Daily Current Affairs 6 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to be the first Asian Country to launch a plastics pact
India has become the first Asian country to develop a plastics pact, launching a ground-breaking new initiative to bring together leading businesses at a national level to make commitments for building a circular system for plastics.
- The India Plastics Pact (IPP) has launched as a collaboration between:WWF India and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- The pact is supported by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and WRAP, and endorsed by the British High Commission in India.
28th edition of Singapore-India Maritime bilateral exercise ‘SIMBEX’ concludes
The three-day long 28th edition of Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise SIMBEX concluded.
- The Indian Navy was represented by Guided Missile Destroyer INS Ranvijay with a ship borne helicopter, ASW Corvette INS Kiltan and Guided Missile Corvette INS Kora and one P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- This year’s edition of SIMBEX was also a special occasion as it takes place during the ongoing celebrations of the 75th year of India’s independence. The success of SIMBEX-2021 is yet another demonstration of the mutual resolve on both sides to strengthen the bilateral partnership further in the years ahead.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB clears $150 million loan for urban poor housing project in Tamil Nadu
Multilateral funding agency Asian Development Bank has approved a $150 million (about Rs 1,095 crore) loan for a sustainable housing project for the urban poor in Tamil Nadu.
- The loan to provide access to inclusive, resilient, and sustainable housing for the urban poor in Tamil Nadu was approved on September 3, 2021.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sai Life Sciences becomes a signatory of the United Nations Global Impact
Sai Life Sciences, a leading global Contract Research, Development & Manufacturing Organization (CRO/ CDMO), announced that it has become a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), the world’s largest sustainability initiative.
- As a signatory, Sai Life Sciences has committed itself to adopting the Ten Principles of the UNGC on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, reinforcing the company’s commitment to corporate responsibility and sustainability.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
ICICI Lombard gets final approval to acquire Bharti AXA
India’s largest private sector general insurer ICICI Lombard said that it has received the final nod from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for its acquisition of Bharti Axa General Insurance.
- The insurance regulator IRDAI’s final approval for the merger of the two general insurance businesses comes over a year after ICICI Lombard bought out Bharti Axa in an all-stocks deal that reportedly valued the latter at over Rs 2,500 crore.
LIC picks up nearly 4% stake in Bank of India through open market transaction
State-owned Bank of India said LIC has picked up nearly 4 per cent equity shares of the bank through an open market Bank of India said.
- Before the latest acquisition of shares in the bank, LIC held over a 3.17 per cent stake in the state-owned bank. The bank said that LIC’s stake in Bank of India has now increased to 7.05 per cent, equivalent to 28,92,87,324 shares
Max Verstappen wins Dutch Grand Prix 2021
Max Verstappen has won the formula one Dutch Grand Prix 2021. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) came second while Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) came third.
- The Red Bull driver’s leading seventh win of the season and 17th of his career moved him three points ahead of the defending champion, who finished second but softened the blow with a bonus point for fastest lap.
ESFB ropes in hockey player Rani Rampal & cricketer Smriti Mandhana as brand ambassadors
Equitas Small Finance Bank said it has roped in woman hockey player Rani Rampal and cricketer Smriti Mandhana as its brand ambassadors.
- The appointment of the brand ambassadors comes in line with the fifth year anniversary celebrations of Equitas Small Finance which falls on September 5.
Govt Names Suman Sharma as Next Managing Director of SECI
The government has appointed Suman Sharma as the managing director (MD) of Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI), the renewable energy ministry said.
- Sharma is an Indian Revenue Service officer of the 1990 batch. She will replace Jatindra Nath Swain who is currently serving as the chairman and MD of the company.
- Sharma is currently serving as the Additional DGFT, Directorate General of Foreign Trade, Department of Commerce.
Yoshihide Suga to step down as Japanese PM
Yoshihide Suga will step down as Japanese Prime Minister amid increasing anger over his government’s handling of COVID-19.
- Suga became prime minister just one year ago after long-serving Prime Minister Shinzo Abe stepped down over health concerns.
- Mr Suga announced that he would not seek re-election in this month’s leadership race for the ruling Liberal Democratic party. The winner of that contest will lead the party in a general election that must be held by November 30 this year.
SJVN conferred ‘Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021’
SJVN has been conferred with prestigious Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021 in the category of Best Growth Performance-Power. The award has been presented in a virtual conference titled India’s Top 500 Companies 2021.
- SJVN has ventured into Thermal Power, Wind and Solar energy generation, and into electricity transmission also.
- With a robust portfolio of 31 projects of about 10,000 MW in the pipeline, SJVN for itself has set an ambitious target of achieving 5000 MW installed capacity by 2023, 12000 MW by 2030 and 25000 MW by 2040.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“A Rude Life: The Memoir” by Vir Sanghvi
A memoir titled ‘A Rude Life: The Memoir’ has been written by Vir Sanghvi, one of India’s most recognised journalists. The book was published by Penguin Random House.
- Through this book, the author has shared his views and experience of the most eventful careers in Indian journalism, including his personal life, stories of and about celebrities and politicians, middlemen and behind-the-scene actors.
Former Union Health Secretary Keshav Desiraju passes away
Keshav Desiraju, former Union Health Secretary and the grandson of former President Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan passed away. He was 66.
- After retirement, Desiraju remained involved in issues of public health, particularly on mental health, primary health care and community health. He has written many books including, a biography of legendary singer MS Subbulakshmi.
International Day of Charity
Mother Teresa’s death anniversary is observed as International Day of Charity on September 5 every year.
- International Day of Charity is celebrated with an aim of increasing and enhancing social responsibility across the world.
Every year on September 5, the country celebrates National Teachers’ Day to celebrate the teachers in our lives and express our gratitude for their guidance and influence.
- Teachers’ Day is celebrated on September 5 annually to commemorate the birth anniversary of renowned scholar, recipient of Bharat Ratna, first Vice-President, and second President of independent India, Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan