Daily Current Affairs 7 July 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India gets its first biofortified sorghum
India’s first biofortified sorghum (jowar), with significantly higher iron and zinc than regular sorghum, has been formally launched.
- Developed by ICRISAT it was released for cultivation by Vasantrao Naik Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth (VNMKV), Maharashtra. The improved variety ICSR 14001, released as ‘Parbhani Shakti’ by VNMKV, offers a cost-effective and sustainable solution to address micronutrient deficiency.
CBIC launches GST ‘Verify App’
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has developed a mobile app ‘GST Verify’ to protect interest of consumers.
- It is an android app to verify if the person collecting GST from the consumer is eligible to collect it or not. It also provides the details of the person/ company collecting GST.
Himachal gives subsidy on rooftop solar installations
The Himachal Pradesh government announced a subsidy of 10 per cent or Rs 4,000 per KW, whichever is less, to all domestic consumers, institutions and those in the social sectors for installation of solar power plants at the rooftop of their buildings.
- This subsidy would be additional to the subsidy given by the Central government.
Plastic bags, glasses to be banned in Uttar Pradesh from July 15
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced a ban on plastic bags, cups and glasses across the state from July 15. Adityanath, who made the announcement during a programme in Barabanki district, said that it would be a big movement to protect the environment and sought co-operation from the people.
UN cuts peacekeeping budget by $610 mn
The UN has cut its peacekeeping budget by $610 million for the current year while the monthly payment to each peacekeeper will increase by $96 per month.
UN Member States Approve USD 6.69 billion For 13 Peacekeeping Operations
The UN member states have approved a 6.69 billion US Dollar budget for 13 peacekeeping operations for the year 2018-19.
- The Committee also approved significant management reforms including the creation of two new departments focused on political and peacebuilding affairs and four stand-alone divisions for Africa.
Nepal, India To Jointly Promote Tourism
The 2nd meeting of the joint working group on tourism cooperation between India and Nepal concluded in Kathmandu, Nepal. The meeting also decided to set up an industry-led India Nepal Tourism Forum.
Naidu leaves for Singapore to attend WCS
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu left for Singapore on a three-day visit to participate in the World Cities Summit (WCS).
- Naidu will attend several bilateral meetings and hold discussions to develop Amravati as a world-class capital during his visit from July 8 – 10.
Mark Zuckerberg Becomes World’s 3rd-Richest Person
Facebook Inc. co-founder Mark Zuckerberg has overtaken Warren Buffett as the world’s third-richest person. Zuckerberg, who trails only Amazon.com Inc. founder Jeff Bezos and Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates, eclipsed Buffett as Facebook shares climbed 2.4%, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- It’s the first time that the three wealthiest people on the ranking made their fortunes from technology.
Sharad Tak wins ITF Tennis Championship
Sharad Tak lifted the trophy in the men’s singles at the just concluded Calcutta South Club Senior ITF Tennis Championship in Kolkata, West Bengal.
Guwahati hosts 58th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championship
In an attempt to promote sports culture in Assam, the state government hosted 58th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championship. The event witnessed a huge participation from athletes from across India.
- Punjab gave the best performance and secured a place in the Indian squad for Asian Games 2018.
- The athletic championship included different sports activities including 100m, 200m and 400m, 800m run for both men and women.
Mukesh Ambani re-appointed RIL Managing Director
Shareholders of Reliance Industries (RIL) have re-appointed Mukesh D. Ambani as the company’s Managing Director for a period of five years commencing from April 19, 2019.
Muthoot Pappachan Group appoints Vidya Balan as its brand ambassador
Muthoot Pappachan Group (MPG), the diversified financial services firm, has unveiled a new brand philosophy ‘Blue Soch’ (Blue is belief) under which the company aims to motivate customers to take their destiny in their own hands by helping them choose the right financial products. As a part of the transformation exercise, the group has also appointed Bollywood actor Vidya Balan as its brand ambassador to drive awareness around its offerings.
Award for ghatam maestro T.H. Vinayakram
The Music Academy announced a Special Lifetime Achievement Award to be conferred on ghatam maestro T.H. Vinayakram, fondly known as ‘Vikku’ Vinayakram.
- The earlier recipients were dancer Kamala Lakshminarayanan and violinist Lalgudi G. Jayaraman.
Dr. T.K Chand gets Knowledge Excellence Award for Outstanding Contribution in Aluminium Knowledge domain
Dr. T.K Chand received Knowledge Excellence Award from Secretary, Mines, Govt. of India for Outstanding Contribution in Aluminium Knowledge domain at the 22nd International Conference on Non-Ferrous Minerals and Metals 2018 at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
Kumaoni folk singer Kabutari Devi passes away
Famous Kumaoni folk singer Kabutari Devi has passed away following a cardiac arrest. She was 70.