Daily Current Affairs 8 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Union min inaugurates genome editing, training centre in Mohali
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated “National Genome Editing & Training Centre” at National Agri-food Biotechnology Institute (NABI) Mohali, Punjab.
- The Minister also, at the same time, inaugurated a 4-day International Conference on Food and Nutritional Security 2023: – iFANS.
- “National Genome Editing & Training Centre” (NGETC) is a one-roof state-of-the-art facility that will serve as a national platform to cater to the regional needs to adapt different genome editing methods, including CRISPR-Cas9 mediated genome modification.
Chhattisgarh celebrates Cherchera Festival
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel celebrates the traditional Cherchera festival at Dudhadhari Math in the state capital Raipur.
- The traditional Cherchera festival is celebrated on the full moon night of ‘Paush’ Hindu calendar month in the happiness of taking the crops to their homes after cultivation.
- According to mythological belief, on this day Lord Shankar begged from Mata Annapurna, so people used to donate green vegetables along with paddy on this day.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI opens sandbox to 6 firms to test anti-fraud solutions
The Reserve Bank of India has selected six entities, including Bahwan Cybertek, Crediwatch Information Analytics and HSBC, for the ‘Test Phase’ under regulatory sandbox for the theme ‘Prevention and Mitigation of Financial Frauds’.
- The selected entities will commence testing of their products from February 2023.
- The regulatory sandbox allows the regulator, innovators, financial service providers and customers to conduct field tests to collect evidence on the benefits and risks of new financial products.
Dhanlaxmi Bank launches retail internet banking services, mobile banking app
Dhanlaxmi Bank has launched all new retail internet banking – DhanDelight, and retail mobile banking app – DhanSmart . The new services are built on omni channel platform having various features covering different banking needs of customers.
- The latest UI (User Interface) and UX (User Experience) provides a refreshing user experience and will enable customers to do the financial transactions more securely.
- The mobile app, DhanSmart, also offers dark theme to improve visual ergonomics, reduce eye strain and helps in conserving battery power.
‘Hockey Wali Sarpanch’ inks pact with NABARD to strengthen farmers in Rajasthan’s village
Neeru Yadav, fondly known as ‘Hockey Wali Sarpanch’ has taken a new initiative to strengthen farmers of Lambi Ahir Village. Yadav has inked a pact with NABARD to start the Farmers Producers Organisation (FPO)with the assistance of SIIRD (Society of Indian Institute of Rural Development).
- FPO is a legal entity formed by primary producers. Producers such as farmers, milk producers, fishermen, weavers, rural artisans, craftsmen etc, can form a company basis equity share.
- ‘Sachhi Saheli Mahila Agro Producer Company Limited’ is the 15th such FPO launched by NABARD in Rajasthan where Yadav has taken the responsibility as Board of Directors of this company.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Surinder Chawla appointed as MD & CEO of Paytm Payments Bank
Paytm Payments Bank has received banking regulator RBI’s nod to appoint Surinder Chawla as its Managing Director and CEO, the company said.
- The RBI, however, continues to bar Paytm Payments Bank from on-boarding new customers.
- Before joining PPBL, Chawla was working with RBL Bank, where he served as Head – Branch Banking and focused on expanding the CASA base, fee revenue, and cross-selling across channels.
Veteran actress-director Aparna Sen receives lifetime achievement award at Jaipur Film Fest
Veteran actor-director Aparna Sen was honoured with the lifetime achievement award at the opening ceremony of the 15th edition of the Jaipur International Film Festival.
- After receiving the honour, Sen said the Lifetime Achievement Award is not the end road of her journey as a creative person.
- Grammy award winner Ricky Kej, film script writer Kamlesh Pandey, screenplay writer-film producer Haider Hale and others were present at the opening ceremony.
Delhi, Bengaluru among 10 best-performing airports globally in 2022: Cirium
Two Indian airports, Bengaluru and Delhi, have featured in the list of top ten global airports in terms of on-time performance (OTP).
- Similarly, three Indian airlines — IndiGo, AirAsia India, and Vistara have been listed among the top ten airlines in Asia-Pacific, according to aviation analytics company Cirium.
- On-time arrival performance (when a passenger flight/aircraft arrives at the gate within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time) was used to rank airlines, and on-time departure performance (when a passenger flight/aircraft departs the gate within 15 minutes of the scheduled departure time) was used to rank airports.
Veteran Sinologist Janaki Ballabh passes away
Veteran Sinologist Janaki Ballabh, the first Indian to have granted long-term residency in China along with his wife, has passed away due to age-related health problems. He was 94.
- Ballabh was married to Shayma Ballabh, who worked as the first Hindi announcer at Radio Beijing decades ago. She also translated a number of Chinese children’s books into Hindi.
- In 1961, he was given the Peace and Friendship Award by the then-Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma penned his first book titled “Chief Minister’s Diary”
Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma to release a book on his days in the office as a CM to mark the completion of one year of his government in May.
- The book named “Chief Minister’s diary” is likely to be a chronicle of his days in office and events of the government in the first year of the BJP led government under him.