Daily Current Affairs 8 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
10 projects worth Rs 301.54 crores sanctioned for food processing sector
10 projects worth Rs 301.54 crore (US$ 43.14 million) with total grant-in-aid of Rs 67.29 crore (US$ 9.63) were sanctioned in a meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Approval Committee (IMAC) held under the Chairpersonship of Union Food Processing Industries Minister Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal in New Delhi.
- The projects were sanctioned under the ‘Agro Processing Cluster Scheme’ of KisanSampadaYojana of MoFPI. These projects are likely to generate employment for ten thousand people and benefit nearly forty thousand farmers
5th BIMSTEC Summit 2020 to be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka in September
Sri Lanka will host the next Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit in early September 2020.
- Sri Lanka is the Chair of BIMSTEC from 2018 to 2020. Though Sri Lanka has already hosted three Working Committee meetings, this will be the first one under the new Administration.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI to pick up 49 pc stake in Yes Bank
State Bank of India will pick up 49 per cent stake in the crisis-ridden Yes Bank under a government-approved bailout plan, with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman assuring that depositors’ money is safe.
- SBI has already obtained an ‘in-principle’ approval of the board to explore investment opportunity in Yes Bank.
Tata AIA Life to provide football coaching to under-privileged girls under its ‘Bachhpan Ka Rakshakaran’ program
Tata AIA Life Insurance, through its unique initiative ‘Bachhpan ka Rakshakaran’, in association with Oscar Foundation, aims to infuse interest in education for the under-privileged girls, using football coaching as a medium.
- Tata AIA Life Insurance kick-started the initiative by hosting hosted a Football Coaching Match for under-privileged girls of Oscar Foundation.
Paytm, Hyderabad Metro tie up for QR-based tickets
Hyderabad Metro Rail Ltd has launched Paytm’s QR-code-based metro ticketing system at the Metro Rail Bhavanto creating urban mobility solutions that are future-ready
- Passengers can now simply purchase a QR ticket on their Paytm app, which can be displayed at the Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates to proceed for the journey
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Amazon partners with NULM to empower self-help groups
E-commerce giant Amazon has tied-up with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under the National Urban Livelihoods Mission to train, support and provide market access to artisans and self-help groups (SHGs) with the aim of helping small businesses in exploring wide markets through the platform.
- The agreement will help promote around four lakh women in self help groups which represent all urban local bodies across the country.
Wasim Jaffer announces retirement from all forms of game
Former India opener Wasim Jaffer announced retirement from all forms of cricket, drawing curtains on his illustrious career spanning over two decades.
- The 42-year-old Jaffer has played 31 Tests and scored 1,944 runs with an average of 34.11. He has five hundreds and 11 fifties in the longest format, with 212 as his highest score.
Indian runner Prachi provisionally suspended after testing positive for Oxandrolone
Indian runner (400m) Prachi has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for the presence of a steroid Oxandrolone, the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA). The provisional suspension comes into effect from February 20, 2020.
- Prachi’s sample was collected in Patiala on December 30, 2019. She waved off her right for B sample analysis and hence her case has been forwarded to the Anti Doping Disciplinary Panel for adjudication.
Indian tech entrepreneur, Akanksha Hazari features in ‘100 Women Using their Power to Empower’ list alongside Melinda Gates, Greta Thunberg, Beyonce
Akanksha Hazari, CEO and founder of m.Paani, is the only Indian tech entrepreneur to be chosen and featured in this unprecedented art exhibition and companion coffee table book, celebrating 100 global women leaders who are redefining power.
- Akanksha will be featured in the series alongside the likes of Melinda Gates, Malala Yousafzai, Greta Thunberg, Beyonce, Serena Williams and many other inspiring women.
- Vital Voices: 100 Women Using Their Power to Empower – in conversation with Alyse Nelson featuring paintings by Gayle Kabaker – will feature a selection of original portraits, accompanied by thought-provoking excerpts of the first-person narratives included in the book.
IIFT ranked among top 15 best B-schools for 2020
The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) has been ranked 15th best B-schools in five major national rankings for 2020 in the Outlook ICARE B-School survey.
- In the Business Chronicle B-School survey 2020, IIFT has been rated ‘A+++’ Grade in Delhi-NCR Region overall and sixth Best B-School in the country, securing the best score in social responsibility, international collaboration, and industry interactions.
Jan Aushadhi Diwas
Jan Aushadi Diwas is celebrated on March 7 to commemorate the achievements of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadi Pariyojana.
- The days aims to create awareness and providing thrust to the use of generic medicines.
International Women Day
International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on the 8th of March every year around the world.
- This year’s theme for International Women’s Day is, “I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights”.
- And the campaign theme for International Women’s Day 2020 is #EachforEqual.