Daily Current Affairs 7 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
HRD Ministry awarded Institute of Eminence status to 5 public institutions
The Human Resource Development Ministry has awarded the Institute of Eminence status to 5 public institutions. The status was awarded to Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad, IIT-Madras and IIT-Kharagpur.
- Each of the above university has to sign an MoU with the HRD Ministry and will lay out its plan to achieve the objective of becoming a world-class institution. The public institutions on the list will then be eligible for a government grant of Rs 1,000 crore.
Culture Ministry launches science museum vans for ‘aspirational districts’
Aiming to take science education to students in areas without access to such services, the Union Culture Ministry rolled out 25 new mobile science museums, including one for Ladakh.
- Union Culture and Tourism Minister of State (independent charge) Prahlad Singh Patel flagged off the science museum bus in Leh as a part of the mobile science exhibition programme of the Ministry. These museums-on-wheels will travel to schools in the 115 “aspirational districts”, as named by the Centre.
UNESCO, Rajasthan govt join hands to promote state’s intangible cultural heritage
UNESCO and the Rajasthan government have joined hands to promote music, art and craft forms, and other intangible cultural heritage of the state to spur socio-economic growth of several artist communities.
- The project, which will run for around three-and-a-half years, will be implemented in Jodhpur, Barmer, Jaisalmer and Bikaner districts.
28th cycle of Indo-Thai CORPAT from Sep 5 to 15
The latest iteration of the India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the navies of the two countries, which seek to enhance bilateral ties and maritime cooperation, is being hosted from September 5 to 15 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Indian Naval Ship Kesari and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi along with Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the 28th edition of the CORPAT.
Kochi to host India International Seafood Show after 12 years
The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI) is organising the 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) at Hotel Grand Hyatt, Kochi from February 7 to 9 next year.
- This biennial show, re-visiting Kochi after a span of 12 years, will provide an Ideal platform for an interaction between Indian Exporters and overseas importers of Indian marine products, an opportunity for display and sale for manufacturers and suppliers of processing machinery, packaging systems,
WHO South-East Asia Region plans to banish measles, rubella by 2023
Member-countries of the World Health Organisation (WHO) South-East Asia Region have resolved to eliminate highly infectious childhood killer diseases measles and rubella by 2023.
- A resolution to eliminate the diseases was adopted at the 72nd session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia in Delhi.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
MCX Signs MoU with Zhengzhou Commodity Exchange for Exchange of Information
The Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCX) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Zhengzhou Commodity Exchange (ZCE), one of the leading commodity exchanges in China, for co-operation and the exchange of information.
- This MoU will facilitate cooperation between the two exchanges in areas of knowledge sharing, education & training, organizing events as well as to explore areas of mutual interests between the exchanges.
Microsoft, CBSE join hands to build AI learning for schools
Microsoft India and the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) have partnered to conduct capacity building programmes for high school teachers with an aim to integrate cloud-powered technology in K12 teaching. Meant for teachers of grades 8-10, the programme will be conducted in 10 cities across the country, starting 11 September 2019.
- This programme will provide teachers better access to the latest Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools and help them integrate technology into teaching in a safe and secure manner, thereby enhancing the learning experience and 21st century skills of all students.
Malinga becomes first bowler to take four consecutive wickets in T20Is, ODIs
Sri Lanka pacer Lasith Malinga has become the first bowler to scalp four wickets on consecutive deliveries in both T20I and ODIs.
Rashid Khan breaks 15-Year-Old Record to become Youngest Test Captain
Rashid Khan scripted history as he became the youngest ever Test captain leading Afghanistan against Bangladesh in the one-off Test.
- The record was earlier held by Zimbabwe’s Tatenda Taibu who was 20 years and 358 days old when he led his side against Sri Lanka in 2004.
Former Barcelona star Samuel Eto’o announces retirement from all forms of football
Former Barcelona and Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o has announced retirement from all forms of football at the age of 38.
Former Pakistan spinner Abdul Qadir dies of cardiac arrest at 63
Former Pakistan leg-spinner Abdul Qadir died of cardiac arrest at the age of 63. Qadir was known as the dancing bowler due to his peculiar bowling style.
‘Bombay’ producer S Sriram passes away
Producer S Sriram of Aalayam Productions has passed away in Chennai. He was in his mid-60s. Sriram had a mild heart attack four days ago and was undergoing treatment
Book titled “Phoolpur: Indian Flowers, Their Myths, Traditions and Usage” written by Jhelum Biswas Bose set to release
A new book, “Phoolpur: Indian Flowers, Their Myths, Traditions and Usage” written by Jhelum Biswas Bose is set to be released on September 8, 2019. It is published by Penguin India. The book’s foreword is written by actor Lisa Ray. The book explains the subtle power and meaning of different Indian flowers.