Daily Current Affairs 7 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Delhi-Mumbai e-way to have India’s 1st 5 ‘animal bridges’ for safe passage of wildlife
To offer a safe passage to wildlife on the under-construction Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, five “animal overpasses” on the lines of “ecoducts” in the Netherlands are being planned, a first such effort in the country.
- These have been planned to ensure there are no disturbances to the Ranthambore Wildlife Corridor connecting Ranthambhore and Mukundra (Darrah) wildlife sanctuaries in Rajasthan.
- These will be natural-looking structures over the corridor and will provide safe passage for wildlife across the expressway.
Piyush Goyal Inaugurates Renaming Of Naugarh Railway Station To Siddharthnagar
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal through a video link inaugurated the renaming of Naugarh railway station to Siddharthnagar railway station situated at Siddharthnagar district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Naugarh railway station was named Siddharthanagar in view of public aspirations due to the birth of Mahatma Buddha in Lumbini near Naugarh and being associated with his life events from this region.
Gujarat to start ‘Digital Seva Setu’ to offer public welfare services online
To ensure optimum utilisation of technology for public welfare in rural areas, the state government has decided to start ‘Digital Seva Setu’ programme in all the 14,000 gram panchayats in the state.
- As part of the programme, public welfare services will be made available at the e-gram office in each panchayat and villagers will not have to go all the way to taluka or district-level TN offices.
- Under the ‘Digital Seva Setu’ program, gram panchayats will be connected to the state data center at Gandhinagar. Initially, 20 services will be offered to villagers under the programme include ration cards, affidavits and certificates for widows, residence, caste, senior citizen, language-based minority, a religious minority, nomad-denotified, and income certificates at their doorstep.
Gujarat to get country’s first two Organic Spices Seed parks
The Gujarat Chief Minister released the sanction letters to two farmer producer organisations (FPOs) for a NABARD-supported Organic Spices Seed Park for saunf (fennel seed) in the Banaskantha district and jeera (cumin seed) in Patan for promotion of organic seed value chain of the spices.
- The two spices seeds parks will create a complete value chain and provide capacity building training for the farmers.
- A total of ₹23 lakh in grant assistance has been accorded to both the parks, which will have 50 farmers each. Once ready, the specialised institutions will the collect seeds, which will be sent for testing on quality control.
India, Myanmar working towards operationalising Sittwe port by first quarter of 2021
India and Myanmar have agreed to work towards the operationalization of the Sittwe port in the Rakhine state in the first quarter of 2021.
- Both sides agreed to further strengthen their partnership in connectivity projects, capacity building, power and energy. They also agreed to deepen economic and trade ties, further facilitate people to people and cultural exchanges, and broad-base their defense exchanges across all the three services.
- It was also agreed to deepen cooperation to overcome the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
EAM Jaishankar attends Quad ministerial meeting in Tokyo
External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India Dr S Jaishankar participated in the meeting of Foreign Ministers of Quad group countries-Japan, the United States, Australia and India in Tokyo, Japan.
- This is the first meeting between Jaishankar and Pompeo since the recent border face-off between India and China along the Line of Actual Control in eastern Ladakh
- During the Quad foreign ministers’ meeting, the foreign ministers of four countries discussed regional issues and collectively affirmed the importance of maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
BANKING & FINANCE
BFSL, ICSI launch co-branded credit card for Company Secretaries
BOB Financial Solutions Ltd (BFSL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda (BoB), and the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), have launched an exclusive co-branded credit card for Company Secretaries (CS).
- The BoB-ICSI Diamond credit card will bring exclusive benefits and conveniences to Company Secretaries, who are influencers and opinion leaders in their own right, and are contributing in building a modern and Atmanirbhar (self-reliant) India.
- The card will offer benefits and conveniences, including 12 free domestic lounge visits, 5X rewards on online spends and utility payments to activation, frequency and milestone-based rewards, and exclusive insurance benefits
ADB to invest $15 Million in Avaada Energy to expand Renewable Energy Capacity in India
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will invest $15 million in Avaada Energy Private Limited (AEPL) to help the company to scale up photovoltaic solar energy generation capacity in India.The investment is ADB’s second in AEPL after a first round of $50 million made in April 2019.
- ADB is investing the $15 million via its Ordinary Capital Resources and from Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure Fund (LEAP).
- The project will contribute to the Government of India’s strategy to increase the share of renewable energy generation capacity from about 20% in 2018 to 40% by 2030. It reflects ADB’s commitment to provide cumulative climate finance of $80 billion from 2019 to 2030.
ICICI becomes the first Bank to offer debit card to customers availing LAS
ICICI Bank and Visa has partnered to launch a debit card facility for the customers who avail Loans Against Securities (LAS) from the bank.
- Thus ICICI Bank has become the first bank in India to launch this facility after RBI allowed banks to issue electronics cards to customers who avail OD (Overdraft) facility.
- Customer can make use of this card to make payments through POS (Point of Sale) and online transactions by making use of sanctioned LAS account. The maximum daily transaction limit is Rs 3 lakhs.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India to Overtake China as World’s Largest LPG Residential Market by 2030
India is expected to overtake China as the world’s largest cooking gas LPG residential sector market by 2030, Wood Mackenzie said.
- Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) demand in the residential sector will continue to see sustainable growth at a cumulative annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.3 per cent, reaching 34 million tonnes (MT) in 2030 as households’ dependence on solid biomass diminishes in the long run supported by rising average household incomes and urban population.
- Although nationwide LPG coverage has reached 98 per cent, up 42 per cent from 2014, usage is still low. Average annual cylinder refills have not kept up with the pace of new connections, with average consumption remaining below the benchmark of 12 cylinders.
Google launches ‘Make Small Strong’ initiative in India to help small, local businesses
Technology giant Google has launched a ‘Make Small Strong’ initiative in India to help small and local businesses across the country.
- The new initiative launched by Google will be aiming to support those small businesses, Kirana stores, vegetable vendors who have suffered massive loss during the lockdown period which was imposed to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
- The tech giant has noted that it has joined hands with Zoho and Instamojo for this campaign.
Jordan’s Prime Minister Omar Razzaz resigns
Jordan’s Prime Minister Omar al Razzaz submitted his resignation to Jordan’s King Abdullah.
- King Abdullah accepted his resignation but asked him to stay on as a caretaker premier until he designates a successor to oversee parliamentary elections on Nov. 10.
- The monarch dissolved parliament at the end of its four-year term in a move that under constitutional rules meant the government had to resign within a week.
MA Ganapathy Appointed Director General of Civil Aviation Security
A 1986 batch IPS officer of Uttarakhand cadre,M A Ganapathy has been appointed as the Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) for a tenure up to his superannuation on February 29, 2024
- The post of BCAS chief fell vacant after Rakesh Asthana was appointed as the Director General of Border Security Force in August.
Govt Appoints Dinesh Kumar Khara as SBI Chairman
The central government appoints Dinesh Kumar Khara as chairman of State Bank of India (SBI) for a period of three years with effect from the date of his taking over charge of the post on or after October 7, 2020 or until further orders, whichever is earlier
- He replaces Rajnish Kumar, who completed his three-year term.
3 Scientists win Nobel Physics in Prize for Black Hole Research
The 2020 Nobel Prize for physics has been awarded to Roger Penrose for black hole discovery and Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez for discovering “a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy.”
- The three laureates share this year’s Nobel Prize in Physics for their discoveries about one of the most exotic phenomena in the universe, the black hole.
- The prestigious award comes with a gold medal and prize money of 10 million Swedish kronor (more than $1.1 million), courtesy of a bequest left 124 years ago by the prize’s creator, Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ICG Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’ Launched to Enhance Coastal Security
The seventh offshore patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG), ‘Vigraha’ was formally unveiled at the Kattupalli port. The vessel is expected to be inducted into the Coast Guard after completion of extensive trials and testing for the equipment and machinery by March 2021.
- The vessel, built by Larsen and Toubro, is the last in the series of seven OPVs contracted to the company by the Ministry of Defence in 2015.
- The OPV is 98 metres long, 15 metres wide, has 3.6 m draught, 2140T displacement and a range of 5,000 nautical miles.
China to send world’s first asteroid mining robot into space in November
A private company, Origin Space in Beijing (China) is set to send out the world’s first asteroid mining robot into space in November 2020. The robot has been named ‘asteroid mining robot’ by the space start-up in China.
- The asteroid mining robot will be launched into space by a Chinese Long March series rocket.
- The goal of the mission will be to assess the asteroid mining robot’s capabilities, to find out how well it can identify and extract valuable resources vis-à-vis asteroid mining.
C-DAC to commission India’s fastest HPC-AI Supercomputer ‘PARAM Siddhi – AI’ with NVIDIA
The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) will be commissioning India’s largest HPC-AI supercomputer ‘PARAM Siddhi – AI’.
- This initiative will place India among the top countries in global AI supercomputing research and innovation.
- The initiative was headed by Abhishek Das, Scientist and Program Director (HPC-AI Infrastructure Development) at C-DAC, who conceived the idea and designed the architecture for the largest HPC-AI infrastructure in India.
India-France to launch Constellation of Maritime Surveillance Satellites
The constellation of maritime surveillance satellites for the Indian Ocean Region, to be jointly launched by India and France, will be able to trace illegal spillage of oil by ships.
- The main purpose of this is to trace illegal spillage of oil by ships. The Indian Ocean Region has several Sea Lanes of Communication (SLOC) and used by many ships every day.
- The satellites will be operated jointly by France and India to monitor ships in the Indian Ocean. The monitoring centre will be based in India.
Goa launches ‘DISHTAVO’ YouTube channel for e-learning in higher education
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched DISHTAVO(Digital Integrated System for Holistic Teaching And Virtual Orientations), an online learning platform involving YouTube channel, which is first of its kind initiative in the country.
- DISHTAVO is a comprehensive and holistic program to create e-content in the form of video lectures of syllabus pertaining to the colleges affiliated to the Goa University.
- Teachers from colleges across Goa, under this project participated in recording lectures in all higher education disciplines and degree programs including BA, BSc, BCom, Music, Home Science and so on.
Congress Leader Naseeb Pathan passes away
Uttar Pradesh Congress leader and two-term member of the U.P. Legislative Council, Naseeb Pathan, who had recently hit the headlines for asking for the expulsion of veteran leader Ghulam Nabi Azad, died of COVID-19 at Lucknow.
- Hailing from Bijnor in Uttar Pradesh, he began his political career with party leader Sanjay Gandhi and was twice elected the MLC in the state.
Afghanistan batsman Najeeb Tarakai passes away
Afghanistan’s top-order batsman Najeeb Tarakai has died of the injuries he sustained in a road accident last weekend. He was 29.
- Tarakai represented the national team in 12 T20Is and one ODI.
- The right-handed batsman made his international debut at the 2014 T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
- His highest international score was 90 which came against Ireland in a T20 International series in March 2017