Daily Current Affairs 6th July 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt sets up target of constructing 57,000 km of roads under PMGSY this fiscal
The government has set a target of constructing 57 thousand kilometers of roads under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) during 2017-18. According to the Rural Development Ministry, the roads will be constructed at an average rate of 156 kilometers per day.
“JIGYASA” – Student-Scientist connect programme launched
Jigyasa, a student- scientist connect programme has been launched in the New Delhi. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), has joined hands with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) to implement this programme.
- The focus is on connecting school students and scientists so as to extend student’s classroom learning with that of a very well planned research laboratory based learning.
India, US, Japan to kick off mega naval exercise from July 7
Warships, submarines, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the US will participate in the Malabar 2017 exercise in the Bay of Bengal from July 7-17.
Samsung launches ‘Smart Healthcare’ initiative in Tamil Nadu
Samsung India has partnered with the Tamil Nadu government to offer healthcare solutions with the effective use of technology to patients from the economically and socially weaker sections of society.
- As part of its “Smart Healthcare” programme, Samsung will provide advanced and innovative healthcare equipments to select government hospitals in Kanchipuram and its adjoining areas.
India likely to clock 6.9% GDP growth this fiscal: BMI Research
According to a report by BMI Research, Indian economy is expected to recover in the coming quarters and the country is expected to clock a real GDP growth of 6.9 per cent in this financial year.
Rare ‘White tiger’ spotted in the Nilgiris
A Bangalore based man, Nilanjan Ray who is a wildlife photographer has spotted a rather pale tiger, at the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve located in the Western Ghats.
5th Meeting of BRICS Education Ministers held in Beijing, China
Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Education was held on 5th July, 2017 at Beijing, China. The Indian delegation was led by Shri Prakash Javadekar, Minister of Human Resource Development, India.
Italy passes bill to make torture illegal
Italian lawmakers have finally passed a bill making torture a crime under national law, after years of parliamentary back-and-forth.
- Rome signed the UN Convention Against Torture in 1984 but had never transferred it into national legislation.
World’s most detailed scan of the brain’s internal wiring produced
The world’s most detailed scan of the brain’s internal wiring has been produced by scientists at Cardiff University, UK. The scanning was done in Cardiff, Nottingham, Cambridge and Stockport, as well as London England and London Ontario.
Nokia and Xiaomi ink patent and equipment deal, Xiaomi buys Nokia patents
Nokia has announced that it has entered into a wide-ranging patent licensing and purchase deal with Xiaomi, the Chinese maker of smartphones, wearables and other hardware.
- The deal covers three main areas: Nokia and Xiaomi have inked a cross licensing deal covering cellular standard essential patents; Xiaomi has acquired unspecified patents from Nokia; and Nokia will provide network equipment to Xiaomi and will collaborate on building IP transport solutions.
FINANCE & ECONOMY
China-led AIIB clears $329-mn loan for building roads in Gujarat villages
China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved $329 million loan to build access roads to 4,000 villages in Gujarat.
- This project will construct and upgrade district and farm-to-market roads for the villagers and provide approaches to educational institutions, schools and hospitals.
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance ties up with Dhanlaxmi Bank
Private life insurance company Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance, has entered into an alliance with Dhanlaxmi Bank. All the life insurance products of Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance would be made available to customers of Dhanlaxmi Bank and would be sold by the licensed staff of the bank.
South Indian Bank ties up with PFG Forex
South Indian Bank has tied up with PFG Forex for remittance facility for the benefit of Indian expatriates from Australia. The new facility will leverage the bank to reach the Indian diaspora.
- Under this arrangement, NRIs can enjoy cost-effective and fast remittance services using SIB’s Express facility.
HDFC ERGO to implement crop insurance scheme in Andhra Pradesh
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Ltd has been authorised by Government of Andhra Pradesh to implement Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme (WBCIS) for loanee and non-loanee farmers.
- The scheme offers insurance cover against losses of farmers due to aberrant weather conditions during the crop cycle – sowing to harvesting stage of crop.
India rise to 96th in latest FIFA rankings
India’s football team has achieved its best FIFA ranking since February 1996 — it has been placed 96th in the July rankings.
- Also Germany have returned to the top of FIFA’s world rankings, for the first time in two years, knocking Brazil into second place.
Lxmanan wins gold at Asian athletics meet
Govindan Laxmanan has clinched the first gold for India at the Asian Athletics Championships by emerging triumphant in the men’s 5,000 metres at the Kalinga Stadium in Odisha