Daily Current Affairs 8 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre releases Rs 2400 cr to Uttar Pradesh to accelerate implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission
The Centre has released two thousand 400 crore rupees to Uttar Pradesh to accelerate implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the State.
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has assured full assistance to the State for making provision of tap water supply in every rural home by 2024.
Karnataka becomes first state to issue order to implement New Education Policy 2020 from current academic session
Karnataka Government has issued an order to implement the National Education Policy from the current academic year 2021-22. Higher Education Minister Dr CN Ashwatha Narayana has said that Karnataka has become the first state in the country to issue an order to implement the new Education policy.
- The National Education Policy that aims at increasing the Gross Enrollment ratio in higher education from 26.8 percent in 2018 to 50 percent by 2035 will bring in sweeping reforms in the area of education.
- Once implemented the National Skills Qualification Framework will become part of the graduation programme. They can get a maximum of 40 percent credits through official online courses and 50 percent credits from any University. They have the option to discontinue and integrate courses after a specific period. A single regulator will oversee higher education in the country.
Meghalaya govt to provide free treatment to COVID-19 patients under ‘Out of Pocket Treatment’ scheme
Health Minister Prestone Tynsong after a meeting told reporters that all expenses for treatment of COVID 19 patients will be covered under the scheme and it will be known as ‘Out of Pocket Treatment’.
- The decision was taken after MHIS put up a proposal to cover COVID patients under the scheme. Earlier 60 percent of the cost for COVID treatment was covered under MHIS but now all expenses under five categories will be covered.
- He further said that the rates calculated are approved by the Government and will be implemented from 15th August 2021.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Himachal Pradesh State Handicrafts & Handloom Corporation signs MoU with Flipkart for online sale
The Himachal Pradesh State Handicrafts and Handloom Corporation has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with online retailer Flipkart for online sale and promotion of the products made by local artisans and craftsmen to customers across the globe.
- The pact signed between two is an important step towards the promotion of rural economy and boost the sale of handicraft and handloom products of the state.
- It may be recalled that MoU would provide an e-Commerce platform for over 20,000 artisans associated with handloom and handicrafts in the State.
India wins 7 medals at Tokyo Olympics
Olympics 2021 saw the introduction of new competitions including 3×3 basketball, freestyle BMX, and Madison cycling, as well as further mixed events. These Games saw karate, sport climbing, surfing, and skateboarding make their Olympic debuts, as well as the return of baseball and softball for the first time since 2008.
- A total of around 11,000 athletes from 206 countries participated in 33 sports in Tokyo Olympics 2021. The mascot of Tokyo Olympics is named as Miratoiwa. The medals for Tokyo Olympics 2021 are made from recycled electronics. 5,000 gold, silver, and bronze medals were made from recycled electronics sourced from all over Japan.
- Prominent J-pop artists have been tapped for a new song called “Colorful,” the official song produced by Team Coca-Cola for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games,
- Grammy Award winner composure AR Rahman and young singer Ananya Birla collaborated to present the official song of the Indian contingent for the Tokyo Olympics, titled Cheer4India: Hindustani Way.
- The Tokyo Olympics drew to a close, with USA topping the leaderboard with a total of 113 medals – 39 gold, 41 silver and 33 bronze. USA is followed by China(88) and Japan(58) in second and third respectively.
- At the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, India has secured 48th position with seven medal winners and recorded its best-ever tally at the quadrennial event. Two of these are Silver medals and three are bronze medals and one Gold medal.
- This is the first time that India has managed to secure seven medals across varied sporting events. With 126 athletes across 18 sports disciplines, India had sent its biggest-ever contingent to Tokyo Olympics. Indian athletes participated in 69 cumulative events across, the highest ever for the country.
- After their Tokyo Olympics showing, The Indian men’s and women’s hockey teams jumped one spot each to achieve their highest-ever world rankings at number 3 and 8 respectively.
- Boxing great Mary Kom and men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh were India’s flag bearers in the opening ceremony.
- Bajrang Punia was India’s flag bearer for the closing ceremony.
- IOC president Thomas Bach passed the Olympig flag to the mayor of Paris, the next hosts of the Olympics.
India Olympics winner list
1.Neeraj Chopra(Javelin throw) – Gold
2.Ravi Kumar Dahiya(Wrestling – 57 KG) – Silver
3.Mirabai Chanu(Weight Lifting – 49 Kg Women)-Silver
4.PV Sindhu(Women’s Singles Badminton) -Bronze
5.Lovlina Borgohain(Women’s Welterweight Boxing) – Bronze
6.Hockey Indian Hockey Team-Bronze
The men’s hockey team won bronze, which is the first Olympic medal for India in the sport in 41 years.
7.Bajarang Punia(Wrestling – 65 Kg) – Bronze
AIR Live streams on NewsOnAir App getting popular across the world
All India Radio Live streams on NewsOnAir App are getting popular across the world. In the latest world rankings on the popularity of AIR Live-Streams on NewsOnAir App , Fiji displaced United Kingdom to follow United States and Australia in the top three ranks.
- Over 240 Radio Services of All India Radio are live-streamed on NewsOnAir App, have a large number of global listeners , in more than 85 countries and eight thousand cities across the globe.
- In top Global AIR streams AIR Kochi FM Rainbow made entry into top ten ranks, while AIR Tamil made a comeback. Similarly, AIR News 24*7 has moved up a notch to 6th position in the rankings.
- Vividh Bharati continues to be the most favourite in all top 10 countries. Similarly, AIR News 24*7 is quite popular in Nepal and Bhutan. AIR Marathi Service-Asmita Mumbai is popular among the European countries like Sweden, Germany, UK and Ireland.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
SoJE Minister Dr Virendra Kumar launches PM-DAKSH Portal & PM-DAKSH Mobile App
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dr Virendra Kumar launched PM-DAKSH Portal and PM-DAKSH Mobile App developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in collaboration with NeGD, to make the skill development schemes accessible to the target groups.
- Through these portal and app the youth of the target groups will now be able to avail the benefits of skill development training programmes more easily.
- The Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi, PM-DAKSH Yojana is being implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment from 2020-21.Under the Scheme, eligible target group are being provided skill development training programmes on Up-skilling or Re-skilling, Short Term Training Programme, Long Term Training Programme and Entrepreneurship Development Program.
Senior BJP Leader and Former MP Minister Babulal Jain passes away
Senior BJP leader and former Madhya Pradesh Minister Babulal Jain died of prolonged illness at a private hospital in Ujjain. He was 88.
- The four-time MLA was first elected to the state Assembly in 1977 from Ujjain North constituency, and was later elected thrice from the Mahidpur Assembly segment.
- The BJP leader was made the chairman of Samanya Nirdhan Kalyan Ayog with a minister’s rank in 2007, and later appointed as the deputy chairman of the MP State Planning Commission.
79th anniversary of Quit India movement
August 8,2021 is the 79th anniversary of Quit India The day is observed as August Kranti Day every year.
- On this day in 1942, father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi gave the clarion call of Do or Die to all Indians to drive away Britishers from the country. The movement had begun from Gawalia Tank in Mumbai.
- As part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav being celebrated to mark 75 years of Independence, National Archives of India is organizing an exhibition on the Quit India Movement on its 79th anniversary.
National Handloom Day
Every year August 7 is observed as National Handloom Day.
- It is celebrated annually to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement launched in 1905.
- This day is observed annually to create awareness about the Handloom Industry amongst the public at large and its contribution to socio-economic development.