Daily Current Affairs 8 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Sri Lanka inaugurates first model village built with Indian assistance
A model village at Ranidugama in Gampaha built with Indian assistance as part of a housing project meant for war affected people and estate workers was inaugurated in Sri Lanka.
- India has partnered with the Ministry of Housing and Construction and Cultural Affairs to build 100 model villages consisting of a total of 2,400 houses all across Sri Lanka with Indian grant of Rs 1,200 million (USD 17.5 million).
World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute starts in Dhaka
The world’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute in Dhaka, Bangladesh has started functioning.
- Inaugurating the OPD of the institute yesterday Health and Family Welfare Minister of Bangladesh Zahid Maleque said about 6 lakh people suffer burn injuries in Bangladesh every year who will benefit from the institute.
- Named Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute, the 500-bed hospital with 50 ICU and 12 operation theatres will provide advanced treatment to burn patients in Bangladesh.
- The institute has been built at a cost of over 500 crore Taka.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Popshot: World’s first interactive smart phone browser launches in India
Popshot, the world’s first ever interactive browser built for smart phones, has been launched in India.
- Popshot is a smart app that changes the way people explore, share, and save the web through a first-of-its-kind interactive screenshot feature. This promises to redefine the users’ digital capabilities in exploring, bookmarking and sharing content by making it more visual, organized and direct.
Hima bags gold at Kutno Athletics Meet, second in a week
Indian sprinter Hima Das finished at the top in women’s 200m at Kutno Athletics Meet and bagged her second gold in a week.
- Earlier Hima had won gold at the 200m women’s race in the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix.
- Apart from Hima, Muhammed Anas and MP Jabir also clinched the gold medal.
- In men’s 200m race, national record holder Anas completed the race with a timing of 21.18 seconds.
- In men’s 400m hurdles, MP Jabir won the gold in 50.21 seconds.
Vinesh, Divya win gold; Pooja bags silver at the Wrestling Grand Prix of Spain
Putting up a dominating show, India’s top wrestler Vinesh Phogat won her first gold medal after shifting to 53kg category, while Divya Kakran claimed the top honours in the 68kg category at the Grand Prix of Spain.
- World Championship bronze medallist Pooja Dhanda (57kg) had to be content with a silver after losing the title clash to Russia’s Veronika Chumikova.
Rahul Dravid appointed as head of National Cricket Academy
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) appointed former cricketer Rahul Dravid as the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA), Bengaluru.
- Dravid will look after all cricket related activities at the NCA and he will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and the support staff at the academy.
IOC lifts ban on Kuwait ahead of Tokyo 2020 Games
Kuwait has been cleared to compete in the 2020 Olympics after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced it was lifting the suspension it imposed on the Kuwait Olympic Committee (KOC) four years ago.
- Kuwait was suspended in October 2015 following “undue government interference after a sports law that was not compatible with the basic principles that govern the Olympic Movement was passed in the country”.
Kyriakos Mitsotakis sworn in as Greece’s new PM
Centre-right candidate Kyriakos Mitsotakis was sworn-in as the new prime minister of Greece, a day after his New Democracy party won a landslide victory in the country’s parliamentary elections, putting an end to the rule of leftist Syriza government.
Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released book titled Vivekadeepini
The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released a book titled Vivekadeepini, a summary of Prashnottara Ratnamalika written by Adi Shankaracharya, one of India’s greatest spiritual and literary geniuses.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs