Daily Current Affairs 6 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt constitutes committee to review guidelines on Television Rating agencies
Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has constituted a committee to review guidelines on Television Rating agencies in India.
- Prasar Bharti CEO Shashi Shekhar Vempati will be Chairman of the Committee. The Members of the Committe are Dr Shalabh, Professor of Statistics in Department of Mathematics and Statistics in IIT Kanpur, Dr Rajkumar Upadhyay, Executive Director of C-DOT and Proffesor Pulak Ghosh of Decision Sciences Centre for Public Policy.
- The Committee will carry out an appraisal of the existing system, examine TRAI recommendations notified from time to time, overall industry scenario and addressing the needs of the stakeholders and make recommendations for robust, transparent and accountable rating system through changes, if any, in the existing guidelines.
Dehradun Municipal Corporation launches Plastic Lao MASK LE JAO initiative
In Dehradun, the Municipal Corporation has launched an initiative named Plastic Lao MASK LE JAO to fight against the menace of plastic waste and contain the spread of Covid-19.
- It has distributed Five thousand face masks in exchange for plastic waste.
Cabinet approves Rs 1810 cr investment for 210 Mega Watt Luhri Stage-I Hydro Power Project in Himachal Pradesh
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA approved 1 thousand 8 hundred 10 crore rupees investment proposal of 210 Mega Watt Luhri Stage-I Hydro Power Project on river Satluj which is situated in Shimla and Kullu districts of Himachal Pradesh.
- The project will be commissioned within 62 months and it will lead to reduction of 6.1 lakh tonne of carbon dioxide from the environment annually.
- The project is being implemented by Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited, SJVNL on Build-Own-Operate-Maintain basis with active support from the Centre and State Government.
US formally exits Paris pact aiming to curb climate change
The United States formally left the Paris Agreement, a global pact forged five years ago to avert the threat of catastrophic climate change.
- The move, long threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump and triggered by his administration a year ago, further isolates the United States in the world but has no immediate impact on international efforts to curb global warming.
- Some 189 countries remain committed to the 2015 Paris accord, which aims to keep the increase in average temperatures worldwide “well below” 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit), ideally no more than 1.5C (2.7 F), compared to pre-industrial levels.
BANKING & FINANCE
Visa partners with DigitSecure, HDFC Bank for global-first live deployment of PCI certified Tap to Phone card acceptance solution
Visa recently announced the first successful live deployment of a PCI certified Tap to Phone card acceptance solution, in partnership with DigitSecure and HDFC Bank.
- DeliveryPlus is the first merchant to go live with HDFC Bank as acquirer.
- This solution enables merchants to securely accept contactless card payments in seconds through an app on their NFC-enabled Android smartphones, and without having dedicated card acceptance devices.
- In line with the ‘Make in India’ goal of local innovation, DigitSecure is the first company based in Asia Pacific to receive PCI security certification for deploying this technology.
AU Bank enters into agreement with Care Health
AU Small Finance Bank entered into agreement with Care Health Insurance Company for health insurance products as Corporate Agent.
- This tie up shall be mutually beneficial for Care Health Insurance Company and AU Small Finance Bank in terms of business, market penetration and reach.
Paytm partners with SBI to offer Credit Card through its app
SBI Cards and Payment Services (SBI Card) said it has launched credit cards in partnership with the digital payment platform Paytm.
- Available in two variants, Paytm SBI Card and Paytm SBI Card SELECT, the product has been launched on the Visa platform.
- The partnership aims to bring ‘new to credit’ users into the formal economy and empowering them to control their finances. The card which can be used across Paytm ecosystem, third-party platform and offline retail stores, will also enable digital process for the card application, issuance and managing the expenses.
ICICI Bank launches ‘Mine’, a banking stack for millennial customers
ICICI Bank has launched a banking stack for millennial customers which offers an instant savings account, a feature-driven iMobile application that offers investment guidance, curated credit and debit card, instant personal loans and overdrafts, and an experiential branch with social engagement space.
- Called ICICI Bank Mine, any millennial-aged up to 35 years can apply digitally for the account from November 6 through the bank’s website or the app.
- It is open to any millennial with access to a smartphone. But the initial focus is to attract customers who are in their first jobs or early in their careers, salaried customers or young entrepreneurs.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TRIFED signs MoU with JD Centre of Arts to preserve craft traditions through collaborations
TRIFED and JD Centre of Arts have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaborating on joint socio-cultural research work and anthropological study of tribal art and tradition in tribal dominated regions of India.
- The collaboration is an attempt to preserve the arts and crafts and traditions of the tribal communities which are slowly becoming a thing of the past.
- As a part of this association, it has been agreed to work together and identify areas of cooperation for research, documentation, archiving and collection of tribal art and craft, with specific reference to Tribal lifestyle and livelihood.
TransUnion CIBIL, MoSPI launch MSME Credit Health Index
In order to provide a measure of the growth and strength of the MSME sector in India, TransUnion CIBIL in partnership with Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) has launched MSME Credit Health Index.
- The MSME Credit Health Index will provide government, policy makers, lenders and MSME market participants, a numeric indicator for benchmarking the health of the MSME sector.
- This measurement model will facilitate better MSME credit risk management, formulation of strategies and policies to support the revival and resurgence of the MSME sector and the economy.
Chacha Chaudhary named brand ambassador for the Namami Gange
Indian comic book character, Chacha Chaudhary has been named the brand ambassador for the Namami Gange project.It was announced at the Ganga Utsav 2020 by Union Jal Shakti Minister, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
- Several important projects such as ‘Ganga Aerial Movie’, a film which showcases the journey of Ganga from the origin to the end in breath-taking aerial view, Urban River Management Plan, a joint project between National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and National Institute of Urban Affairs, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, were also launched.
- Ganga Box, an innovative learning tool, was also launched as part of the ‘Support to Ganga Rejuvenation’ project, being done by NMCG in collaboration with the German development agency (GIZ), by the Jal Shakti Minister.
NDDB Chairman Dilip Rath elected to the board of International Dairy Federation
Dilip Rath, Chairman, National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has been unanimously elected to the Board of International Dairy Federation (IDF) during the General Assembly of IDF.
- As Member Secretary of Indian National Committee and as a member of the Standing Committee on Dairy Policy and Economics, Rath has been associated with IDF for the last 10 years. He played a key role in signing the Dairy Declaration at the IDF World Dairy Summit in Rotterdam in October 2016 between IDF and FAO.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Assam Education Dept launches toll free tele-education helpline number for govt school students
In Assam, the Education department has launched a toll free tele education helpline number for government school students.
- The helpline number is to guide 6th to 10th standard students on subject matters and psycho-social aspects.
- The tollfree no is – 18003453578. would work on all 6 days in week except Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Jugalbandi: The BJP Before Modi”, new book to document journey of BJP
The book, “Jugalbandi: The BJP Before Modi”, is written by political scientist Vinay Sitapati. It will be published by Penguin’s ‘Viking’ imprint.
- A new book will explain Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP’s dominance in Indian politics through the 100-year old story of RSS.
Legendary Australia swimming coach Don Talbot passes away
Don Talbot, the foundation director of the Australian Institute of Sport and one of the country’s greatest coaches, has died. He was 87.
- Talbot was the driving force behind Australia becoming a swimmer powerhouse in the 1960s and 1970s, and also spent time coaching in Canada and the United States during his career.