance Health Infinity”.
- This product is specially designed to focus and support the healthcare needs of retail customers with unique benefits.
RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 5.15 pc, projects FY21 GDP at 6 pc
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decided to keep its short-term lending rate unchanged at 5.15 per cent in the sixth bi-monthly policy review of current financial year 2019-20, the reverse repo rate stands unchanged at 4.9 per cent.
- Retail inflation measured by year-on-year changes in the consumer price index (CPI) surged from 4.6 per cent in October to 5.5 per cent in November and further to 7.4 per cent in December 2019
- Significantly, the RBI projected gross domestic product (GDP) growth for 2020-21 at 6 per cent –– in the range of 5.5 to 6 per cent in H1 and 6.2 per cent in Q3.
- The RBI has slashed interest rates by a cumulative 135 basis points this year to 5.15 per cent, making it the world’s most aggressively easing major central bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
World’s largest hub for collaborative robots opens in Denmark
Denmark’s Minister of Industry, Business and Financial Affairs, Simon Kollerup, unveiled the world’s largest hub for collaborative robots opens in Denmark. It will become the new home of Mobile Industrial Robots (MiR) and Universal Robots (UR), the two flagships in the thriving Danish robotics industry.
- The companies will share 334,000 square feet space in a new “cobot hub” in the city of Odense, the heart of Denmark’s rapidly expanding robotics cluster.
MSME implemented new scheme SFURTI to set up traditional industries clusters
Ministry of MSME is implementing a ‘Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries’ (SFURTI) Scheme under which financial support is being provided for setting up of traditional industries clusters viz. Khadi, Coir & Village industries clusters.
Weightlifter Sambo Lapung wins gold with national record of 188kg
Services lifter Sambo Lapung scripted a new National record of 188kg in clean and jerk on his way to take the gold medal in men’s 89kg in the National weightlifting championships at the Khudiram Anusilan Kendra
- Railways’ Rahul was second with 323kg, while Ram Karan Prajapati – another Services lifter representing Uttarakhand – got the third place with 314kg.
- In the women’s event, Rakhi Halder has won the gold medal in the 64kg event. She won the gold medal with a total of 210kg defeating her nearest competitor Harjinder Kaur
Former Karnataka Minister D. Manjunath passed away
Former Legislative Council Chairman D. Manjunath passed away. He was 92.
- Belonging to the Dalit community, Manjunath who joined the Janata Party in 1977, had served in different capacities including as Chairperson of Legislative Council and Minister in various governments
Former Assam Speaker and sitting MLA Pranab Kumar Gogoi passes away
Former Speaker of Assam Legislative Assembly Pranab Kumar Gogoi passed away in Guwahati. He was 84.
- Gogoi, the Congress veteran was first elected to the Assam assembly in 2001.He was elected to the Assam Assembly from Sivasagar assembly constituency for a consecutive fourth term.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Pop singer Lord J launches his Autobiography Book “Lord J: Lord of Anonymity”
Pop singer Lord J penned his Autobiography titled “Lord J: Lord of Anonymity”. It was launched recently which about his initial days of understanding the value of music, lyrics, concepts of videography and making music videos, and it also speaks about hardships that he faced on the transition of global pop singer, from dream to achieve it.
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation
Every year, February 6th marks the International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). The day aims to promote the eradication of female genital mutilation.
- International Day of Zero Tolerance 2020 theme was ‘Unleashing Youth Power’