Daily Current Affairs 6 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt clears over Rs 5,000 crore Akash missile project for Air Force
In a bid to boost to Air Force’s capability to take down enemy fighter aircraft, the government has cleared the procurement of six squadrons of the indigenous Akash air defence missile systems worth Rs 5,000 crore to be deployed on the borders with Pakistan and China.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently cleared the project for the Air Force.
Tripura to set up replicas of all 51 shaktipeeths situated in Indian Subcontinent
The Tripura government has come forward to set up replicas of all 51 shaktipeeths situated in the Indian subcontinent.
- Shaktipeeths are considered as the holiest shrines of Goddess Shakti.
- To boost tourism in the north-eastern, the state government has allocated 14.22 acres of land for it at Fulkumari Mouja under Udaipur Sub Division near Tripurasundari Matabari temple.
Delhi’s IGI Airport gets India’s Tallest ATC Tower
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport has now got India’s tallest ATC tower at a height of 102 metres, to enhance the safety and boost the efficiency of air transport management services.
- The tower aims to reduce the pressure on controllers and provide relief to flyers from delays. The tower has over 45 workstations with better operational area visibility. The tower has multilayered security.
1st National Conference on Cyber Crime Investigation and Cyber Forensics
Central Bureau of Investigation’s 1st National Conference on Cyber Crime Investigation and Cyber Forensics inaugurated in New Delhi.
- The 2 days conference aimed at creating the platform and bringing together investigators, lawyers, forensic experts and academia to discuss challenges related to cybercrime and ways to find solutions.
Gujarat Govt, Delaware State of America sign MoU for sister state
Gujarat Government and Delaware State of America have signed MoU -Memorandum of Understanding for sister state. MoU was signed in Gandhinagar.
- This is the first sister state MoU signed by Gujarat with any state of America.
Rohit Sharma launches Campaign to save Rhinos in India
India vice-captain Rohit Sharma is launching Rohit4Rhinos campaign, in partnership with WWF India and Animal Planet, to help build awareness for the need to conserve the Greater One-Horned Rhinoceros or the Indian Rhino.
- In a campaign launching on Animal Planet to commemorate World Rhino Day on September 22, Rohit pledges to do his bit to save the “vulnerable” species from extinction.
- The Indian rhinoceros faces several threats, including poaching, habitat loss and mass mortality from in-breeding and disease
Joint India-New Development Bank Workshop held in New Delhi
A joint India- New Development Bank workshop was held in New Delhi. The workshop was organized to enhance the NDB’s engagement with the India’s private and public sector. The NDB is aiming to support the Indian public and private sector for infrastructure development through innovative means such as loans in local currency, guarantees, credit enhancement and equity investments.
Indian Army Team Summit MT Leo Pargyil (6773m)
An Indian Army team successfully summited Mount Leo Pargyil (6773M) on 20th Aug 2019 after an extremely challenging climb in harsh weather, hoisting the National Flag atop Mt Leo Pargyil. The expedition was flagged in by Lieutenant General PM Bali, AVSM, VSM, COS, Western Command on 31 Aug 2019 at Jhakri near Rampur Bushar.
Modi announces USD one billion line of credit to Russia’s far east region
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the ‘Act Far East’ policy for Russia and announced that India will give a line of credit worth USD 1 billion for the development of Russia’s Far East region.
- Also, India and Russia have signed 30 memoranda of understanding to promote trade and investments during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Vladivostok in Russia.
Nicki Minaj announces retirement from music
After making you groove on her hit numbers for years, singer and rapper Nicki Minaj has announced retirement from the music industry.
- Nicki Minaj (Onika Tanya Maraj) is a Trinidad and Tobago-born rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, actress, and model.
BANKING & FINANCE
NDB to provide Rs 6,000 crore loan to Andhra Pradesh for social infrastructure projects
New Development Bank (NDB) will provide a loan of Rs 6,000 crore to Andhra Pradesh for various social infrastructure projects in the state.
- The amount will be used for social infrastructure projects. The loan will be repaid in 32 years.
Standard Chartered Bank launches DigiSmart Credit Card
Standard Chartered Bank has launched “DigiSmart” credit card focused primarily on the ever-growing segment of millennials. This credit card will offer instant discounts and benefits across key e-commerce categories of travel, entertainment, fashion, groceries and food delivery around the year.
- This credit card is available for a nominal monthly fee of Rs 49. However, this fee will be waived off if the spends of the customer are Rs 5,000 or more in the previous month.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FDI grows 28% to $16.33 bn in Q1 FY20; Singapore largest source: Govt data
Foreign direct investment into India grew by 28 per cent to $16.33 billion during the first quarter of the current fiscal, according to government data.
- Singapore emerged as the largest source of FDI in India during the first quarter of the fiscal with $5.33 billion investments. It was followed by Mauritius ($4.67 billion), the US ($1.45 billion), the Netherlands ($1.35 billion), and Japan ($472 million).
Edelweiss teams up with SBI for co-origination of loans to MSMEs
ECL Finance, a subsidiary of Edelweiss Financial Services, State Bank of India (SBI) have signed a co-origination agreement to increase access to credit for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- This is the third co-origination MoU in quick succession for Edelweiss after the Bank of Baroda and Central Bank of India.
CRISIL revises India’s GDP growth to 6.3% in fiscal 2020
Rating agency CRISIL has revised India’s fiscal year 2020 GDP growth forecast to 6.3%. CRISIL has lowered the GDP growth forecast from 6.9% to 6.3%. The growth was revised as the first-quarter growth rate of India reduced to a 25-quarter low of 5%.
India among top 10 nations in gold reserves
India has pipped the Netherlands to move into the list of top ten countries in terms of total gold reserves. India ranks 10th.
- According to the World Gold Council, India has gold reserves totalling 618.2 tonnes, which is marginally higher than the Netherlands’ reserves of 612.5 tonnes.
- According to the latest release by the World Gold Council, U.S. leads the country list with total gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes followed by Germany with 3,366.8 tonnes.
- International Monetary Fund(IMF) ranks third. So, India ranks 10th in the list. But in individual countries list, India ranks 9th.
Odisha-based Anupama Swain wins bronze in World Martial Arts Mastership
India’s young prodigy Anupama Swain has won a bronze medal in the World Martial Arts Membership Jiu-Jitsu. With this, she has qualified for 2022 Asian Games.
- Jiu-Jitsu is a form of martial art and combat sport and it puts the entire focus on grappling with particular emphasis on
Rahmat Shah becomes first cricketer from Afghanistan to score Test century
All-rounder Rahmat Shah became the first cricketer from Afghanistan to score a Test century. The right-handed batsman smashed 102 runs in 187 balls before returning to the pavilion.
OSDMA bags IT Excellence Award for SATARK app
Odisha State Disaster Management Authority’s (OSDMA) SATARK (System for Assessing, Tracking and Alerting Disaster Risk Information based on Dynamic Risk Knowledge) app won the IT Excellence Award-2019 for its innovative conception in the field of disaster management
- The application, both in web and mobile phone, has been developed to provide real time watch, alert and warning information for different hazards like heat wave, lightning, drought, flood monitoring, ocean state information, tsunami risk, earthquake monitoring, cyclone/storm surge, road accident and snakebite monitoring.
Bangladesh: Prof Muhammad Yunus conferred ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis ‘ award by Vatican
Nobel Laureate from Bangladesh Professor Muhammad Yunus was conferred the ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis ‘ award by the Vatican for his contribution towards establishing peace and harmony. The award is a recognition for distinguished work by an individual for promoting peace and dialogue among people.
Novelist Kiran Nagarkar passes away in Mumbai
Novelist Kiran Nagarkar passed away at the age of 77 after a brief illness. He suffered a massive brain haemorrhage.
- Nagarkar, who was born in Mumbai in 1942, published his first novel, ‘Saat Sakkam Trechalis’, in Marathi in 1974 at the age of 32. He won the 2001 Sahitya Akademi Award for his epic novel ‘Cuckold’ (1997).
Zimbabwe’s Former President Robert Mugabe passes away
Zimbabwe’s former president Robert Mugabe has passed away aged 95. Mugabe died in Singapore, where he has often received medical treatment in recent years.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs