Daily Current Affairs 6 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MoHUA enters into MoU with Swiggy to take street food vendors online under PM SVANIDHI scheme
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has entered into an MoU with Swiggy, one of the leading food delivery platforms, to onboard street food vendors on its e-commerce platform under the Prime Minister Street Vendor’s AtmaNibhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme
- The MoU aims at giving the street food vendors online access to thousands of consumers and help them grow their businesses.
- The Ministry and Swiggy will run a pilot programme by on-boarding 250 vendors across five cities namely – Ahmedabad, Chennai, Delhi, Indore, and Varanasi.
CM Kejriwal announces campaign against pollution-‘Yudh Pradushan Ke Virudh’
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched a mega anti-air pollution campaign, saying polluted air can be life threatening in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under the campaign “Yudh Pradushan ke Virudh”, separate plans have been prepared for each of the 13 pollution hotspots in the city.
- Customised plans of action are being made for each area, according to their respective causes of pollution & the thereby execution those plans to deal with all that pollution.
Mumbai ranks second after Delhi in crimes against women, shows NCRB data
According to the latest data released by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Mumbai recorded 6,519 cases, after national capital Delhi at 12,902 cases during the year 2019.
- Mumbai is ranked second among 19 cities in the country in recording the highest number of crimes against women after Delhi. Mumbai has 76.5 rate of crime against women as compared to other cities such as Jaipur (235), Lucknow (175.4), Delhi (170.3), Indore (169.1), Patna (102.3), Kanpur (98.5), Nagpur (93.6) and Bengaluru (85.9).
- Delhi and Mumbai are ranked in the top two, respectively, for reporting the maximum number of cases of crimes against children.
- Mumbai also has the highest number of sexual harassment incidents on public transport and recorded the highest number of cases for use of children in pornography.
- The financial capital also ranked third on the list of rape cases after Delhi and Jaipur.
Goa Govt Releases ‘Aatmanirbhar’ Plan To Support Farmers
The Goa government released an action plan to support agriculture and animal husbandry under its “Aatmanirbhar” programme.
- The government has announced a series of initiatives under the ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat Swayampoorna Goa programme’ (ABSGP) including promoting dairy and poultry farming.
- It talks about checking ‘menace’ of wild animals and cattle at agriculture fields.
- To help farmers, crop insurance and fencing will be availed. Horticulture cultivation, procurement of agricultural equipment, and sustainable harvesting of medical plants will also be assisted with it.
12th BRICS Summit to be held virtually on November 17, Russia to chair
The 12th BRICS Summit will be held on 17th November 2020 via video conference. The theme of the Meeting of the Leaders of BRICS countries is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- The Summit this year is being held under the Chairmanship of Russia and aims at a multifaceted cooperation between the member countries.
India’s Yashaswini Singh Deswal wins 10m air pistol event in International Online Shooting Championship
Indian Olympic quota winner Yashaswini Singh Deswal won the 10m air pistol event in the fifth edition of the International Online Shooting Championship (IOSC).
- The second place was grabbed by Ahmed Nabil of Egypt while his compatriot Yehya Shams took the third place. Sylvia Steiner, an Olympic quota winner for Austria, settled for the fourth place.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India successfully tests Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo
India successfully flight-tested the Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) from Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha.
- SMART is a missile assisted release of lightweight Anti-Submarine Torpedo System for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations for far beyond torpedo range.
- This launch and demonstration are significant in establishing ASW capabilities.
Puducherry airport becomes AAI’s first 100% solar-powered airport
Puducherry airport has become the Airports Authority of India’s (AAI) first entirely solar-powered airport in the country with the commissioning of 500KWp ground-mounted solar power plant at a cost of Rs 2.8 crore.
- With becoming absolutely power-neutral, the Puducherry airport will be able to meet its entire power requirement through the solar power plant.
IIT Kharagpur launches telemedicine software ‘iMediX’
IIT Kharagpur researchers have launched a telemedicine system ‘iMediX’ to help patients receive assistance from doctors without having to go to hospitals or clinics.
- ‘iMediX’ allows patients to request for consultation by choosing a department of a hospital, entering their complaints and uploading necessary medical records. The hospital then processes the request and assigns a doctor.
- The system iMediX which is accessible by any standard internet browser and also from a mobile device, has been developed by researchers at IIT Kharagpurs Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
IACC presents lifetime achievement award to Ratan Tata
The Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) has bestowed a lifetime achievement award to Indian business icon Ratan Tata at a closed-door meeting, owing to ongoing pandemic.
- Tata, who grew the revenues for India’s largest conglomerate ‘The Tata Group’ to nearly USD 100 billion by 2011-12, remains an influential industrialist, philanthropist and humanitarian to the day.
Mumbai Municipal Commissioner I.S. Chahal honoured with Global ‘Covid Crusader Award-2020’
Iqbal Singh Chahal, I.A.S., Municipal Commissioner of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, wss honoured with Global ‘Covid Crusader Award-2020’ by the Indo American Chamber of Commerce(IACC) in the Indian Bureaucrats Category.
- Chahal has become the first Indian bureaucrat to be recognised and receive global acknowledgment for his contribution in controlling the novel coronavirus infection in India’s financial capital and for working to ‘flatten the curve’ in congested areas of the city, including Asia’s biggest slum Dharavi.
Sikkim’s Dalle Khursani Chilly Gets GI Tag
The famous red-hot cherry pepper of Sikkim, which is known as Dalle Khursani, has earned the geographical indication (GI) tag from the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- With GI, the crop will have global recognition and the marketing of the product will be beyond the national borders.
Veteran Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav passes away
Mulayam Singh Yadav, former MLC of Samajwadi Party, passed away in his native village Kakor . He was 92.
- Mulayam was a three-time member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council and had served as the block president twice.
- From 1973 to 1988, he was block chief of Bhagya Nagar and was then elected to the member of the Legislative Council for the first time in 1990.
- He continued to be a member of the Legislative Council from the local body constituency till 2010.
Justice A S Dave passes away
Former acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court Justice Anantkumar Surendraray Dave passed away. He was 62.
- Justice Dave was appointed as a Gujarat High Court Judge in 2004 and was made permanent in 2006.
- He was appointed as an Acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court on November 14, 2018 and served until the present Chief Justice Vikram Nath took over the helm in September 2019.
Actress Mishti Mukherjee passes away
Actress Mishti Mukherjee who has featured in many Hindi, Bengali and Telugu films, and music videos has passed away due to renal failure. She was 27.
- Mukherjee made her Bollywood debut with the 2012 Ranvir Shorey-starrer “Life Ki Toh Lag Gayi” in a guest appearance.
Former Union Minister Rasheed Masood passes Away
Former Union Minister Rasheed Masood, who was suffering complications following his recovery from Covid-19, passed away at the age 73.
- Masood was the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare with independent charge in the National Front government led by VP Singh in 1990.
- Masood had been a five-time member of the Lok Sabha from Saharanpur. He has also been a Rajya Sabha member representing the Samajwadi Party and the Congress on separate occasions.
- Masood was the United National Progressive Alliance candidate for the Vice-President in 2007.
Former Indian Bank Chairman Gopalakrishnan passes away
Former chairman-cum-managing director of Indian Bank M. Gopalakrishnan died owing to ill-health at a private hospital. He was 86.
- Mr. Gopalakrishnan joined Indian Bank as an unpaid officer in 1958. He went on to become its CMD in 1988 and continued in the post till December 1995.In the 1990s, he was a popular figure and was in the news often.
- Mr. Gopalakrishnan also dabbled in politics. He joined the Tamil Manila Congress, led by late G.K. Moopanar.
- He was also the nominee of Makkal Tamil Desam, led by former Minister S. Kannappan, in Bhuvanagiri in 2001. He later joined the AIADMK. He also served as president of the Tamilnadu Yadava Maha Sabha.
Veteran cardiologist AV Shetty passes away
Veteran cardiologist AV Shetty died in Mangaluru after a brief illness. He was 85.
- AV Shetty was acknowledged as the first cardiologist of Dakshina Kannada district. The first open heart surgery in Karnataka, which took place at the government Wenlock Hospital here, was performed under his watch. It was conducted by Dr SR Ullal.
- Shetty served as professor of cardiology at Kasturba Medical College for 25 years and after retirement served as chief of cardiology at Father Muller Hospital.
- He had also served as president of Mangaluru chapter of the Indian Medical Association (IMA) and the DK chapter of the Association of Physicians of India during 1992-93.
Jitendra Singh launches book titled ‘Discovering the Heritage of Assam’
Union Minister Jitendra Singh released a coffee table book – ‘Discovering the Heritage of Assam‘- with a foreword by Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan.
- The book has been written by Padampani Bora, who is by profession an officer of the Indian Revenue Service (2009 batch).
- The voluminous book with pictures and photographs on glaze paper presents an absorbing compilation of heritage, faith, beliefs and traditions of different ethnic tribes and sub-tribes living in Assam, the largest state of the Northeastern region.
World Habitat Day
World Habitat Day is observed on every first Monday of October to raise awareness amongst people globally about the state of towns and cities. This year World Habitat Day celebrated on October 5.
- This day reminds us that we all have that right and responsibility to make our habitat a better and safer place.
- “Housing For All – A Better Urban Future” is the theme for World Habitat Day 2020.
Every year National Wildlife Week is celebrated in India between October 2nd and October 8th across the globe .
- The main objective of celebrating the day is to save the lives of Indian animals by taking critical steps. The week is celebrated under the following theme
- The theme of National Wildlife Week 2020 is RoaR (Roar and Revive) – Exploring Human-Animal Relationships.
World Animal Day
World Animal Day is an international day of action for animal rights and welfare celebrated annually on October 4.
- The mission of World Animal Day is to raise the status of animals in order to improve welfare standards around the globe.