Daily Current Affairs 7 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to host next ‘No Money For Terror’ meet in 2020
India will next year host the conference of the “No Money For Terror”, the ministerial-level grouping of 70 countries that focuses on countering terror financing, terror and radicalisation.
- The group, set up in 2018, is a much smaller version of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that has a single-point agenda to crack down on terror financing.
- Minister of State for Home Affairs, G Kishan Reddy, made the announcement at the ongoing 2nd ‘No Money For Terror’ Conference in Melbourne, Australia.
Cabinet approves protocol amending convention between India and Brazil for avoidance of double taxation
The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a protocol amending the convention between India and Brazil for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
Cabinet approves MoU signed with Bangladesh on withdrawal of 1.82 cusec of water from India’s Feni River
The Union Cabinet gave an ex-post facto approval for the MoU between India and Bangladesh on withdrawal of 1.82 cusec of water from Feni River by India for drinking water supply scheme for Sabroom town in Tripura.
HRD Minister and Harsimrat Kaur badal to launch 3 books on Guru Nanak Dev Ji
Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Minister for Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal will launch three books on Guru Nanak Dev Ji at Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Khalsa College, the University of Delhi, on the occasion of 550thBirth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
- The National Book Trust has published three titles: Guru Nanak Bani, Nanak Bani, and Sakhian Guru Nanak Dev to spread the message of Guru Nanak Dev’s writings among readers of Indian sub-continent.
India ranks 133 out of 167 countries in Women, Peace and Security Index
The Georgetown University’s Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS) has released its second report on Women, Peace, and Security Index. The new 2019 report ranks 167 countries for women based on three indicators – inclusion, justice and security.
- India has been ranked 133rd in the list.
- Norway claims the number one spot, followed by Switzerland, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.
Lucknow railway station gets ‘Health ATM’
The Indian Railways has installed two ‘Health ATMs’ at the Charbagh railway station in Lucknow. The kiosks, promoted by YOLO Health ATM, provide 16 health check-ups for Rs 50-100.
- There are two types of check-ups a 9-minute one that costs Rs 100, and a 6-minute one that costs Rs 50. The report is delivered instantly to the email or smartphone of the user.
GRSE delivers fast patrol vessel, ‘Annie Besant’ to Indian Coast Guard
Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) delivered Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) ICGS Annie Besant, the second in the series of five such ships, to the Indian Coast Guard.
- A medium-range vessel with a length of 50 metres, a width of 7.5 metres and displacement of around 308 tonnes, the FPV is capable of operations in the maritime zones of the country.
Lok Sabha Speaker addresses 6th Speakers’ Summit of G 20 Countries
Lok sabha speaker Om Birla composed the Indian Parliament delegation for 6th parliamentary summit of G20 countries, held in Tokyo, Japan. G20 presiding officer of parliament attended the summit.
BANKING & FINANCE
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches Instant Digital Savings and Instant FD Account
The finance service company, Ujjivan Small Finance Bank(SFB) has launched an instant digital savings account (SA) along with Fixed Deposit (FD) and Privilege Savings Account to offer distinctive banking and digital services to its customers.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IndiGo, Qatar Airways sign codeshare pact to bolster connectivity between India and Qatar
Low-cost airline IndiGo signed a one-way codeshare agreement with Qatar Airways, enabling the latter to place its code on IndiGo flights between Doha and Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad.
- This is the second codeshare agreement for IndiGo as part of its growth strategy for international markets. Qatar Airways will place its code ‘QR’ on IndiGo operated flights between these destinations.
Tech Mahindra acquires New York-based BORN Group for $95 million
IT services firm Tech Mahindra Ltd (Tech M) has acquired BORN Group, a New York-based digital content and production agency, for $95 million.
- The acquisition will help to boost the electronic and mobile commerce segment globally, and equipped to deliver enhanced user experience to customers of Tech Mahindra globally.
Fitch Solutions raises India’s FY20 fiscal deficit forecast to 3.6 per cent of GDP
Fitch Solutions raised India’s fiscal deficit forecast to 3.6 per cent of the GDP for this fiscal year, from 3.4 per cent previously, due to weak revenue collections resulting from sluggish economic growth and government’s sweeping corporate tax rate cut.
Smriti Mandhana becomes fastest Indian women to score 2000 ODI runs
Smriti Mandhana has become the fastest Indian women cricketer to smash 2,000 runs in ODIs. She achieved the feat during the third ODI against West Indies at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua and Barbuda.
Manu Bhaker bags gold medal in Asian Shooting Championships 2019
Manu Bhaker won gold medal in women’s 10m air pistol event. She put up a dominant showing, shooting 584 in qualification and 244.3 in the final to take gold.
- While Vivaan Kapoor and Manisha Keer also won the yellow metal in junior trap mixed event at the Asian Shooting Championships 2019.
Hollywood’s Superman Christopher Dennis passes away at 52
Christopher Dennis, who entertained audiences as Hollywood Boulevard’s Superman, has passed away at the age of 52. He was known for impressing everyone on the Hollywood Boulevard, dressed as Superman.
Former Maharashtra minister Babasaheb Dhabekar passes away
Former Maharashtra minister and senior Congress party leader Babasaheb Dhabekar passed away. He served as water resource minister in the 1990s during the Shiv Sena-BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) alliance government.
Noted Marathi author Girija Kir passes away
Noted Marathi author Girija Kir has passed away, following a prolonged illness. She was 86.