Daily Current Affairs 8 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Gujarat to set up Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center in state
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced the setting up of the Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) to identify, nurture and promote children’s innovation in the state. He announced this at the felicitation ceremony of Children’s Innovation Festival (CIF) held at Swarnim Sankul in Gandhinagar.
J&K registers highest Inpatient Department care in country
Jammu and Kashmir has registered the highest Inpatient Department, IPD care in the country. According to the state-wise fact sheets released by National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC), New Delhi, overall all women in J&K are availing Antenatal Care (ANC) services.
Gujarat: Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurates International Kite Festival 2020
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated International Kite Festival 2020 in Ahmedabad. As a part of the official celebration of ‘Uttarayan’ or ‘Makar Sankranti’, Ahmedabad has been hosting the International Kite Festival since 1989.
4th ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ kicks off in West Bengal
The 4th edition of ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ has started in Buxa National Park in West Bengal’s, district Alipurduar. More than 50 birdwatchers from pan India and abroad have registered in the festival. Over 300 rare species including the Sultan Tit, Greater Spotted Eagle and Great Hornbill visit the national park during this festival.
Indian Navy starts 1st ‘Maha-Navy Connect 2020
Indian Navy’s 1st Maha-Navy Connect 2020 Tri-Dimensional Expedition started from Mumbai, Maharashtra. The aim of the expedition is to promote the maritime heritage of India and spread awareness about Coastal Security amongst the coastal communities in Maharashtra.
Om Birla attends CSPOC Standing Committee Meeting in Ottawa
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the Standing Committee Meeting of the Conference of Speakers and Presiding Officers of the Commonwealth (CSPOC) in the Canadian capital Ottawa.
- Birla is leading an Indian Parliamentary delegation — comprising of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman Harivansh and Lok Sabha Secretary-General Snehlata Shrivastava — to the 25th CSPOC being held in Ottawa from January 5 to January 11.
China launches new communication experiment satellite
China successfully launched a new communication technology experiment satellite with Long March-3B carrier rocket from Xichang city in southwest China.
- On January 5, China’s heaviest and most advanced satellite, Shijian-20, reached its fixed position in geosynchronous orbit, marking the first successful flight of DFH-5 satellite platform.
Indian High Commission organizes “Art Exhibition” in Bangladesh
The Indian High Commission has organized the “Art Exhibition” in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The “Art Exhibition” has been organized to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The art exhibition constituted unique photographs of Mahatma Gandhi from his initial days in South Africa to numerous movements he participated in India.
BANKING & FINANCE
2 Indian banks to end their operations in Sri Lanka
The two Indian private sector lenders Axis Bank and ICICI Bank will close their operations in Sri Lanka after the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has permitted. The licenses issued by Central Bank of Sri Lanka will be cancelled once the winding-up operations are complete. The two banks are no longer to carry their banking operations, including accepting deposits from the public in Sri Lanka.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt estimates India’s GDP growth at 5%, lowest in 11 years
India’s GDP growth has been forecasted to dip to an 11-year low of 5% in the current fiscal, mainly due to poor showing by manufacturing and construction sectors, according to National Statistical Office (NSO)
- According to back series GDP data released by the government in November 2018, the previous low in economic growth was recorded at 3.1% in 2008-09.
Ladakh lifts 7th National Ice Hockey Championship Women trophy
Ladakh lifted the 7th National Ice Hockey Championship Women trophy. The match was held at the Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink.
- The tournament was organised by the Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) in association with the Ladakh winter sports club.
Virat Kohli overtakes Rohit Sharma to become highest scorer in T20I
Indian skipper Virat Kohli surpassed Rohit Sharma to become the highest run-scorer in T20I during the match against Sri Lanka.
- Virat now has 2,663 runs in the shortest format of the game. Also, the 31-year-old completed 1,000 runs as a captain in T20I cricket.
Weightlifter Sarbjeet Kaur banned for four years for doping violation
Weightlifter Sarbjeet Kaur has been banned for four years by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) for a doping violation.
Bihar’s 19-year Rugby Player Sweety Kumari Declared ‘International Young Player Of The Year’
The 19-year-old Rugby player Sweety Kumari has been crowned as the ‘international young player of the year.’
- Sweety, who hails from Nawada village in Barh Tehsil of Patna, has been given the immense status by women’s rugby website Scrumqueens.
Italy World Cup winner Daniele De Rossi retires from football
Italian Veteran footballer Daniele De Rossi announced his retirement. He won the 2006 world cup title for Italy after defeating France. He has played 117 games for Italy from 2004-17.
Amit Shah releases a book on life of PM, ‘Karmayoddha Granth’
Union Home Minister Amit Shah released a book ‘Karmayoddha Granth’ on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and said he personifies qualities of a statesman, is a hard taskmaster and an ideal leader who leads by example.
- “A ‘Karmayoddha’ is man with a beating heart for people, a statesman, a hard taskmaster, an able administrator and an ideal leader who leads by example. All these qualities have been personified by Narendra Modi”, Shah said.
Prakash Javadekar confers First Antarrashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman to 30 media organizations
Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Prakash Javadekar, conferred the First Antarrashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman to 30 media organizations.
- “Addressing the gathering, Javadekar described the award as a unique honour to media organizations that contributed to the spread of Yoga for the benefit of society,” a statement from Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.
Padma Bhushan awardee Akbar Padamsee passes away
Celebrated painter and artist Akbar Padamsee has passed away. One of the most versatile and prolific artists of the modern age, Akbar Padamsee, a long-time resident of Isha, passed away at 91, owing to natural causes arising out of ageing.
Journalists’ Day celebrated on 6th January in Maharashtra
Journalists’ Day is being celebrated on 6th of January every year in the state of Maharashtra. The day is celebrated in the memory of late thespian journalist Balshashtri Jambhekar. Balshastri Jambhekar, is also known as ‘The Father of Marathi Journalism’, for his efforts in starting journalism in Marathi language.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs