Daily Current Affairs 8 April 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NHAI achieved record 3,979 km highways construction in FY 19-20
India with a total road network of 5.5 mn Km comprises of national & state highways and urban & rural roads. National highways account for 2% of the total road network and carry over 40% of total traffic.
- NHAI has accomplished construction of 3,979 km of national highways in the financial Year 2019-20. This is the highest ever highway construction achieved in a financial year.
“Swasth ke Sipahi” delivers essential medicines under PMBJP
Pharmacists, popularly known as “Swasth ke Sipahi”, of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra , are deliverying essential services and medicines at doorstep of patients and elderly under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) of the Government of India.
- Working as part of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendras (PMJAK), they are extending essential services by making available quality generic medicines at affordable prices to the common People of the country and the elderly persons at their doorstep to fight Corona pandemic.
MHRD launches “Samadhan” challenge to fight against covid19
The Innovation Cell of the Ministry of Human Resource has launched an online challenge ‘Samadhan’ to invite ideas and innovations that can help fight against the novel coronavirus that has infected over 4,700 people in India.
- The challenge is open for student innovators, researchers, educators and startups to participate. The last date for applications is April 14.
HRD Ministry has designated DigiLocker as National Academic Depository (NAD)
The Ministry of Human Resource Development has designated DigiLocker as the sole National Academic Depository (NAD).
- The ministry has directed the University Grants Commission to implement NAD as a permanent scheme within DigiLocker.
- NAD will be implemented as a permanent scheme without the levy of any user charges by DigiLocker through the Ministry of Electronics and IT.
4-year-old Malayan tiger “Nadia” tests positive for coronavirus
A tiger at New York’s Bronx Zoo has tested positive for COVID-19, and is believed to have contracted the virus from a caretaker who was asymptomatic at the time.
- The four-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia along with her sister Azul, two Amur tigers and three African lions all developed dry coughs and are expected to fully recover.
USAID announces $2.9 million aid to India to fight Coronavirus
The US government, through its aid agency USAID, has announced a grant of $2.9 million to India to help it fight the coronavirus pandemic.
- US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster said the assistance will further support India’s response to COVID-19.
- The funds announced are going to help India in its fight against COVID-19 and to also provide care for those who are affected and help the local communities with the tools to stop the pandemic spreading in the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
SIDBI offers emergency credit facility of up to Rs 1 cr to SMEs
The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) said it will provide emergency working capital of up to Rs 1 crore to small and medium enterprises against their confirmed government orders.
- The new loan product, SIDBIAssistance to Facilitate Emergency response against coronavirus (SAFE) plus will be offered collateral free and disbursed within 48 hours. .
- The loans will be offered at an interest rate of 5 per cent.
- SIDBI further said it has enhanced the loan limit for MSMEs to Rs 2 crore under its SAFE initiative.
Indian economy likely to grow 2% in FY21: Icra
Icra Ratings sharply cut the country’s GDP forecast amid the COVID-19 crisis and expects the economy to grow at just 2 per cent in the current fiscal.
- The Indian economy is likely to witness a sharp contraction of 4.5 per cent (de-growth) during Q4 FY20 and is expected to recover gradually.
Shafali Verma named as brand ambassador by PepsiCo
Beverage major PepsiCo has roped in 16-year old Indian cricketer Shafali Verma as one of its brand ambassadors for one year,
- Pepsi will be Shafali’s first contract with a major brand. The beverage firm recently signed Bollywood star Salman Khan as its face for two years.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Chhattisgarh Police create app ‘Rakhsa Sarv’ for quarantined people
In a bid to contain the spread of coronavirus, police in Chhattisgarh Janjgir-Champa district have created a mobile application ‘Rakhsa Sarv’ to keep a tab on those violating the home quarantine order.
- The police, with the help of Noida-based startup Mobcoder, developed the app ‘Rakhsa Sarv’, which enables them to track the quarantined people through Google Map.