Daily Current Affairs 7 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘Surinder Kapoor Chowk’ inaugurated in Mumbai in honour of Anil Kapoor’s father
Almost eight years after the demise of veteran film producer and Anil Kapoor’s father, Surinder Kapoor, a chowk has been inaugurated on his name in Mumbai’s Chembur.
- While Sonam shared pictures of the chowk and announced it’s unveiling, Arjun penned down a heartfelt post about the journey of his grandfather.
Unemployment rate in India was 6.1% in 2017-18 as per new PLFS
country’s unemployment rate stood at a 45-year-high of 6.1 per cent in 2017-18, according to the National Sample Survey Office’s (NSSO’s) periodic labour force survey (PLFS). The report is at the centre of a controversy after two National Statistical Commission (NSC) members, including acting chairman, resigned , alleging that the government had withheld its release despite the NSC’s approval.
PM Modi announced 15-member trust named ‘Sri Ram Janma Bhoomi Tirtha Kshetra trust’ for Ayodhya temple
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday informed Parliament that the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government had set up a trust, named Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra, for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya.
- There will be 15 trustees in Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust, of which 1 will always be from Dalit community.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh announced to create 10 more Defence Attache posts
To promote defence exports and expand its defence diplomacy, India is planning to to have 10 more defence attaches to 10 different countries, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh announced to boost India’s strength in defence diplomacy.
- The government has introduced a new scheme to promote defence exports through DAs to their respective countries. Under this scheme, funds have been allocated for export promotion to 34 countries.
MoFPI sanctioned 39 Mega Food Parks & 298 Integrated Cold Chain Projects under PMKSY
The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) has sanctioned 39 mega food parks and 298 integrated cold chain projects throughout the country to fill in the gaps across the value chain and establishing the cold chain grid.
- The MoFPI is focusing on building cold chain infrastructure across the country, for seamless transfer of perishables from production to consumption areas, through the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY).
India slips to 40th rank on GIPC’s 8th International Intellectual Property (IP) Index for 2020, US tops
India has been ranked 40th out of 53 countries on a global intellectual property index released by Global Innovation Policy Center or GIPC of the US Chambers of Commerce.
- The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the intellectual property index in 2019 retaining their spots from the last year.
BANKING & FINANCE
Around 38 Cr bank accounts opened under PMJDY till January 2020 : Finance ministry
According to Minister of state for Finance,Anurag Thakur around 38 Crore bank accounts have been opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), till January 2020, Minister of State for Finance- announced.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India-Central Asia business council launched
The Modi government and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) together launched India-Central Asia Business Council.
- The nominated chambers from India, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan came together to formally declare their association to collaborate and provide an industry view to the governments of the six countries.
Rakhi Halder bags gold at 35th Senior Women’s National Weightlifting Championships
In Senior Women’s National Weightlifting Championships, Rakhi Halder of Bengal has bagged gold in the 64kg category of the 35th edition of the event in Kolkata.
- Halder lifted 93 kg in snatch and 117 kg in clean and jerk to clinch the gold medal. She was 10kg ahead of her nearest rival Harjinder Kaur of Chandigarh.
SAI and Hockey India Launch 7 High Performance Hockey Centres Across the Country
Sports Authority of India (SAI) and Hockey India on announced the establishment of the High Performance Centres in seven places under the Khelo India scheme across the country to provide state-of-the-art facilities to junior and sub-Junior players.
- The move was aimed at grooming young talent in view of 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games.
Prince Charles unveils children’s protection fund for India & Katy Perry as new Ambassador
Britain’s Prince Charles has unveiled a new children’s protection fund for India as part of British Asian Trust, the charity founded by him in 2007 to fight poverty in South Asia.
- At the trust’s annual charity dinner in London, the heir to the British throne announced popular American singer Katy Perry as the ambassador of the new fund, which will be focussed on reducing the exploitation of children by 50 per cent in India over 10 years.
Rishabh Pant appointed as brand ambassador of JSW Steel
Indian cricketer Rishabh Pant has been appointed brand ambassador for the country’s steel giant JSW Steel.
- Pant will help promote JSW’s steel products which include Colouron+ colour-coated sheets and JSW Neosteel TMT bars, for a three year period
WB chief economist Pinelopi announced resignation
World Bank chief economist Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg announced she will be leaving the institution from March 1,2020 following a controversy over the World Bank’s statistical methods.
Jeff Weiner becomes Executive Chairman of LinkedIn
LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner announced his plans to step down from the position on June 1 and become executive chairman.
- Ryan Roslansky, LinkedIn’s senior vice president of product, will succeed Weiner as CEO at the Microsoft-owned company.
Uddhav Thackeray presents lifetime achievement award to veteran journalist Raikar
Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray presented an award to senior journalist Dinkar Keshav Raikar for his contribution to journalism.
- Raikar, currently consulting editor of Lokmat group, was conferred with the lifetime achievement award instituted by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh.
Kohli most-valuable celebrity 3rd time in a row; Akshay, SRK in top 5 in Duff & Phelps’ celebrity report
For the third consecutive year, Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli has retained the top position of being the most valuable celebrity brand in the Duff & Phelps’ celebrity brand valuation report
- Bollywood star Akshay Kumar at second position, while Bollywood power couple, Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone, claimed the third spot with a brand value of $93.5 million each.
- Three other cricket stars join Kohli in the top 20 in the study by independent global advisory Duff and Phelps. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar and Rohit Sharma
Legendary Hollywood actor Kirk Douglas passes away at 103
Kirk Douglas, renowned actor and father of Hollywood actor Michael Douglas, who had a decorated career spanning over six decades, passed away. He was 103.
- Kirk Douglas became a superstar even before the term was coined, as he had more than than 92 acting credits, including some 75 movies
- In 1950, he received the first Academy Award nomination for ‘Champion’ ‘Lust for Life’ as Vincent Van Gogh.He was also awarded an honorary Oscar for 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community in the year 1996.