Daily Current Affairs 6 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India extends USD 75 mn line of credit for solar parks in Cuba
India has extended a line of credit of USD 75 million (over Rs 500 crore) to Cuba for financing solar parks. An agreement was signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and Banco Exterior De Cuba.
Kolkata Police starts third edition of ‘Sukanya’ project
Kolkata Police started the third edition of its ‘Sukanya’ project to provide girls studying in schools and colleges in the city with self-defence training.
- Girl students of VIII, IX, XI and girls studying in the first year at educational institutions in this area will be part of it.
- Sukanya is an initiative of the Kolkata Police’s Community Policing Wing to provide self-defence training to girl students of city-based schools, colleges and universities.
Uttar Pradesh becomes 1st state to shortlist migrants for citizenship
Uttar Pradesh is all set to become the first state in the country to start the exercise of shortlisting migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, eligible for citizenship under the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
- The exercise will also identify those who are living illegally in the state.
One-fifth of India’s forests prone to fires
About 21.40% of forest cover in India is prone to fires according to a 2019 report by the Forest Survey of India (FSI). FSI carried out a study along forest fire points identified across the country from 2004 to 2017. Forests in the north-eastern region and central India was found to be the most vulnerable.
- The total number of alerts issued for each state from November 2018 to June 2019 were 29,547. Mizoram recorded the highest number of fire alerts at 2,795.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
PNB MetLife and RevFin in tie-up to offer life cover
India’s leading Digital lending startup, RevFin has joined hands with PNB MetLife India Insurance Company to offer protection to the RevFin’s customers by bundling life insurance cover on their loans. This insurance covers loans up to ₹3 lakh for a period of 3 years.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins gold in National Shooting Championship
Asian Games gold-medallist Saurabh Chaudhary won a gold medal in 10m air pistol/rifle event at the 63rd National Shooting Championship.
- He hails from Uttar Pradesh.
India’s 2007 T-20 WC star Irfan Pathan announces retirement
India’s 2007 T-20 World Cup hero, Irfan Pathan announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- Pathan played a clinical role in the final of the inaugural edition of the T20 World Cup against Pakistan in 2007. He picked up three wickets and returned with the figures of 3-16 in his four overs and was named as the player of the match.
- He is one of the three bowlers to have claimed a Test hat-trick for India and the first in the world to claim it in the first over of the match.
H.K. Joshi appointed as CMD of Shipping Corporation of India
Shipping Corporation of India has appointed Harjeet Kaur Joshi as the new Chairperson & Managing Director of the company. She will also hold the additional charge of the post of Director (Finance) of the company for a period of 3 months.
Karur Vysya Bank CEO, MD PR Seshadri resigns
Karur Vysya Bank’s chief executive officer (CEO) and managing director (MD) P R Seshadri has resigned, citing personal reasons. The bank has informed stock exchanges that Seshadri will continue to function till the end of this financial year 2019-20.
Dubai-based Indian girl Sucheta Satish, wins Global Child Prodigy Award 2020 for Twin World Records in Singing
Dubai-based Indian girl, Sucheta Satish, who can sing in 120 languages, has won in the ‘Global Child Prodigy Awards 2020’ in New Delhi.
- The 13-year-old Sucheta Satish was selected for the award for her twin world records, which included singing in most languages during one concert and the longest live singing concert by a child.
- She created the record at the age of 12, in Dubai during a concert at the Indian Consulate Auditorium when she sang in 102 languages over 6.15 hours.