Daily Current Affairs 6 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
4th Global Ayurveda Festival to be held at Kochi
Fourth Global Ayurveda Festival, GAF will be held at Kochi in Kerala from 16th to 20th May. A curtain raiser event was organized in New Delhi this evening for the GAF. The theme for the five-day event is Ayurveda Medical Tourism: Actualizing India’s credibility.
- It will be the largest Ayurvedic event ever to be held anywhere across the world and will witness the largest gathering of experts, stakeholders and business explorers from the field of Ayurveda.
5th edition of India Pharma & India Medical Device 2020 Conference held at Gandhinagar, Gujarat
The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, in association with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry- FICCI is organising the 5th edition of India Pharma 2020 & India Medical Device 2020 Conference & Exhibition at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat. The three day conference was inaugurated by the Chemicals & Fertilizers Minister Shri Sadananda Gowda MoS (C&F).
- Theme of the event is “India Pharma: Meeting Challenges of Affordable and Quality Healthcare and India Medical Device: Promoting Affordable responsible and Quality Medical Device for Universal Health Care”.
MHA approved automated facial recognition system (AFRS) for identification of bodies, missing children, criminals
The Home Ministry has given approval to the automated facial recognition system (AFRS) for identification of unrecognised bodies, missing children and criminals.
- The approval has been accorded for implementation of AFRS by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
Govt aims to replace all level crossings on NH with Over/under Bridges under the Setu Bharatam scheme
Government has envisaged replacement of all the level crossings on National Highways by Road Over Bridges or Road Under Bridges under the Setu Bharatam scheme.
- The programme is being implemented by Road Transport and Highways Ministry to ensure safe and smooth flow of traffic and reduced road fatalities by 50 percent by 2020.
Tribal affairs ministry constitutes committee on CFR guidelines under FRA
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has constituted a committee to examine and recommend Community Forest Resources (CFR Guideline) under the Forest Rights Act, 2006 (FRA).
- The ministry created a committee headed by NC Saxena, former member of the Planning Commission of India and of the National Advisory Council, to examine and recommend CFR Guidelines under FRA on February 21, 2020
LG Murmu launches ‘Student Health Card’ for govt schools in J-K
Lieutenant Governor Girish Chandra Murmu launched the ‘Student Health Card’ in Jammu as a part of the government’s comprehensive school health education plan to ensure better healthcare for school children.
- In these Students Health Cards, all government schools will maintain proper health records of enrolled students.
- The distribution of health cards and the first check-up will be completed by mid-May.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Prudential AMC inks pact with Saraswat co-op bank to tap rural market
ICICI Prudential AMC ties up Saraswat Co-op Bank to tap rural potential. ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund through this tie-up aims to increase its footprint, especially in smaller towns and cities.
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund through this tie-up aims to increase its footprint, especially in smaller towns and cities and leverage on the bank’s over 100-year of presence in the country.
Sebi launches “Sebi SCORES” mobile app for investors to lodge grievances
Markets regulator Sebi said it has launched a mobile application ‘Sebi SCORES ‘for convenience of investors to lodge grievances in Sebi Complaints Redress System (SCORES).
- After mandatory registration on the application, investors will get an acknowledgement through SMS and e-mail for each grievance lodged. Investors can also track the status of their complaint redressal.
Moratorium imposed on Yes Bank, withdrawals capped at Rs 50,000
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said a “moratorium” has been imposed on Yes Bank stressing that the bank’s financial capability has undergone a steady decline largely due to inability of the bank to raise capital.
- During the period of moratorium, the Yes Bank Limited shall not, without the permission in writing of the Reserve Bank of India, make, in the aggregate, payment to a depositor of a sum exceeding Rs. 50,000 lying to his credit, in any savings, current or any other deposit account.
Bharti AXA Life Insurance wins Finnoviti Award 2020 for Excellence in Innovation
Bharti AXA Life Insurance, a joint venture between Bharti Enterprises, one of India’s leading business groups, and AXA, one of the world’s largest insurance companies, has been conferred with the prestigious ‘Finnoviti Award 2020’ for excellence in innovation and its innovative digital solution eASE that enables seamless onboarding process to customers, distributors and all internal stakeholders.
- The honour was bestowed upon Bharti AXA Life Insurance at the recent 9th edition of Finnoviti Award 2020 for its end-to-end digital sales enabler eASE to every milestone of the customer’s onboarding journey, right from product suitability assessment to premium calculation and payment and e-policy issuance.
EPFO slashes interest rates on deposits to 8.5%
Central Board of Trustees (CBT) of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has decided to decrease the interest rate of employees provident fund to 8.5 percent from 8.65 percent for 2019-2020, announced by Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar
- The decision was taken during a meeting of the CBT which is the apex decision-making body of the EPFO.
IMF makes available $50 billion to help address coronavirus
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is making available about 50 billion dollars through its rapid-disbursing emergency financing facilities for low income and emerging market countries that could potentially seek support to combat the spread of coronavirus.
- Of this, 10 billion dollars is available at for the poorest members through the rapid credit facility.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Google cloud announces to open Delhi Cloud Region
Google announced to open a Delhi cloud region in 2021. This will be the company’s second cloud region in India since it launched the Mumbai region in 2017.
- With these initiatives, Google cloud aims to brand itself into the preferred cloud ecosystem across enterprise and small and medium businesses, where rivals Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS) have a first-mover advantage.
India & US signed Rs 1200 crore deal for missile protection suites for new Boeing-777 VVIP planes
India has signed a Rs 1,200 crore deal with the United States for buying protection suites to protect the two new Boeing VVIP planes from missile attacks that will be used to ferry the President and the Prime Minister.
- The missile protection suites on the two Boeing-777 extended range planes to be codenamed ‘Air Force One’ would provide it the capability to fend off any missile attacks.
Mumbai to host 2023 International Olympic Committee (IOC) session
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board (EB) has decided that Mumbai, India, will be put forward to a vote of the IOC Members to host the IOC Session in 2023.
- The decision will be taken at the 136th IOC Session in Tokyo in July
Janez Jansa elected as Slovenia’s new Prime Minister
Janez Janša, the 61-year-old leader of the Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS), was elected prime minister-designate, receiving the mandate to form his third government after joining forces with the Modern Centre Party (SMC), New Slovenia (NSi) and Pensioners’ Party (DeSUS).
- He will replace center-left Prime Minister Marjan Sarec, who resigned last month.
RBI Deputy Governor N.S. Vishwanathan resigned ahead of retirement
Reserve Bank of India deputy governor NS Vishwanathan has quit three months ahead of his retirement in June due to health reasons.
- He was first appointed as RBI deputy governor in 2016 for a term of three years, following which he was re-appointed for another year
QS World University Ranking 2020 by subject: IIT Bombay & IIT Delhi find place in top 50 for engineering institutes
The prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Mumbai and Delhi are among the top 50 engineering colleges across the globe, according to subject-wise QS World Rankings 2020.
- While IIT Bombay has been ranked 44, IIT Delhi has bagged the 47th rank.This year, five institutions from India have been ranked among the top 100.
- In 2020, IIT Kharagpur (IIT-KGP) is at 86th, IIT Madras (IITM) at 88 and IIT Kanpur (IITK) at 96,
- On the other hand, The Jindal Global Law School (JGLS) of O.P. Jindal Global University in Sonipat, Haryana was ranked as No.1 law school in India. JGLS has been ranked in the 101-150 band among the world’s top law schools .
Indira Gandhi, Amrit Kaur named by TIME among ‘100 Women of the Year’
Former prime minister Indira Gandhi and freedom fighter Amrit Kaur have been named by the TIME magazine among world’s 100 powerful women who defined the last century in a new project that “spotlights influential women who were often overshadowed.”
- TIME named Kaur as ‘Women of the Year’ for 1947 and Gandhi for 1976 in special covers recreated by the publication.
- TIME has created 100 coves for 100 women from 1920 to 2020
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ARCI develops “PEMFC” system for Disaster Management
Scientists at International Advanced Research for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI), Hyderabad, an autonomous R&D Centre of Department of Science and Technology (DST) have developed Polymer Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells (PEMFC).
- PEMFC, in its entireness, have an advantage of operational capability at low-temperatures with applications in decentralised power generation systems.
- It has developed an in-house PEMFC systems in the power range of 1 to 20 kiloWatt (kW) for Disaster Management.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Chronicles of Change Champions” book released by Smriti Irani
Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani released a book titled Chronicles of Change Champions at an event held in New Delhi.
- The book is a compilation of 25 innovative initiatives taken at the state and district levels under the Prime Minister’s flagship scheme of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
Janaushadhi Week being celebrated in India from March 1 to 7
Janaushadhi week is being celebrated across the country from 1st March to 7th March 2020. On this occasion various activities like health checkup Camp, Jan Aushadhi Paricharcha, Jan Aushadhi ka sath are being undertaken.
- During the week, blood pressure check-up, sugar level checkup, free doctor consultation and free medicine distribution are being hosted at various Jan Aushadhi Kendras