Daily Current Affairs 6 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt launches ‘Nagar Van’ scheme to develop 200 Urban Forests across country in the next 5 years
On the occasion of the World Environment Day, the Central government announced the implementation of ‘Nagar Van’ scheme to develop 200 Urban Forests across the country in the next five years.
- The scheme has been launched with a renewed focus on people’s participation and collaboration between Forest Department, Municipal bodies, NGOs, Corporates and local citizens.
Power Minister launches the ‘#iCommit’ initiative on World Environment Day
Power Minister R K Singh initiated the ‘#iCommit’ campaign on the occasion of World Environment Day.
- The initiative is a clarion call to all stakeholders and individuals to continue moving towards energy efficiency, renewable energy, and sustainability to create a robust and resilient energy system in the future.
- The ‘#iCommit’ initiative, driven by Energy Efficiency Services Limited is uniting a diverse set of players such as Governments, Corporates, Multilateral and Bilateral Organisations, Think Tanks and Individuals
Andhra Pradesh govt gives Rs 10,000 each to 2.62 lakh auto, cab drivers in state
In a bid to help auto and taxi drivers affected due to the COVID-19 lockdown, the Andhra Pradesh government disbursed four months in advance an annual financial assistance of Rs 10,000 to each of the 2.62 lakh beneficiaries under a state welfare scheme.
- A total amount of Rs 262.49 crores to 2,62,493 beneficiaries under the YSR Vahana Mitra scheme
Kerala implements ‘Food forest’ project in tribal belts of Attapady
Kerala’s first ‘food forest’ is being prepared at tribal belts of Attapady in Palakkad district.
- As part of the Tribal Comprehensive Development Programme in Kerala the “food forest” project is being implemented in cooperation with the Mahila Kissan Saktheekaran Pariyojana of the Central Government.
- The project aims to provide food security to 192 tribal villages in Attapadi.
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD provides Rs 270 crore to Assam Gramin Vikash Bank
In the wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has made available a Special Liquidity Facility (SLF) of Rs 270 crore to Assam Gramin Vikash Bank for supporting the agricultural activities of the farmers.
- Following the pandemic, NABARD has provided Rs 25,000 crore nationwide for providing liquidity support to Cooperative Banks, Regional Rural Banks and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs) during 2020-21 with a view to ensuring continued flow of credit to farmers to carry out their agricultural operations smoothly even during COVID-19 pandemic period.
HDFC Bank launches ‘summer treats’ campaign
With the easing of the lockdown restrictions, private sector HDFC Bank announced a special Summer Treats campaign with offers for both merchants and, salaried and self-employed customers.
- The scheme offers multiple benefits ranging from cashback, discounts, to extra reward points and more. The scheme aims to target the changing consumer lifestyles and demands post-lockdown
Tata AIG Launches Telematics-Based ‘Pay-As-You-Drive’ Cover for Private Cars
Tata AIG General Insurance has joined the list of a select few insurers to offer usage-based insurance cover to private car owners which reduces the overall premium payout.
- The new policy called ‘AutoSafe’ uses telematics-based next-gen application and device to track the usage of the car and decide on the premium.
- The app helps policyholders save on premium by selecting the kilometres-driven, promotes safe driving, works as an anti-theft device as it comes with a GPS-based tracking facility.`
India to host AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 finals
The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has granted All India Football Federation (AIFF) the rights to host the AFC Women`s Asian Cup 2022 final. The decision was taken at the AFC Women`s Football Committee.
- The tournament will likely be held in the second half of the year.
Brajendra Navnit becomes India’s new ambassador to WTO
India appointed Brajendra Navnit, a 1999 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre as India’s new ambassador to the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Navnit who was till recently served as a joint secretary in the prime minister’s office will replace the current ambassador JS Deepak in Geneva for a period of three years at a time the multilateral trade body is facing an existential crisis.
DLF’s K P Singh retires at 90, son Rajiv Singh to take over reins
Kushal Pal Singh, the face of India’s largest listed real estate firm DLF, stepped down from the chairmanship of the company at the age of 90.
- He will be replaced by son Rajiv Singh, currently serving as vice chairman, the firm announced.
- The nonagenarian will, however, continue in a non-executive role as chairman emeritus.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw named EY World Entrepreneur of 2020
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Executive Chairperson of Biocon, has been named EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year 2020 for her contribution in improving universal access to affordable life-saving medicine and transforming the world in one of its kind virtual entrepreneurship award ceremony.
- She became the third Indian to win the Award after Uday Kotak of Kotak Mahindra Bank in 2014 and Narayana Murthy of Infosys in 2005. She also becomes the second woman to hold the title, following Olivia Lum of Singapore’s Hyflux Limited in 2011.
THE Asia University Ranking 2020: 8 Indian Institutes Make It To Top 100
Time Higher Education (THE) has announced the THE Asia University Rankings 2020. 56 Indian institutes participated in the rankings this year out of which eight have made it to the top 100.
- Among the Indian institutes, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has emerged as the best with reserving its place at the 36th rank.
- Apart from IISc, IITs have also fared well and six IITs have made their way to top 100. Among the IITs, IIT Ropar is place at 47th rank, followed by IIT Indore at 55th rank and IIT Kharagpur at 59th rank.
- IIT Delhi and IIT Bombay have been placed at 67th and 69th ranks respectively. The last two Indian institutes in top 100 are IIT Roorkee at 83rd place and Institute of Chemical Technology at 92nd rank.
Senior BJP leader Chandrakanta Goyal passes away
Senior BJP leader Chandrakanta Goyal, mother of Railway Minister Piyush Goyal, died at her residence due to old age. She was 88.
- Chandrakanta Goyal was a corporator in Mumbai for one term after the Emergency. Later, she represented the BJP from the Matunga Assembly constituency in Mumbai for three terms.
Veteran Bollywood Producer Anil Suri passes away
Bollywood producer Anil Suri, who had backed films like Raaj Kumar-Rekha starrer “Karmayogi” and “Raaj Tilak”, passed away due to coronavirus on Thursday.He was 77.
- Anil Suri produced films like “Karmayogi” (1978), starring Raaj Kumar, Jeetendra and Rekha, and the 1984 multistarrer “Raaj Tilak”, starring Dharmendra, Sunil Dutt, Raaj Kumar, Hema Malini, Reena Roy, Sarika and Kamal Haasan.