Daily Current Affairs 7 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Main Arch Of World’s Highest Bridge, On Chenab River In Jammu and Kashmir, Launched
Railways has launched the main arch of the world’s highest bridge on the River Chenab in Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi district which will provide direct connectivity to the Kashmir valley.
- The iconic bridge will soar 359 metres above the bed of the River Chenab and will be 30 metres higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- The bridge forms the crucial link in the 111-km stretch between Katra and Banihal which is part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla section of the Kashmir Railway project.
- It entails carrying heavy segments from two ends of the bridge – Kauri end and Bakkal end – and involves the world longest cable crane arrangement.
Maneka Gandhi launches ‘first of its kind’ portal for sexual harassment complaints
Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi launched ‘SHe-box’ (sexual harassment electronic box), an online portal for registering complaint related to sexual harassment in non-government and government organisations.
- The SHe-Box was launched in New Delhi to ensure the effective implementation of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act (the SH Act), 2013.
- The new portal offers the facility of making online complaints of sexual harassment at workplace to all women employees in the country including government and private employees.
Coal India’s New App “Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App” launched
Shri Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways & Coal has launched ‘Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App’ benefitting customers of Coal India Limited (CIL) lifting coal through road mode.
- This app is a step towards transparency in the system of loading programme and despatch. The app also helps in logistics planning for lifting of coal in tune with the loading programmes. The also app provides date-wise, truck-wise quantity of coal delivered against the Sale Orders.
India to contribute USD 100 million to UN partnership fund
India has pledged an additional USD 100 million towards the UN partnership fund, significantly scaling up its support to sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- The India-UN Development Partnership Fund was set up earlier this year as a partnership between India and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC).
Manipur to host International Sangai fest from Nov 21
Manipur is to host the 10-day Sangai International Festival beginning November 21, that will feature polo and a 21-km half marathon among other activities, with most countries confirming their participation.
- Most of the Southeast Asian countries are expected to participate in the colourful festival.
Nirbhay missile test-fired off Odisha coast
India successfully test-fired the indigenously-designed and developed long-range subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay from an Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha’s Balasore. It failed its last test in December 2015.
- The missile, with a strike range of 1,000 km, was test-fired from a specially-designed launcher from the launch complex-3 of the ITR
Israel Centre opens at IIMB
The Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) opened its campus to an Israel Centre which is aimed at becoming a “bridge of academic collaboration” between India and Israel. The centre will be largely based on research by faculty and will also include faculty and student exchange programmes.
India Pavilion Launched at Cop 23 in Bonn
The India Pavilion at COP 23 was inaugurated by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Bonn in Germany. The Minister is leading the Indian delegation, which is participating in the 23rd Conference of Parties (COP-23) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) being held at the Bonn, Germany from November 6-17, 2017.
- India’s theme for COP 23 is “Conserving Now, Preserving Future”
Nepal opens bridge built with India’s help near China border
Nepal inaugurated a bridge built with India’s financial assistance of USD 430,626 on the Kaligandaki river near China border. The bridge at Jomsom area in Mustang district not only provides direct motorable connectivity to people of Mustang but also benefits thousands of tourists and pilgrims visiting the famous Muktinath temple and upper Mustang for trekking.
- The newly-constructed Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) bridge was inaugurated by Ambassador of India to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri.
BANKING & FINANCE
HSBC pledges $100 bn of finance by 2025 to combat climate change
HSBC has pledged to provide $100 billion in financing and investment by 2025 to help combat climate change. It will facilitate financial flows to help boost support for clean energy and lower carbon technologies.
India Signs Loan Agreement with World Bank for US$ 119 Million
A Financing Agreement for IBRD loan of US$ 119 million for the “Odisha Higher Education Programme for Excellence & Equity (OHEPEE) Project” was signed with the World Bank.
- The Objective of the project is to improve the quality of ‘students’ equitable access to selected institutions and enhance governance of the higher education system in Odisha.
Direct tax collections for 2017-2018 show 15.2% growth till October
According to Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), provisional figures of direct tax collections up to October, 2017 show that net collections are at Rs. 4.39 lakh crore which is 15.2 percent higher than the net collections for the corresponding period of last year.
Mascot of Youth Women’s World Boxing Championship unveiled
The official mascot of the 2017 AIBA Youth Womens World Boxing Championship is Assams famed one-horned rhino. The official mascot, anointed Guppy, is a female version of Assam’s one-horned rhino.
- The opening ceremony is scheduled to take place on November 19 at the Maulana Mohd. Tayebulla Hockey Stadium.
- The championship’s official logo and anthem was also launched. The anthem “Make Some Noise” has been composed by Shaan and rendered by Sunidhi Chauhan.
Veteran actor Vettoor Purushan passes away
Veteran Malayalam actor Vettoor Purushan, who had essayed roles in 70 odd films, has passed away.
Saudi prince killed in helicopter crash
Saudi Prince Mansur bin Muqrin, deputy governor of Asir, died in a helicopter crash near the border with Yemen.