Daily Current Affairs 7 December 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister launches SRESHTA scheme for socio economic upliftment of SC students
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dr Virendra Kumar launched Scheme for Residential Education for Students in High Schools in Targeted Areas (SRESHTA) for socio-economic upliftment and overall development of Scheduled Castes students.
- The scheme was launched on the occasion of Mahaparinirvan Diwas of Dr B R Ambedkar in New Delhi. The scheme will enable bright SC students to have a better future by getting high-quality education.
- It will also aid in controlling dropout rates of SC students from class 9th to 12th. In the next five year the Ministry will extend support to around 25 thousand meritorious SC students involving 300 crore rupees for providing them quality residential education.
Centre initiates Scheme for Protection and Preservation of Endangered Languages of India
The Centre has said it has initiated a Scheme for the Protection and Preservation of Endangered Languages of India.
- In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of Education Dharmendra Pradhan said the Mysuru based Central Institute of India Languages is working on the protection, preservation and documentation of all Indian languages which are spoken by less than ten thousand people. He said the scheme at present covers 117 languages.
- Mr Dharmendra Pradhan also said, the National Policy of Education, 2020, provides for the medium of instruction to be in the mother tongue or the local language wherever possible, at least up to 5th standard and preferably up to 8th class.
Joint military exercise between India and Maldives begins at Kadhdhoo Island
The 11th edition of Exercise EKUVERIN between India and Maldives will be conducted at Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives. It will conclude on 19th of this month.
- The exercise will enhance synergy and inter-operability between Armed Forces of both the nations in terms of understanding transnational terrorism both on land and at sea, conducting Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency Operations and sharing best military practices and experiences.
Cambridge Dictionary names ‘perseverance’ Word of the Year 2021
Cambridge Dictionary has announced perseverance as its Word of the Year 2021.
- It’s a word that perfectly captures the undaunted will of people across the world to never give up, despite the many challenges of 2021.
- And, of course, the global interest in the NASA mission to Mars. Keep reading for practical resources to use in your classroom to teach about the Word of the Year 2021.
BANKING & FINANCE
PNB launches android app for differently-abled employees
Punjab National Bank (PNB) said it has launched PNB Pride-CRMD module tool, an android-based application for differently-abled employees, to monitor and effectively follow up with the special mention account (SMA) borrowers.
- This tool shall be compatible with iOS also very soon, it said. SMA accounts are stressed loans recognized early, enabling banks to initiate timely remedial actions, and preventing such borrowers from slipping to non-performing asset (NPA).
Paytm partners AWS to offer its startup toolkit for entrepreneurs
India’s leading digital ecosystem for consumers and merchants, Paytm, has partnered with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to offer its startup toolkit to startups onboarded on AWS Activate, a program that offers startups free tools, resources, and more to quickly get started on AWS.
- Paytm will help entrepreneurs operating in India in the AWS Activate program grow their businesses with payment, distribution, and growth solutions.
- The Paytm startup toolkit is a single-stop platform that offers solutions in the domain of payments, payouts, banking and distribution with services including Paytm Payment Gateway, which helps businesses accept digital payments on their website, app; Paytm Payouts, which helps companies streamline their payments to employees, vendors, distributors and channel partners; and Paytm Payments Bank including nodal banking, which provides truly digital banking.
J&K Bank launches mPay Delight – for Public
To make daily transactions of its customers more secure and easier, J&K Bank launched its revised and refurbished Mobile Banking App mPay Delight for the public.
- Notably, available on Google Play Store & Apple store, J&K Bank mPay Delight app has been made more user friendly, vibrant and easier to use with biometric fingerprint authentication for faster and more secure Logins.
Aditya Birla Health Insurance launches plan for senior citizens
Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co. Ltd. (ABHICL), the health insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited (ABCL) – a significant non-bank financial services’ conglomerate – has launched a new plan called Activ Health Essential, an affordable health solution plan for the special.
- This plan will offer coverage from day one of chronic health management, along with optional benefits to waive off mandatory co-payment.
- The senior citizen plan also comes with counselling support and health coaching features that are so important for senior citizens.
ITF World Tour Championships: Pranjala beats Sowjanya to clinch women’s singles title
Pranjala Yadlapalli clinched the KSLTA ITF World Tour Championships women’s singles title beating Sowjanya Bhavisetti, in Bengaluru.
- Yadlapalli, who played two back-to-back three-setters in her quarterfinal and semifinal matches and suffering cramps, dreaded yet another three-setter in the title clash against statemate Sowjanya.
- After being 3-5 down in the first set, she went all out to claim the set 7-5 and breezed through the second after initial hiccups to win the Championships. This was Pranjala’s fourth ITF title of her career.
India dethrone New Zealand to reclaim top spot in ICC Test Rankings
India beat New Zealand by 372 runs in the second test at Mumbai to win the two-match series 1-0. India mopped up the New Zealand lower order within 40 minutes of play on day four at the Wankhede Stadium. Chasing a mammoth 540, the Black Caps were bowled out for 167 in 56.3 overs.
- With this Virat Kohli and his men dethroned New Zealand in the latest ICC Test championships rankings and climbed to the top spot.India now has 124 rating points, while New Zealand lost three points and remains with 121 points. The victory in Mumbai also meant that India registered their 14th consecutive series win at home. Kohli became the first player with 50 international wins in each format of the game.
- They are followed by Australia (108), England (107), Pakistan (92), South Africa (88), Sri Lanka (83), West Indies (75), Bangladesh (49) and Zimbabwe (31).
Hamilton wins 3rd straight in chaotic Saudi Arabian F1 race
Lewis Hamilton passed Max Verstappen with six laps remaining to win the chaotic inaugural Saudi Arabian Grand Prix and pull even on points with his rival as Formula One’s thrilling championship race heads into the title-deciding finale.
- Valtteri Bottas finished third to put both Mercedes drivers on the podium. Esteban Ocon of Alpine was fourth and followed by Daniel Ricciardo of McLaren.
Argentina lift Junior Hockey WC title after defeating Germany 4-2
Argentina lifted the coveted trophy of the Junior Men’s Hockey World Cup after defeating Germany, 4-2 in the Summit Clash in Bhubaneswar.
- Argentina’s forward Lautaro Domene made all the difference in the match with his hat-trick and then in the last minute Agostini sealed the championship trophy with his brilliant goal.
Adama Barrow re-elected The Gambia’s president
Adama Barrow has comfortably won a second term in The Gambia’s presidential election, with thousands of supporters celebrating and opponents disputing the results.
- Barrow garnered 53 percent of the vote, according to results released by the electoral commission. His main challenger Ousainou Darboe won 27.7 percent.
Alka Upadhyaya appointed chairperson of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
The Government has appointed Alka Upadhyaya as chairperson of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). Upadhyaya is a 1990-batch IAS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre and is serving as Additional Secretary, Department of Rural Development.
Other Appointments :
- The Additional Secretary, Ministry of Ports, Sanjay Bandopadhyay has been appointed as chairman of Inland Waterways Authority of India.Dharmendra S Gangwar as Secretary, Department of Border Management.
- Sundeep Kumar Nayak as Director-General, National Productivity Council, Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade.
- Upma Srivastava as Secretary, National Commission for Scheduled Castes.Juthika Patankar as Secretary, Central Information Commission.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Navy launches its new large survey vessel ‘Sandhayak’ in Kolkata
The Indian Navy launched ‘Sandhayak’, the first of the four large survey vessels, in Kolkata. The ship was launched by Pushpa Bhatt, spouse of Minister of State for Defence Ajay Bhatt, who was the Chief Guest at the event.
- The primary role of these survey ships would be to conduct full-scale coastal and deep-water hydrographic survey of ports and harbours, and determination of navigational channels and routes.
- These survey vessels will have over 80 per cent indigenous content.The ships will have a retractable hangar for stowage of a utility helicopter.
Dr Sarada Menon, India’s First Woman Psychiatrist, passes away
Sarada Menon, the longest-serving head of the Institute of Mental Health, died in Chennai. She was 98.
- She is the country’s first woman psychiatrist and was honoured with Padma Bhushan in 1992. She founded the Schizophrenia Research Foundation (SCARF India) in 1984 along with psychiatrist R. Thara.
- Menon was honoured with Padma Bhushan in 1992. In 2016, she was bestowed with the Avvaiyar Award by the Tamil Nadu government.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘The Midway Battle: Modi’s Roller-coaster Second Term’ book by Gautam Chintamani
The book titled “The Midway Battle: Modi’s Rollercoaster Second Term” written by Gautam Chintamani. The book was published by Bloomsbury.
- The book is divided into three sections: the run-up to the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, the BJP’s win and the involvement of the opposition, and numerous events that occurred between 2019 and 2021, culminating in the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.