Current Affairs 7 April, 2017
NEFT transfers to be faster as RBI cuts clearance time
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to slash clearance time for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) in an attempt to enhance efficiency of the electronic payment system and add to customer convenience.
- The NEFT settlement cycle will be reduced from hourly batches to half hourly batches.
Canara Bank partners BSNL to upgrade bandwidth at all branches
Canara Bank, a public sector bank, has embarked upon an ambitious project of upgrading the bandwidth at all its branches to 2 Mbps in partnership with BSNL.
South Indian Bank, Flyworld Money in pact for remittances
South Indian Bank has entered into an agreement with Flyworld Money Exchange to facilitate remittances by Indian expatriates in Australia.
- Through this tie-up, NRIs in Australia could enjoy quick and cost-effective remittances to India using the SIB Express facility.
- With this agreement, SIB marks the first remittance arrangement with an exchange house in Australia.
India’s growth to accelerate to 7.4% in 2017-18: Asian Development Bank
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said that India’s growth rate will improve to 7.4% during 2017-18 and go up further to 7.6% in the next financial year, remaining ahead of China.
RBL Bank opens IFSC Banking Unit in GIFT City
RBL Bank announced the opening of its IFSC Banking Unit (IBU) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
India & Israel sign defence deals worth over 2 billion dollar
Israel has signed about two billion US dollars deal with India to supply advanced missile defence systems, bolstering bilateral military ties.
President of India inaugurates first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit 2017
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit 2017 on April 7, 2017 in New Delhi.
- The slogan of the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit is, ‘Unite for a Healthy Mind’.
Maharashtra first state to enact bill protecting journalists
In a first of its kind move in the country, the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly has passed a much-anticipated bill seeking to protect journalists and media houses from attacks, with provisions for three years’ imprisonment and/or penalty.
- All attacks on the media and media houses in the state shall now be treated as a “cognisable and non-bailable” offence, which shall be tried by a First Class Judicial Magistrate.
Rajasthan Government announces cow cess
Rajasthan government has imposed a 10% cow cess as surcharge on stamp duty for protection and propagation of cows in the state. The surcharge will be applicable on non-judicial instruments.
MP govt starts ambitious ‘Deendayal Rasoi Yojana’
Madhya Pradesh government kick-started its ambitious ‘Deendayal Rasoi Yojana’ under which subsidised meals will be available at Rs 5 per plate to people, especially the economically disadvantaged sections of society.
- The initiative is on the lines of state run Amma Canteens, started by the former chief minister J Jayalalithaa, which served subsidised food at low prices.
Global R&D Summit 2017 starts in Bengaluru
The Global R&D Summit 2017 opened in Bengaluru on the 6th April to explore the potential of research and development in catalysing economic cooperation and social development.
- With the Government of Karnataka as the State Partner and Russia as the country partner, the event opened with addresses from several dignitaries from the government and leading industry representatives about the increasing focus on innovation and the efforts being made to establish India as an R&D hub.
- The summit is organised by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
India, Russia will jointly build an innovation ecosystem as discussed in Global R&D Summit 2017
ONGC expedition embarks on Mt Everest mission
An 11-member ONGC Everest Expedition Team left for Namche Bazar in their mission to scale Mount Everest, the world’s tallest peak.
- This is the first time that an Indian corporate has undertaken a mission to send a team to climb the world’s highest peak.
Ministry approves appointment of two foreign athletics coaches
Sports Minister Mr. Vijay Goel has approved the appointment of two top foreign athletics coaches, one each in race walking and 400m race.
- Australian Dave Smith has been appointed as the coach in race walking.
- The ministry also approved the appointment of American Galina P Bukharina as coach of national 400m and 400m relay teams.
- The appointments have been made keeping in mind the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
PV Sindhu reaches career-best World No.2 ranking
Rio Olympics silver medallist P.V. Sindhu jumped three places to achieve a career-best world number two ranking in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings
- She became the second Indian woman after Saina Nehwal to break into the top-five of the world rankings.
RCB, Nazara tie up to launch online cricket game
With a view to cash in on the popularity of cricket, Royal Challengers Bangalore and gaming entity Nazara Games have come together to launch a new mobile cricket game RCB Star Cricket.
- The game is due to launch with the first RCB match on April 7.
Hisense becomes official sponsor of 2018 FIFA World Cup
Chinese electronics giant Hisense has announced its status as an official sponsor of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, becoming the first Chinese consumer electronics brand to sponsor the tournament.
Germany ‘1st NATO member’ to launch cyber command
Germany has become the first NATO member to launch a “self-contained” cyber command unit designed to shield IT and weapons systems from growing attacks.