Daily Current Affairs 6 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first highway corridors for e-vehicles expected by March 2020
India’s first highway corridors with charging stations for electric vehicles are expected to come up along the Delhi-Jaipur and Delhi-Agra highways by 2020.
- The combined stretch of the corridors on the Yamuna Expressway(between Delhi and Agra) and the National Highway 48 (between Delhi and Jaipur) will be 500 km, and 18 charging stations will be setup near toll plazas on the two routes.
Rural sanitation coverage jumped to 99% from 38% in 2014
Government today said, under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin), 9 crore 62 lakh individual household toilets have been constructed so far.
- The sanitation coverage in the rural areas of the country has increased to more than 99 per cent, which was over 38 per cent on 2nd October 2014.
- Also, 632 Districts, 30 States, over 2.50 lakh Gram Panchayats and five lakh 67 thousand 498 villages have been declared open defecation Free.
Tata Steel Kalinganagar joins WEF’s Global Lighthouse Network
Tata Steel Kalinganagar (TSK) has been included in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Lighthouse Network, a community of manufacturers showing leadership in applying Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies to drive financial and operational impac.
- TSK in Odisha’s Jajpur district is the first and the only Indian manufacturing plant to be included in the WEF’s Lighthouse Network.
Tripura gets Rs 358 crore from GoI for road projects
The Government of India has sanctioned an additional amount of Rs 358 crore for the construction of new roads in rural areas of Tripura.
Hong Kong govt grants over $9 million for cyclone-hit Odisha
The Hong Kong government has approved over $9 million for relief and rehabilitation work in cyclone-hit Odisha.
- The grants will benefit around 45,100 victims of “Fani cyclone” and will be used to provide hygiene kits, kitchen kits, water, education, household items and shelter kits.
Govt hands over housing finance companies to RBI from NHB
The government has taken away the powers of the National Housing Bank (NHB) to regulate housing finance companies (HFCs) and handed them to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Act will be amended to give the RBI powers to regulate the HFC sector.
- NHB was part of the RBI till April this year when the government decided to take it over.
Nasscom, NSDC launch Global Cloud Computing challenge
Nasscom partners with National Skill Development Corporation to organise ‘World Skills India’s International Cloud Computing Challenge 2019’. Ten countries including India are participating in the competition, along with New Zealand, Belgium, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia, Oman and Ireland.
BANKING & FINANCE
Punjab & Sind Bank sets up centralised hub Cen-MARG to process retail, MSME loans
State-owned Punjab & Sind Bank has set up a centralised hub for processing retail and MSME loans for better efficiency of branches in business acquisition.
- The Centralised MSME & Retail Group (Cen-MARG) will be housed at its head office in New Delhi.
Shoaib Malik announces retirement from ODI cricket
Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Malik announced his retirement from ODI cricket after his country’s final league clash against Bangladesh in World Cup 2019.
Nalin Shinghal appointed CMD of BHEL
State-owned engineering firm BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited) said that Nalin Shinghal has been appointed its chairman and managing director for five years.
Harideesh Kumar appointed as Director of Institute of Banking Personnel Selection
B Harideesh Kumar has been appointed as director of Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) for a period of three years.
- Earlier, he was Executive Director of Canara Bank and brings with him a lot of domain related experience in the banking sector.
Formner Uttarakhand Governor Sudershan Agarwal passes away
Former Uttarakhand Governor Sudershan Agarwal passed away after prolonged illness. He was 88.
- Agarwal had served as the second Governor of the hill state between 2003 and 2007 during which he also established a Him Jyoti School in the Sahastradhara area
International Day of Cooperatives: 6 July 2019
The United Nations observes first Saturday of July every year as International Day of Cooperatives. The day is celebrated to increase the awareness of cooperatives. The event underscores the contributions of the cooperative movement in resolving the major problems addressed by the United Nations.
- The theme of the International Day of Cooperatives 2019 (CoopsDay) is COOPS 4 DECENT WORK.