Daily Current Affairs 7 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
AIIMS, health ministry launch ‘eDantSeva’ website and app
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences in collaboration with the Union Health Ministry launched the first-ever website and mobile application on oral health awareness.
- The digital platform, ‘e-DantSeva’, contains information about the National Oral Health Programme, a detailed list of all the dental facility and colleges, Information, Education and Communication (IEC) material and a unique feature called the ‘Symptom Checker’.
- The website also provides GPRS route and satellite images of the facility for easier access to the people.
World Congress of Poets held in Odisha
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the 39th World Congress of Poets (WCP) at the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) Deemed to be University in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- He urged poets to use poetry that has the power to change, to transform and to bring in a better social order.
- More than 1000 poets and writers from 82 countries including India and 500 poets from Odisha took part in the WCP 2019. ‘Compassion through Poetry’ was the theme of 39th World Congress of Poets.
Haryana tops list of states with most dry districts: IMD
Haryana had the highest number of dry districts, 19 out of 21, including three where rainfall was scanty in this year’s monsoon season. The overall monsoon deficiency in Haryana was 42%, which made it the driest state in the country in the season after Manipur (-56%).
- IMD defines “deficient” rainfall in a district as rainfall that is 20% to 59% below normal.
Telangana district tops rural Swachhta survey, Faridabad jumps 69 places to rank no 2
Peddapalli in Telangana has jumped two places in the annual sanitation survey to become the cleanest district replacing Satara in Maharashtra. The most remarkable improvement was recorded by Faridabad which jumped to the second rank in the 2019 rural swachhta survey findings from a lowly 71 a year back.
- Rewari, again from Haryana, was placed third in the survey which covered 690 districts in India.
Army’s biggest mountain combat exercise ‘Him Vijay’ held in Arunachal Pradesh
Indian Army undergoing its biggest transformation has started its biggest mountain assault exercise called ‘Him Vijay’ in Arunachal Pradesh. The exercise is to test mobility, communication and coordination of such huge body of fast-moving troops in difficult terrain.
India, Maldives joint Exercise Ekuverin – 19 held at Aundh Mil Stn, Pune
Tenth edition of the Joint Military Exercise Ekuverin between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force was organised at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra. The Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces have been conducting Exercise Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Dhivehi language since 2009.
- The focus of the exercise will be on sharing of best practices and acquainting each other with the operating procedures being followed while undertaking counter insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
IRDAI sets up panel to standardise title insurance for home buyers in India
Regulator IRDAI has started the process to standardise ‘title insurance’ with an aim to promote the product which provides indemnity to property buyers against loss arising from defects in title deeds. Towards this, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has set a working group to revisit the product structure of title insurance
- The panel will be headed by T L Alamelu, Member (NL), Irdai.
Ecuador to quit OPEC in 2020 in search of bigger export revenue
Ecuador, one of the smallest members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, has announced to leave the 14-nation bloc from Jan. 1 due to fiscal problems.
BANKING & FINANCE
U GRO Capital, Bank of Baroda team up for co-origination loans to SMEs
U GRO Capital, a technology-enabled lender to small businesses, has entered into a loan co-origination partnership with Bank of Baroda. The partnership aims to offer customised lending solutions at a competitive rate of interest with a significant reduction in turn-around time to SMEs.
SBI launches debit card with EMI facility
State Bank of India launched ‘Debit Card EMI facility’ for its existing customers, whereby they can opt for an EMI tenure of minimum six months to 18 months.
Harmanpreet Kaur becomes first Indian to play 100 T20Is
Harmanpreet Kaur has become the 1st Indian to play 100 T20 International matches. She has joined the club of 10 female players who have reached the three figure mark in terms of appearances.
Naomi Osaka beats Ashleigh Barty to win China Open
Japan’s Naomi Osaka has won the China Open held in Beijing, China. She defeated world number one Ashleigh Barty with a score of 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Novak Djokovic wins Japan Open title
Novak Djokovic defeated Australia’s John Millman in the finals to win the Japan Open title. He defeated Millman with a score of 6-3, 6-2 and secured a 76th career singles tournament win.
Christine Wolf wins Hero Women’s Indian Open
Austria’s Christine Wolf has won the Hero Women’s Indian Open held at Gurugram, Haryana.
Pakistan’s Mohammad Hasnain becomes the youngest to claim T20 hat-trick
Pakistan pacer Mohammad Hasnain has become the youngest player to take a T20 hat-trick.
Indian-Origin Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa re-elected
Portugal’s Socialist Prime Minister Antonio Costa, has won the second term in the elections held in Portuguese.
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2019
The Nobel Assembly has decided to award the 2019 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine jointly to William G. Kaelin Jr. (US), Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe (UK) and Gregg L. Semenza (US) for their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability.
- William G. Kaelin Jr., Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe and Gregg L. Semenza discovered how cells can sense and adapt to changing oxygen availability. They identified molecular machinery that regulates the activity of genes in response to varying levels of oxygen.
American actress, singer, and model, Diahann Carroll passes away
US actress Diahann Carroll, who won Golden Globe and Tony awards and was nominated for an Oscar passed away.
World Habitat day
The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. The Day is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
- It was observed on 7th October 2019 this year.
- The 2019 theme is ‘Frontier Technologies as an innovative Tool to Transform Waste into Wealth’.